09-08-2011 07:55 AM
- Phil NickinsonAndroid Central Editor Emeritus
Above is a handy little video featuring some of the bigger additions to the site over the past couple of months. Chances are you've already seen things like the story filter or Superfooter. And it's the Superfooter that we'd like you to focus on for a few minutes.
We've got a quick 25-question survey we'd like you to take regarding the Superfooter. There are no ulterior motives here. We want to make this site even better than it is now, and we want you to have a part in keeping Android Central the best Android community around. Thanks, and we look forward to reading your feedback.
Take the Android Central Superfooter Survey09-06-2011 05:14 PM
- Superfooter has crashed all three of my computers multiple times and even when fixed makes pages load so slowly. The only solution was to use mobile version, m.androidcentral.com.
Superfooter probably works great running off the servers in the office but it was not good in the real world.09-07-2011 09:06 AM
- Seriously... holy skewed survey batman. The questions and answer choices are written so that just about the only result that can be achieved is " most users "like" or "use" the super footer."
I agree with Milo - It a performance nightmare. And frankly, the fact that it takes 4 "page downs" in the video to just show the thing speaks volumes about it's ineffectiveness.
If I may - how sad is it that people feel you need a Twitter feed of site tweets on the site itself! The feed shows fewer stories then what you had to scroll past to see the "feed." Promote Twitter by all means, but why bog down the site with a twitter feed of what you are already looking at? AC is by no means the only one doing this, but unless your twitter content is radically different than your site content, then lose the feed.
In the words of Roger Waters... "Leave spaces for the silence"09-08-2011 07:09 AM
- I avoid the news part of this site because of that footer, and only go to the forums. Something, I am not sophisticated enough to know if it is just the superfooter, makes the page load unbearably slowly. And if I am careless enough to let the visible page dip into the footer, God help me! It may take 5 minutes for me to get back to something I can use, because my browser bogs down and stutters and freezes.
And what is in that footer that I might want to read, any way?
Ads for stuff? Okay, I probably won't buy it, but that belongs there.
Top threads? I'll go to the forums for that. The thread titles are rarely so compelling that they would inspire me to join a forum.
More forum stuff? Seriously, a simple link to the forum (which is already on the top of the page) is plenty.
A picture of some poster? Vaguely creepy, but okay with the other forum stuff, I guess.
More ads for the forum? I had no idea they were even there until I loaded the footer just to write this post, but, um, okay.
"Like" Android forum on Facebook? I HATE those thing, but they are popping up everywhere. I guess they are good for something. I find it especially creepy when it shows me photos I people I know. Yeah, there's no privacy on the internet. Your site knows who all my Facebook links are. Rub my face in it. It's just creepy. Since I never use Facebook at work, and I'm writing this from work, at least it's just random faces today.
Something about Twitter that is almost completely obscured by the next box? Well, that can't be adding any value, since I can't even see what it is.
Meet the team? A page showing off the staff would be nice, but I certainly don't need to see them every time I am there.
Links to your sister sites, with sample articles? Seriously, if I want to know about that stuff I will go to those sites. I suppose a simple link to each site (like PreCentral has at the top of each forum page) is handy -- that's how I found this site. But I have zero interest in Blackberry news, and it's not worth slowing down my browsing by showing me a bunch of sample articles.
The bar at the veeeery bottom, which I would never have found in all the clutter if I hadn't written this, is good stuff. Handy links to site support, advertise here, terms&conditions, etc. are always needed somewhere.09-08-2011 07:50 AM
- All that being said, the footer must have improved, because I was able to write that and my browser didn't crash and burn. Still super annoying, though.
Or not. My browser crashed right after I finished writing this, when I tried to close that window.
I vote to remove it, not just hide it.09-08-2011 07:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD