Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 7plymaple
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android Central Thinks I Have Apple Safari 5 When I Use Boat Browser

Hi everyone,
    So I recently uninstalled and re-installed boat browser and since then I cannot log into these forums. I get this message "This website would like to remind you: Your browser (Apple Safari 5) is out of date. Update your browser for more security, comfort and the best experience on this site."

Edit: Just to add a little more info. I can log in just fine without getting this message with the stock browser. But with boat I get the message and a link to download a different browser. But it will not let me log in. When I try to log in with boat I just get returned to the forums without being logged in.

Did I somehow get the wrong version of boat browser? Not sure what I screwed up.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks.

Default Re: Android Central Thinks I Have Apple Safari 5 When I Use Boat Browser

We endeavour to make all of Mobile Nations compatible with ALL browsers... and that message you receive is actually from US, letting you know that it is best to update or change your browser to get the best experience here at Android Central.

I suspect something funny is going on with the way Boat handles our sites. At this point I'd simply suggest sticking to Chrome, unless there's a specific reason you need to use Boat?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Android Central Thinks I Have Apple Safari 5 When I Use Boat Browser

Quote Originally Posted by James Falconer View Post
    We endeavour to make all of Mobile Nations compatible with ALL browsers... and that message you receive is actually from US, letting you know that it is best to update or change your browser to get the best experience here at Android Central.

I suspect something funny is going on with the way Boat handles our sites. At this point I'd simply suggest sticking to Chrome, unless there's a specific reason you need to use Boat?
    I just find boat is the most convenient for me. It works well with flash and has a close button. You can set it to close and clear your history with the push of that one button.

I guess i will add another browser or just use stock for androidcentral.

Thanks.
    Mutt224 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by James Falconer View Post

So I downloaded Opera and this site won't let me log in. With either boat or opera it does the same thing. I put in my username and password then get returned to the forums page and I am not logged in. No messages regarding incorrect password or anything. Any idea what that might be?

Thanks.

Global Posts
    20,209 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

I'm getting the same message using Next browser and Dolphin. They're both on Desktop mode, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. If it does, it shouldn't.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    I'm getting the same message using Next browser and Dolphin. They're both on Desktop mode, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. If it does, it shouldn't.
    Something is weird here. I installed both opera and firefox browsers just so I can use this site. Opera lets me go through the process of signing in but I end up back at the same screen where I clicked on "Log In" without being logged in. Firefox works but is horribly slow to load each page. Like "I don't know if its frozen" slow.

I'm using the desktop mode too. I have yet to encounter a mobile version of any site that doesn't make me want to just grab my laptop.

Edit: With both Opera and Firefox the browser out of date message does not show up. But they don't work.

@7plymaple - in Firefox and Opera, can you try clearing your cookies, and then try again?

Global Posts
    20,209 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

I can get around it by changing to mobile, logging in, then changing back to desktop. I can't believe that all the latest versions of the Android browsers we use claim to be Safari 5 in desktop mode.

But if you can confirm that, James, I'm going to write to the developer of every browser I use and ask them to please keep their code up to date. Before they issue a new version they should check that it's claiming to be the latest version of the browser it claims to be. It's such trivial coding to save users such major problems that there would be no reason for them not to. Google download safari and you see that it's currently at 5.17. Change your code to read 5.17. It's not a major project. (We accept 5.17 at this time - I just checked, so we're [you're] doing it right.)

Before you do that, let me have tech check the 'update bar' (or whatever you want to call it). Could be a problem with that, and nothing more.