Moderate Comments on articles / blogs Pleeaese!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I love Android Central and the members, ambassadors and moderators. I like Phil Nickenson and all the great writers, reporters and reviewers.

Comments on articles are surely the ground for helpful contributions and additions to articles, and perfect for witty healthy banter. We all like that.

But I have reached the stage where I won't comment any more, and so will visit the articles less.

The level of crudity and offensiveness is now too much.
Even today. Yesterday's (06/09) article for example on Google Now and bus stop alerts was atrocious.
Some from my country let themselves down badly. I know it's called trolling, but that's a misdescription(?).

Many will reply I should face the real world, and other nonsense. I love AC for the attitude and behaviour of its members.

I have not been the object of abuse, or got involved in arguments. But I also don't like seeing writers getting unwarranted criticism and mild abuse. I'm sure they are used to it, but I don't like reading it.

Honestly, allowing this abuse is a disservice to other great members. It's ugly.

I may stay in my own sub-forums and batten down the hatches for now!

Stay posted. I will have another rant next week.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Trust me, we share your frustration! Thanks for posting your feedback on this though, this is stuff we need to hear.

We ARE working on a new commenting system, along with a number of other enhancements. Lots of balls in the air at the moment and the comments section in the blogs is something we are not going to overlook.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I love Android Central and the members, ambassadors and moderators. I like Phil Nickenson and all the great writers, reporters and reviewers.

Comments on articles are surely the ground for helpful contributions and additions to articles, and perfect for witty healthy banter. We all like that.

But I have reached the stage where I won't comment any more, and so will visit the articles less.

The level of crudity and offensiveness is now too much.
Even today. Yesterday's (06/09) article for example on Google Now and bus stop alerts was atrocious.
Some from my country let themselves down badly. I know it's called trolling, but that's a misdescription(?).

Many will reply I should face the real world, and other nonsense. I love AC for the attitude and behaviour of its members.

I have not been the object of abuse, or got involved in arguments. But I also don't like seeing writers getting unwarranted criticism and mild abuse. I'm sure they are used to it, but I don't like reading it.

Honestly, allowing this abuse is a disservice to other great members. It's ugly.

I may stay in my own sub-forums and batten down the hatches for now!

Stay posted. I will have another rant next week.

I just read through them. I saw the article headline a few hours after it posted, thought it was a good idea, and just moved on.

I am inclined to agree; comments that are off topic should be removed. However, some of the comments on other sites are worse, like Reddit. When I made my Keep guide, I used my camera to capture images. Some guy on Reddit made a snide comment that I should read a guide on how to take screenshots. It kinda goes with the territory.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I just read through them. I saw the article headline a few hours after it posted, thought it was a good idea, and just moved on.

I am inclined to agree; comments that are off topic should be removed. However, some of the comments on other sites are worse, like Reddit. When I made my Keep guide, I used my camera to capture images. Some guy on Reddit made a snide comment that I should read a guide on how to take screenshots. It kinda goes with the territory.

No. It's not that they were off topic, or a snide remark. It was a lot worse than that. I don't need to read that foul abuse, so I won't if it's gonna stay there. So those articles won't be read by me
HOWEVER - it does occur to me now we may be seeing different articles and comments. I was surprised at first that a lot of articles have a UK base. Even though the Google Now and US bus stops was not one, maybe comments from UK members are only seen here. I don't know.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No. It's not that they were off topic, or a snide remark. It was a lot worse than that. I don't need to read that foul abuse, so I won't if it's gonna stay there. So those articles won't be read by me
HOWEVER - it does occur to me now we may be seeing different articles and comments. I was surprised at first that a lot of articles have a UK base. Even though the Google Now and US bus stops was not one, maybe comments from UK members are only seen here. I don't know.

I think we are seeing the same ones. Some of the ones I read were downright abusive. I used the phrase 'off topic' to cover not only the abusive comments, but other comments that just go into left field for no reason.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Reading the comments a day later they seem to have been edited or cleaned up just a little, or my senility is setting in; but there have been other bad comment threads.

Everyone on the latest articles are behaving like angels. - Ho Hum.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
New SwiftKey release comments - and we're back .......
Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure Phil and the rest of the blog team are aware of the comments and will do their best to clean things up within reason.

Just so everyone is aware the Moderators of Android Central don't have any control over moderating the blog, that section is monitored and maintained by Phil Nickinson and the rest of the writers under Android Central's hat.

You can always use the Contact Us option from the Hamburger icon on the blog page to contact the editorial (blog) team about anything.

Contact Us.png

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Just so everyone is aware the Moderators of Android Central don't have any control over moderating the blog, that section is monitored and maintained by Phil Nickinson and the rest of the writers under Android Central's hat.

i like it that way.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a Greasemonkey script that changes the curse words and it works on here but many sites like C-Net, Netflix, Engadget with comments it does not work at all which is why I block the comments using AdBlock.

Still don't get why the forums censor the bad words but the comments in the articles don't as they both use the same login account.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech