An open letter to the moderators of this forum

Spartacus MD

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Before you remove this thread or claim it is not in the right spot, let me just say that this is the perfect spot. I am a GS4 owner and this is the only part of the forum I visit, and I suspect it is the only part that a lot of members have visited. Furthermore, the moderators recently closed a thread after the discussion of how certain mods are acting went public. It is clear that a public discussion needs to occur and this is the perfect time and place for it. I want to reiterate that no one has done anything wrong to me and all moderators have been polite, cordial, professional, and so far just with me. However, I see certain ones picking on others or throwing out sarcastic jabs every now and then it has left a sour taste in my mouth and many others'.

In another thread a moderator made the arrogant claim of saying "Doesn't really matter what you say. Its a mods decision on whether the thread stays up or not" after someone jokingly said they should close the thread. Another one went on to say "If that makes us a "boss" then fine, but that's your title for us, not our title for ourselves." This is wrong and not in good spirit. I am a surgeon by profession and I do not have time to write letters like this or to engage in silly online fights. I merely want to state my opinion (and not to any one particular moderator thats why PMing is not an option). I am surrounded daily by power tripping and arrogant people so I know one when I see one. To add another divot to this tumulus of evidence, many members have come forth in the previous thread and stated they were unhappy as well. This is an open forum, why not discuss it publicly? If you make people PM you , then all you've done is take the forum out of "forum." You know dictators use a similar technique except its termed "oppression" and "divide and conquer."

The question from the previous thread, which is now locked, remains. Why is it that certain moderators (really I think we can all name the one or two) feel the need to jut out as much arrogance as they can? What is it that goes on in your real life that makes you want to make a forum for phones so unpleasant. Its a sad state of affairs when one feels overpowered and bothered by moderators.

Please help us understand why people's requests for a more lax environment have gone unanswered and why some moderators are so heavy handed with their words. This is not meant to be an adversarial relationship but rather a community. If the health and enjoyment of this board is of any concern you will let an open, civil, and honest discussion occur in this thread.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Dear Author,

I have found, that for those people that are following the rules, which can be found here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/faq.php?faq=generalacrules#faq_acrules , this is a very easy to get along with moderation team. If you're having issues, a first step might be to self examine the respectfulness of your conduct relative to the context of those rules and the tone of the situation for which you're choosing to insert yourself. If you believe this letter to be polite, the arrogance you perceive is going two directions.

If, given all of these resources for recourse you find yourself still unable to reconcile your behavioral preferences with this location, it definitely is an at-will relationship and you're free to quit it. There is no freedom of speech implied in the forums section of a privately owned website. If you want a place to say whatever you want in whatever manner you choose, either find a site that has terms of usage that match your needs, or start your own.

Edit: More direct link: http://forums.mobilenations.com/rules-policies/500-community-rules-guidelines.html

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I think the mods here do a great job for the most part...

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 running Liquid Smooth v2.7 with a 7000mah extended battery powered by ZeroLemon... Because I'm not a chick, a guy with dainty hands or an HTC one user :p

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Also, while we can have this discussion, rest assured that it has already happened within the Mod team and other appropriate parties. Of course we will take any constructive feedback and/or criticism into consideration, but you also should realize just how large of a community we have. You see only a very small part of it when you visit. As Moderators we have a responsibility to the community as a whole, and cannot overlook that fact when making decisions that can set precedents for handling future situations.

The status quo for complaints about Moderators is to take it to PM. That will continue to be the case.

It's not lost on us that members communicate outside of the forums, and in some cases it appears that replies are "coordinated". No, we can't do anything about that. We don't WANT to do anything about that. What we also can't have is the constant undermining of Moderators in threads. We are human, and can make mistakes. We have a policy too discuss things amongst each other so that the best decision can be collectively made. Humans, as you know, make mistakes. When we recognize them, we will correct them.

Also, I will always have my Moderators backs. They have my full trust and support, and were all chosen for a reason.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

byeblackberry

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree with your post. I said thanks internet police officer to someone before and was told to stop the name calling and then was called a name by the mod. I questioned this tactic and was given a warning buy another mod that was no part of the conversation.

Posted via Android Central App

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If that makes us a "boss" then fine, but that's your title for us, not our title for ourselves.

^^^ that's what I said

Furthermore, we don't consider ourselves bosses. We have responsibilities that go far beyond rule enforcement. We really don't like enforcing rules. It's our least favorite thing to do.

Spartacus MD

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Also, while we can have this discussion, rest assured that it has already happened within the Mod team and other appropriate parties. Of course we will take any constructive feedback and/or criticism into consideration, but you also should realize just how large of a community we have. You see only a very small part of it when you visit. As Moderators we have a responsibility to the community as a whole, and cannot overlook that fact when making decisions that can set precedents for handling future situations.

The status quo for complaints about Moderators is to take it to PM. That will continue to be the case.

It's not list on its that members communicate outside of the forums, and in some cases it appears that replies are "coordinated". No, we can't do anything about that. We don't WANT to do anything about that. What we also can't have is the constant undermining of Moderators in threads. We are human, and can make mistakes. We have a policy too discuss things amongst each other so that the best decision can be collectively made. Humans, as you know, make mistakes. When we recognize them, we will correct them.

Also, I will always have my Moderators backs. They have my full trust and support, and were all chosen for a reason.

Thanks for the thorough reply. I know there are plenty of other things you moderators do aside from sit here and talk to me in this particular thread, so I appreciate the time.

I want to stress again, I don't have a problem with the "system" or PMing a moderator who might have said something inappropriate to me. I agree with Soundtrack to chaos that the moderators here are really nice and for the most part only excercise that "power" when it is needed. Humans make mistakes and it is not when a moderator makes mistakes that bothers me, its when they do it over and over again even after multiple complaints.

I don't mean to undermine anyone, and if I've come across as arrogant myself then I'm sorry. I simply want to let you know that one of your fellow colleagues has consistently made unabashed rude remarks directed at other people and it managed to anger even me, a relatively calm guy, so I can't imagine how those people felt. Its not about what you do as mods, or what system you have between yourselves, or what is the "standard operating procedure" its how you present yourself and the attitude you carry yourself with. And one of your moderators does not carry the attitude of someone who wants to help, but rather of someone who likes...well tripping on power.

I can only relate to you what I'm saying by giving you an example from my own job. If you go to a surgeon for a hernia repair or any other surgical procedure, which of the following would you rather hear from the surgeon?

1.)Sir, I'm about to slice and dice you which a super sharp knife and I'm going to electrocute some of your body parts off while you're passed out and there is nothing you can do anything about it because I'm the surgeon and you are the patient.

2.) Sir, this is going to be a relatively simple procedure and one that I've done many times.We are going to find your hernia and surgically repair it using the latest technology available to us. .After the surgery we will together work on rehabilitating you and getting you back to work as fast as possible. Do you have any questions or concerns? Is there something we can work on if you feel afraid or unprepared?

I can promise you that option #1 is true but if I said that to my patients, I'd be out of business.

jdoee100

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Furthermore, we don't consider ourselves bosses. We have responsibilities that go far beyond rule enforcement. We really don't like enforcing rules. It's our least favorite thing to do.

That's what spartacus said as well(unless he went back and changed it). I want to say more, but I don't want to get too personal or fight. But, I'm starting to see that it's pointless to argue further.

At least, it's out there now, and maybe moderators will think twice before saying something rude.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the thorough reply. I know there are plenty of other things you moderators do aside from sit here and talk to me in this particular thread, so I appreciate the time.

I want to stress again, I don't have a problem with the "system" or PMing a moderator who might have said something inappropriate to me. I agree with Soundtrack to chaos that the moderators here are really nice and for the most part only excercise that "power" when it is needed. Humans make mistakes and it is not when a moderator makes mistakes that bothers me, its when they do it over and over again even after multiple complaints.

I don't mean to undermine anyone, and if I've come across as arrogant myself then I'm sorry. I simply want to let you know that one of your fellow colleagues has consistently made unabashed rude remarks directed at other people and it managed to anger even me, a relatively calm guy, so I can't imagine how those people felt. Its not about what you do as mods, or what system you have between yourselves, or what is the "standard operating procedure" its how you present yourself and the attitude you carry yourself with. And one of your moderators does not carry the attitude of someone who wants to help, but rather of someone who likes...well tripping on power.

I can only relate to you what I'm saying by giving you an example from my own job. If you go to a surgeon for a hernia repair or any other surgical procedure, which of the following would you rather hear from the surgeon?

1.)Sir, I'm about to slice and dice you which a super sharp knife and I'm going to electrocute some of your body parts off while you're passed out and there is nothing you can do anything about it because I'm the surgeon and you are the patient.

2.) Sir, this is going to be a relatively simple procedure and one that I've done many times.We are going to find your hernia and surgically repair it using the latest technology available to us. .After the surgery we will together work on rehabilitating you and getting you back to work as fast as possible. Do you have any questions or concerns? Is there something we can work on if you feel afraid or unprepared?

I can promise you that option #1 is true but if I said that to my patients, I'd be out of business.

Please, go to their profile and read their posts. I promise that they aren't as you say, and if something has been said in a post with a "moderator tone" it was warranted. Also, calling someone a troll is a form of trolling, and warrants an infraction. Posting a warning in a thread is kind of like getting a pass, if I'm being an honest.

I do also appreciate your well thought out reply. I will continue this conversation as long as it remains constructive.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
That's what spartacus said as well(unless he went back and changed it). I want to say more, but I don't want to get too personal or fight. But, I'm starting to see that it's pointless to argue further.

I guess the difference is that I'm not arguing. I'm discussing and having a conversation. It's not about what you say, it's how you articulate it that matters.

Spartacus MD

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree with your post. I said thanks internet police officer to someone before and was told to stop the name calling and then was called a name by the mod. I questioned this tactic and was given a warning buy another mod that was no part of the conversation.

I've seen you pop-up a few times in this "mod type" discussions, and if what you said is true-I can see why.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Context matters. You're leaving a whole lot of what happened there out of what you said.

Spartacus MD

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Please, go to their profile and read their posts. I promise that they aren't as you say, and if something has been said in a post with a "moderator tone" it was warranted. Also, calling someone a troll is a form of trolling, and warrants an infraction. Posting a warning in a thread is kind of like getting a pass, if I'm being an honest.

I do also appreciate your well thought out reply. I will continue this conversation as long as it remains constructive.

Thanks, I will go ahead and take a look at some of their profiles, knowing that they're probably going to seem like very pleasant people. I just wish they'd show that same kind of "down to earth"ness in their posts.

I'm going to sit back a bit and let the people who haven't had a chance to see this thread yet put in their two cents. Thanks for being open to this.

To JDOEE100, the point isn't to convince anyone that they are wrong....it is to show them that there is more than one way to do something right.

jdoee100

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
To JDOEE100, the point isn't to convince anyone that they are wrong....it is to show them that there is more than one way to do something right.
You and I have different philosophies. I believe, it's good to point out wrong to let them know what they're doing wrong(of course, if you can, gentle way possible). But I see your way is probably better in many cases. I'm just more direct. I find direct way more honest and better at the end.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the OP, and I am not going to read all of the replies, (I have read a few) but I will add that I have been PM'd for "trolling" which I find absolutely absurd. If anyone took the time to read my profile and find my other posts, you can see I am anything but. Yes I have an opinion and as long as I'm keeping with the topic, I don't see any reason I can't share it.

Things have definitely changed in this forum, I've been a member for years. The changes make me want to leave and not come back, and honestly, I don't think I'm alone. These forums become incredibly large and the community can't be controlled as well, then it becomes OVER controlled and ultimately fails. I've been in the "online forum" arena for twenty years and have seen it happen many times.

I hope everyone can get it together.

?Sent from my Sprint GS4 using Tapatalk ?
?? Formerly "Evo_girl"

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the post, I've only had an issue with one mod.

They told me to watch my mouth, but then used profanity and nothing was done about them.

How are you going to enforce rules that you break and that person is still a mod, why?

Rules should apply equally for all, not who the mods like and dislike...

Other than that, I haven't had a problem with any other mod

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: