Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default A request for AndroidCentral and all android sites.

With all the rumors flying around about Samsung and why they aren't providing updates to US phone owners, I would like to make a request of all of the sites providing quality Android coverage.

Stop doing product announcements, reviews, and leaks of Samsung devices.

Samsung has shown they do not care about the customers they acquired through the carriers and the Galaxy S line. They have shown they will repeatedly misrepresent the availability of upcoming fixes that they have promised since August. Their facebook pages are littered with hundreds if not thousands of users crying out for an answer or even a response as to why! They are ignoring us much as the quotation "Let them eat cake!" attributed (incorrectly or not) to Marie Antoinette ignored the needs, wants and desires of the working class.

Samsung want us to eat eclair.

The reason I am making this request of the Android sites out there is because of the weight and influence you carry. Thousands of people every day get locked into carrier contracts for 2 years purchasing devices that your early product reviews make sound wonderful, when many are proven over time to fall short. While their ultimate dissatisfaction lies with the manufacturer, the reviews are at least partly responsible. I understand you walk a fine line already as it is but continued support of a company whose policies are so anti consumer is irresponsible and damaging to your readership.

Recall the public outrage over the tech issues companies would have ignored in the past, the Pentium floating point division bug comes to mind, and Intel's brush off of consumer concern. Most recently though the iPhone 4 antenna issue come to mind. Even a company as traditionally stoic as Apple eventually had to come to answer the increasingly repeated claims, true or not. Now we are talking an order of magnitude in the difference of scope, there are nearly 10x as many iOs devices out there compared to Galaxy S though (iPhone 4 compared to Galaxy S is much closer). so in comparison lets use a know way to determine the weight of comments on an issue.

If you google "samsung galaxy S gps problem" you get 979,000 results, google "iphone 4 antenna problem" and get 1,010,000 results.

Now taking into account there is a difference in the number of users how is it that those numbers are so close?

In closing I again repeat my request. Cease all coverage of Samsung products until they take responsibility for taking care of their customer base by providing actual software updates instead of lip service.

This request will be echoed here An Open Request to all Android Sites | PatentlyStupid

Thanks for your time.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

The answer is much simpler than that.
    Would you ever buy a Samsung phone again?
    Would you recommend a Samsung phone to any of your friends?.

Just, sell it off ebay and get an HTC.

The answer is simple. Just take the plunge root your phones and install cyanogen mod. Touch wiz is not really that far off from AOSP and cyanogen is already coming out with Android 2.3 Gingerbread.

Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Goodness 3.0.0

thats well written...i gotta give you that...but i dont think these sites will plunged into something like that..but i agree will the other posters...sell it off and buy something else, or plainly just dont buy samsung again....there are alot of poeple in your position, so i think samsung is gonna take a big hit from all of this.....but i can see where your coming from though

I agree and disagree. I agree to the point that samsungs galaxy s line in lacking of the froyo updates. I disagree with the idea that they should stop reviewing the products. Just because a website reviews something means you HAVE to buy it. That falls onto you the consumer. Now your having buyers remorse because of a lack of support and are in someway lashing out on the websites that are reviewing the products.

Relax about it. Its not the end of the world.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I would think you want more website reviews of their phones. More opportunities to point out the outdated OS and the history of not providing upgrades/updates.

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

Perhaps the reviews could include information on how well the manufacturer typically supports their products post-sale, for the average user who may not be aware. I can tell you that HTC has done a remarkable job of keeping the EVO updated.

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

I agree the more reviews it gets about having an outdated os that will speak louder than anything else. Once people see that it can't do the same thing as other phones w/ a newer os people will most likely not buy them. The phone is probably a great phone just needs a new os. No need to totally slam the phone. The other thing is file a class action lawsuit cited poor support or something along those lines.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by shadeoblac View Post
    The answer is simple. Just take the plunge root your phones and install cyanogen mod. Touch wiz is not really that far off from AOSP and cyanogen is already coming out with Android 2.3 Gingerbread.
    That is a simple answer, but it voids warranties. A step that I feel shouldn't have to be taken.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by jkurl View Post
    I agree the more reviews it gets about having an outdated os that will speak louder than anything else. Once people see that it can't do the same thing as other phones w/ a newer os people will most likely not buy them. The phone is probably a great phone just needs a new os. No need to totally slam the phone. The other thing is file a class action lawsuit cited poor support or something along those lines.
    The hardware, not including the GPS seems quite good and capable of quite a bit but without updates it will quickly fall behind. The problem comes in when Samsung representatives from August Through November promised updates on twitter, on facebook and where are those? And do you think that maybe someone on the fence seeing the initial bad press for one of the Galaxy models might have been influenced by those empty promises?

I just want them to do whats right. Not continue to promise a future they arent willing to give.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    Perhaps the reviews could include information on how well the manufacturer typically supports their products post-sale, for the average user who may not be aware. I can tell you that HTC has done a remarkable job of keeping the EVO updated.
    This would be the best thing to happen, but also keep in mind many reviews are short tests. The GPS on the captivate after a flash can last and work marginally well for a short time. Heck the Engadget review for the Nexus S barely mentioned the device had a GPS and did not evaluate it at all. Someone going on the no news is good news view of the world may think that means its fixed and while the Nexus certainly operates better, even a little bit of rain clouds can mean it cant make a lock. Its GPS has 20% better signal from what I have seen on my wifes when compared to my Captivate.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by rich.x87 View Post
    The answer is much simpler than that.
    Would you ever buy a Samsung phone again?
    Would you recommend a Samsung phone to any of your friends?.

Just, sell it off ebay and get an HTC.
    I wish I could get out of my 2 year contract that easy. Without cost to me. Thats one of the reasons I am taking this so personally. The locked in nature.

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Carrier
    X:DS 4.2 X10:CM 6.1.3

Look I agree with everything you said, but what you want will never happen. This, and other Android sites, are just that Android sites. If Samsung brings out an Android device, AC and every other Android site, have a responsibility to their readers to write and review it. IF you are buying a device based on those reviews, then there is your problem. A review is just that, and you should not be buying based on them. You should be going into your local carrier store and physically playing with the device to get a better look at it. Now I understand your frustration with the "lies" Samsung reps have posted on Twitter and Facebook, but you cannot expect Phil, Jerry, or anybody else to give Samsung the cold shoulder. It's unfortunate that they have put themselves in this position, but trust me, they will see a decline in sales from all this bad press. Next time just don't buy a Samsung phone. There are other manufacturers that are better in IMO anyway. HTC and Moto top the list.
    Chris Kerrigan likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Icon View Post
    Now I understand your frustration with the "lies" Samsung reps have posted on Twitter and Facebook, but you cannot expect Phil, Jerry, or anybody else to give Samsung the cold shoulder. It's unfortunate that they have put themselves in this position, but trust me, they will see a decline in sales from all this bad press. Next time just don't buy a Samsung phone. There are other manufacturers that are better in IMO anyway. HTC and Moto top the list.
    No, I cant expect it, but there was no harm in asking them to think about their obligation to the community. There are many companies whom react with a moral compass nowadays. Just look at all the companies surrounding the whole Wikileaks scandal. Twitter is fighting the goverment wanting disclosure of all information about Julians account, why? Are they going to loose money by doing so? Not likely, they may get attacked by Anonymous but thats not their motivating factor. Amazon removed the wikileaks info on their site based on their own morals and paypal acted on theirs.

Some companies have more loyalty to their users and community than to their wallets, consider this a benchmark, to see if the android sites community has the moral outrage or if they are willing to say blah, you got screwed not my problem, now let me earn my paycheck.

Global Posts
    4,145 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by rahlquist View Post
    No, I cant expect it, but there was no harm in asking them to think about their obligation to the community. There are many companies whom react with a moral compass nowadays. Just look at all the companies surrounding the whole Wikileaks scandal. Twitter is fighting the goverment wanting disclosure of all information about Julians account, why? Are they going to loose money by doing so? Not likely, they may get attacked by Anonymous but thats not their motivating factor. Amazon removed the wikileaks info on their site based on their own morals and paypal acted on theirs.

Some companies have more loyalty to their users and community than to their wallets, consider this a benchmark, to see if the android sites community has the moral outrage or if they are willing to say blah, you got screwed not my problem, now let me earn my paycheck.
    Although I agree with some of your sentiments, I would hardly call not acting out against Samsung saying to hell with our users. We *do* have an obligation to review whatever comes our way and give it some coverage, as long as it is Android related. The forums are a different story, but we certainly just can't refuse to give Sammy any sort of coverage, it's bias and wouldn't be fair to users who don't truly care.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kerrigan View Post
    Although I agree with some of your sentiments, I would hardly call not acting out against Samsung saying to hell with our users. We *do* have an obligation to review whatever comes our way and give it some coverage, as long as it is Android related. The forums are a different story, but we certainly just can't refuse to give Sammy any sort of coverage, it's bias and wouldn't be fair to users who don't truly care.
    I see your point. It's a matter of perspective. AC is certainly welcome to ignore me and go about their business. It begs the question though what is AC?

Is it a news site that only publishes news?
    Is it a review site that only publishes reviews?
    Is it a fan site that is only about ra ra and cheerleading?

I am sure you can find some people who wont mind staying on eclair and/or don't mind being yanked around and misled. There are all types in the world. I for one tend to go kicking and screaming.

My question is this, if even 10% of the Captivate fan base has bought the device because AC said "If you're looking for an Android phone -- or any smartphone, for that matter -- on AT&T, the Samsung Captivate is a no-brainer." And that same group is now disgruntled do you feel no moral obligation to those poor saps who are now locked into that 2 year contract after reading such glowing words? I know I would.

I didn't buy based on any one review, rather a desire to have an android device, being stuck on AT&T at the time, and being willing to compromise. Granted at the time I ordered (July 19th) there was little or no talk about the broken GPS. In the 6 months that have followed though I am certain many people have bought phones based on reviews like AC's. But hey if page impressions is all that counts I guess it doesn't matter if the page counts come from posting every bit of news available and a lot of rants or upset customers looking for answers to problems. If AC doesn't feel they should be an advocate for their readers then so be it.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

Stop reviewing phones? because of faults or because they have done something we don't like. thats non sense. There was a time when HTC wasn't making the best product, they have not been perfection since they walked on the scene, even now they cant get their widgets to tell you where you are. So should they have stopped reviewing HTC.

Moto phones can barely handle exchange, you can barely look at your photo's on their phone without it freezing up , the only fix for it is to factory reset your phone. should we stop reviewing their phones.

And for the lack of updates that samsung put out they still made a solid piece of equipment my phone with all its flaws it still runs better than my DX , my dads D2 and my sisters friends Evo.

You want to argue with me that it doesn't work aswell, go head, doesnt change the fact that it does.

Android central is not a consumer advocacy group, Look at their about page

"Welcome to Android Central! Here you will find the latest News, Reviews, and more about Google's Android Smartphones, plus forums to discuss all your Android questions."

News and reviews. Good or bad thats their job.

I agree Samsung has done a poor job. and you know what ,you proably should sell your phone and get something else. Let me know if you are selling yours ill be happy to take it off your hands for the right price.
    Paul627g likes this.

Global Posts
    4,145 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Look, here's the bottom line. I don't think there is one person out there that can doubt that both Samsung and Verizon have been negligible at BEST with this whole situation. I admit that, and even some of Samsung's biggest defenders will most likely admit that.

However, at the same time, it is not any Android sites job to call them out on it to an extent to sway opinion one way or another. As far as the review for any of the Galaxy S phones go, no one could in a million years have predicted that 6+ months later, we'd still be talking about the Froyo update. *No* site saw this coming, and I don't think any one person did either.

As a site, as a writer, and as a consumer, I take companies up on their promises. I give them the benefit of the doubt. When we were told we'd be getting Froyo in a timely manner, I believed it, as did 99.9% of other people and other sites. We're not going to go back now and change our review or our material.

Personally, I still love my Fascinate. Am I frustrated? Absolutely. Am I annoyed? Hell yes! But it's still the best phone I've ever owned, Froyo or no Froyo. I understand people are pissed off and aggravated by it, and that's fine, they have every right to do so. But as a respected site covering all things Android, we have an obligation to call things down the middle.
    Paul627g likes this.

I completely agree with Chris Kerrigan and DroidXcon. Sure we are very aggravated as consumers that have purchased these products with a promise by the carrier and Samsung that we would get Froyo. I'm sure at some point soon it will happen. Still on top of everything I couldn't be happier with my phone. Sure I'm rooted and running custom roms, that's my choice but at the same time when I wasn't rooted I was running around everywhere showing off how cool of a phone it was. The graphics are sweet, screen is awesome and the bottom line its an Android based phone. It can be changed in by simply downloading apps from the Market or by rooting and customizing things to your own likings.

Probably my biggest complaint is standing on the fence for those who are waiting patiently for their phones to be upgraded from Eclair to Froyo because that is what they were promised and don't wish to root their phones. Second in line is a solid GPS fix for these phones instead of having to go threw obstacles to do GPS fixes to use something that should of worked from day one.

As far as Android based sites stopping coverage or reviews of Samsung products, that isn't going to solve anything and it will also take away from those who value our opinions and the general public for comparison shopping and a source of information/help on the products available. Without places like Android Central and others where would you go to ask your questions or research a new product line so you don't buy something that doesn't suit your needs? Right or wrong, good or bad its up to everyone involved not just here at Android Central but everyone to help the next person in line who is looking to buy a phone or needs help and point them in the right direction.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Thanks guys, appreciate your candor. I was just hoping against hope that there would be a site willing to stand with us rather than on the sidelines reporting the action.