Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Default Re: Android Central v3 Site Design Goes Live !!!

Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    Blog criticism:

Can you guys PLEASE tone down the big banners at the top?

I'd like to arrive on the site with at least one story visible, instead I have to wait for humongous graphics to load which serve no purpose but to take you to a story (that, chances are, you've already read).

Banner creep seems to be all the rage these days. Some of us read this on data plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    Multi-quote button doesn't work here in the forum...??

Anyway the link above is great if you access it from a book mark or something, but if you arrive via the primary URL, you would expect to click the link in the "Headlines" section and achieve the same results.

However that link (shown below) fails to do anything in any browser I've tried it with:

Click to view quoted image

The multiquote function seems to work good for me. (Win7/IE9)

-Frank
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,241 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

Are you guys still tweaking stuff? Looks like my option "show 40 posts per page" is not working. Stuck on 10.

Tried logging out then back in. Changed it to 30, saved, back to 40, saved. Still shows 10. Using Firefox latest build.

New bug: when there is a really long thread with multiple pages, and you click on "last page" you get taken many pages before the last page.

Edit: Found something that is probably directly tied into the bug above. I have my posts per page set at 30 but its only showing 10 per page.
    So I think the forum is sending me to a page after I hit last page that its thinking I am showing 30 posts per page. Hope that made sense.

Was working fine yesterday, so this just came up today.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

We made some changes today. Do you still have this issue?
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,241 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    Seems ok now. Thanks
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Awesome. Thanks for reporting back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    Works good. Just woke up. I'm in Hawaii.

This post courtesy of Tapatalk2

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Just want to say that this new V3 format in the Forum section is the nutz! Great stuff. Fast, clean, slick looking, makes my computers think they are new. Nice arrangement. About the only thing I would like to see is for the Forum current location pathing menu to be higher on the page. Perhaps just above the new user profile section (which I also like) rather than below. Just under the prime "Android Central" pathing link. Not sure about the "popular/trending" usefulness to me, but I do like the profile stuff up there.

Already way better than all the previous versions that I have seen. Like the color too!

Added note: I very often use my mobile hotspot to access this forum. Needless to say the signal is not always the best and the latency has been a little issue for me in the past (having to click on something twice because the site didn't respond fast enough to deal with my wireless latency). Well, this new format is way better. I virtually never have to click on any link twice anymore. I attribute this to the site being faster. Guessing maybe in the ad server areas and such. Anyway, very nice.

Thanks!!!

-Frank

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Jelly Bean!

It would be great if we had back a comment rating system, but maybe a +1 system?

Also, it would be great if we could get notifications when someone replies to our comments.

Otherwise, I haven't seen any bugs and I love the new modern feel of the site .
    HAAS599 likes this.

Looks great on the iPad. Love the redesign. Makes me visit the site even more

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Paranoid Android

On the main page there is a sidebar item that lists "Latest Headlines". This seems a little redundant. What is the use case for this existing? I would like to see it replaced with a "Most Discussed" for the past 2-3 days on the sidebar since there is no way to sort the stories by comment counts. Also, if someone has been off the grid for a few days he/she could just load up the AC homepage and quickly see the major stories they missed.

I would also put the download official app, wallpapers, podcast, etc. part of the sidebar higher up on the totem pole.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

I'll let the guys on the blog side respond to your suggestion, but I did want to say that your avatar is dope! Those were the days

Could you put back a dedicated 'podcasts' tab? I am not sure how to find them now.

thank you

Long time listener, first time caller. Well, not really but you get the idea. Anyways, the new site does not have an obvious way / link to find the weekly podcasts. It used to be in the top area somewhere but now i have to really look to find it. Also, the shopandroid.com site does not have an obvious way to link back to Android Central. You can select a link to get to Shop Android from AC but I always have to open a new tab / window to get back to Android Central. Since are both affiliated, then it should be easy to go back and forth between sites. Thanks for listening.

I noticed another "issue" today. I had a news tip that I wanted to send in, and I couldn't find a "contact us" or "tip us" link on the main blog page. I search for a good 3 or 4 minutes (manually and with my browsers search function) and didn't find anything. I ended up going into the podcast post because I know there always a contact us link in there.

Anyway, there used to be a "contact us" or "tip us" link on the main page. Can we please bring that back?

I've said it before, but this v3 update is awesome. And I really appreciate and respect how actively yall are incorporating feedback from your users. Keep up the good work.

It's pretty, but it's still ridiculous that I have to scroll down before I can read even the first sentence of the first article.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan29466 View Post
    It's pretty, but it's still ridiculous that I have to scroll down before I can read even the first sentence of the first article.
    Agreed.

It would be one thing if the thing taking up all the room at the top was advertising. At least that would be a valid excuse.

But the monster images are simply links to stories. The are just links!! Sometimes they are links to articles you could actually see and read, except for the fact that the link is in the way!

The designer doesn't seem to recognize that readers learn to ignore useless information. They quickly scroll past these things without even looking at them. So why punish every visitor with these gaudy huge images every visit?

They are links to old articles, that you've already read on prior visits.

They aren't revenue producing ads.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Does anyone know where to download the Android Central "theme" music for a ringtone? I would like to set the intro music on the site's videos as a ringtone.

I apologize if this has been covered before, but I could not find it after many searches.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123