Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I suggest that you update your terms and conditions

After a post I made to a forum this morning was edited (I assume automatically), I looked very carefully at the androidcentral.com terms and conditions document. It states:

(iv) we may use affiliate links to products and or services for which we sometimes receive compensation.
    This sentence does not make precisely clear the practice that I discovered this morning: that you ADD your affiliate tag to forum user posts that link to products on sites like Amazon.com, for which you are an affiliate.

I felt deceived when I saw my post modified this morning. I would not have minded if you had been up-front and straightforward, and simply made your practice clear in your T's & C's. I think you owe it to your community to state this practice publicly.

Thank you very much for your consideration.

Roy

Default Re: I suggest that you update your terms and conditions

Why does this bother you? I've seen this practice used on numerous forums and often it is useful for someone that wants further info on a product or issue.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by weebeesteve View Post
    Why does this bother you? I've seen this practice used on numerous forums and often it is useful for someone that wants further info on a product or issue.
    It bothers me that the ownership of the site did not see fit to inform me when I joined that they would use information that I post as a means to make money for themselves. Yes, other sites do it, but it's part of the user agreement. Here, it is not.
    Mobile Nations Chief Media Officer

Global Posts
    3,763 Global Posts

@Roy_Baty - thanks for the note on this. With 2013 here I was already planning to do our annual audit of site terms and conditions this week, so I'll be sure to add some further explanation to how affiliate links can work on the sites. We've historically had in our forum rules that we reserve the right to update forum post links with our own affiliate or direct links when applicable, but I'll make sure it gets into the main T&C for the sites.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks very much!