Android Central v3 Site Design Goes Live !!!

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I was not kidding about the white. I think it's the white that gives it such a nice clean and crisp unobstructed look. I really do like it.

Hey, is there any way you could fix it so when you scroll totally to the top of the forum, that you could see the path navigation bar?

This one..

Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com > HTC Android Phones > Verizon HTC Thunderbolt Forums > Thunderbolt better with age

I'm so used to just scrolling to the top of forum pages and quickly choosing to change area this way (or bottom, same issue here at AC). It it s little bit of a pain to have to hunt for it because it is below so many other things. I wind up scrolling to the top, then down until I find it, sometimes passing it yet again, and then scrolling back up, then clicking on where I want to go. Oh... and it is such a small font.

Thanks for all the work. I do like this v3!

-Frank

Last edited:

CrackBerry Kevin

Mobile Nations Chief Media Officer
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Good feedback. We'll put this on the to do list as something to look at. The font on the breadcrumb definitely is a little small, especially relative to the other fonts we're using which are quite a bit bigger. In the same note, we also want to work on the pagination a bit (page one, two, etc.) so it's a bit bigger - need to be easy to tap when browsing on a phone.

Yeah, I was not kidding about the white. I think it's the white that gives it such a nice clean and crisp unobstructed look. I really do like it.

Hey, is there any way you could fix it so when you scroll totally to the top of the forum, that you could see the path navigation bar?

This one..

Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com > HTC Android Phones > Verizon HTC Thunderbolt Forums > Thunderbolt better with age

I'm so used to just scrolling to the top of forum pages and quickly choosing to change area this way (or bottom, same issue here at AC). It it s little bit of a pain to have to hunt for it because it is below so many other things. I wind up scrolling to the top, then down until I find it, sometimes passing it yet again, and then scrolling back up, then clicking on where I want to go. Oh... and it is such a small font.

Thanks for all the work. I do like this v3!

-Frank

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site

Multi-quote button doesn't work here in the forum...??

Anyway the link above is great if you access it from a book mark or something, but if you arrive via the primary URL, you would expect to click the link in the "Headlines" section and achieve the same results.

However that link (shown below) fails to do anything in any browser I've tried it with:

attachment.php

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Pretty sure that link is just there to let you get out of phone-only, tablet-only views. You can't really expect a huge web site to banish banners just for you -- I'm surprised they gave you a link at all. lol.

Anyway the link above is great if you access it from a book mark or something, but if you arrive via the primary URL, you would expect to click the link in the "Headlines" section and achieve the same results.

However that link (shown below) fails to do anything in any browser I've tried it with:

Click to view quoted image

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Bug report. I'm having an issue with how the forum shown old vs new (i.e. read vs unread) threads. Sometimes I log in and it shows threads as yellow (unread) even though I've read those threads and there hasn't been any new post on them. Sometimes I log in and it shows threads as blue (read), but it's definitely new stuff I haven't seen.

I've been trying to pay attention, but I haven't been able to figure out a pattern. Maybe you guys can look into it. Or maybe I'm just not using the forum right, and someone needs to expain it to me.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Blog criticism:

Can you guys PLEASE tone down the big banners at the top?

I'd like to arrive on the site with at least one story visible, instead I have to wait for humongous graphics to load which serve no purpose but to take you to a story (that, chances are, you've already read).

Banner creep seems to be all the rage these days. Some of us read this on data plans.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24305&stc=1&d=1335458991

The multiquote function seems to work good for me.

-Frank

Last edited:

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Blog criticism:

Can you guys PLEASE tone down the big banners at the top?

I'd like to arrive on the site with at least one story visible, instead I have to wait for humongous graphics to load which serve no purpose but to take you to a story (that, chances are, you've already read).

Banner creep seems to be all the rage these days. Some of us read this on data plans.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24305&stc=1&d=1335458991

The multiquote function seems to work good for me. (Win7/IE9)

-Frank

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Are you guys still tweaking stuff? Looks like my option "show 40 posts per page" is not working. Stuck on 10.

Tried logging out then back in. Changed it to 30, saved, back to 40, saved. Still shows 10. Using Firefox latest build.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
New bug: when there is a really long thread with multiple pages, and you click on "last page" you get taken many pages before the last page.

Edit: Found something that is probably directly tied into the bug above. I have my posts per page set at 30 but its only showing 10 per page.
So I think the forum is sending me to a page after I hit last page that its thinking I am showing 30 posts per page. Hope that made sense.

Was working fine yesterday, so this just came up today.

Last edited:

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Just want to say that this new V3 format in the Forum section is the nutz! Great stuff. Fast, clean, slick looking, makes my computers think they are new. Nice arrangement. About the only thing I would like to see is for the Forum current location pathing menu to be higher on the page. Perhaps just above the new user profile section (which I also like) rather than below. Just under the prime "Android Central" pathing link. Not sure about the "popular/trending" usefulness to me, but I do like the profile stuff up there.

Already way better than all the previous versions that I have seen. Like the color too! :)

Added note: I very often use my mobile hotspot to access this forum. Needless to say the signal is not always the best and the latency has been a little issue for me in the past (having to click on something twice because the site didn't respond fast enough to deal with my wireless latency). Well, this new format is way better. I virtually never have to click on any link twice anymore. I attribute this to the site being faster. Guessing maybe in the ad server areas and such. Anyway, very nice.

Thanks!!!

-Frank

Last edited:

Go Android!

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
It would be great if we had back a comment rating system, but maybe a +1 system?

Also, it would be great if we could get notifications when someone replies to our comments.

Otherwise, I haven't seen any bugs and I love the new modern feel of the site :).

HAAS599

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
On the main page there is a sidebar item that lists "Latest Headlines". This seems a little redundant. What is the use case for this existing? I would like to see it replaced with a "Most Discussed" for the past 2-3 days on the sidebar since there is no way to sort the stories by comment counts. Also, if someone has been off the grid for a few days he/she could just load up the AC homepage and quickly see the major stories they missed.

I would also put the download official app, wallpapers, podcast, etc. part of the sidebar higher up on the totem pole.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX