Official feedback thread for new forum design (beta version)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Lundblad

Director of Design
Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Official feedback thread for new forum design!

Okay, so I was playing around with a couple CSS colour and spacing modifications. Since style is all relative, feel free to take or leave my suggestions.

Very nice! some of these ideas will for sure make it in

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

maybe I overlooked it but maybe a legend that says what these icons mean the pencil and the question mark don't know if there are more:
View attachment 250348
even mousing over with some text would be helpful imo

I think the pencil means that you responded to that thread.

I am guessing the ? means it is a question thread looking for an answer.

BB-JAM215

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site

I'm having trouble noticing where the quoted posts end and the replies begin with just a couple blank lines to separate them. And, unlike the old version, the formatting all looks the same now.

Kot Prada

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site

Still, the page (CrackBerry) and forum are insanely laggy! What's the point in changing design, if it simply doesn't work properly?!

iOS Gravity

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site

How do I switch back? I like the icons, but that menu bar with the unanswered threads, trending, and popular topics was pretty useful. Feels empty.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

The dark theme has sold me.
Now my eye's don't bother me when surfing.

I'll be glad when this is all complete.

BB-JAM215

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site

Here's another example of the poor distinction between quote and comment:

Attachments

• New Forum Quote & Comment.jpg
    New Forum Quote & Comment.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 3

D3RDEYE

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site

Just checked out the Passport Forum with the new design. Appears cleaner and more transparent. However, something still needs to b done with the first upper section of the page that shows the MENU, TRENDING, THREAD, TODAY'S POSTS. It feels like a disconnected section of the Forum. Perhaps, moving that section to the side or, just rearranging them will feel better to the eyes and navigation intuitiveness?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

I'm getting used to it.

2 things missing that I liked from before -
  1. Hover the mouse pointer over the thread title to get a preview of the first couple lines of the original post.
  2. Information about who posted the thread and when it was started, in the thread view of a forum.

David Lundblad

Director of Design
Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

2 things missing that I liked from before -
Hover the mouse pointer over the thread title to get a preview of the first couple lines of the original post.
Information about who posted the thread and when it was started, in the thread view of a forum.

Cool, I had missed those features - will get them added to the list!

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Catching up on this thread. Wow. THANK YOU everyone for the continued feedback. Keep it coming!

Eric Walles

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site

Hi, the new design looks fine,*and clean, and i belive that the empty space in the right side is for*ad´s but maybe it can be slimer*to get a better experience on Tablet mode or*similar, and maybe it would be usefull a "don´t like" button so the admins can identify more efficiently the trolls or some kind of abuse

Munale

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

i like the overall look and feel. scrolling seems to be a lot better in Sarafi in macOS. that being said when i try to go to a question that has a lot of replies, it gets hung up sometimes.

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site

Sorry, but if this "modern", dumbed-down design which displays two messages at a time on a 24" screen will become the new norm, I think I'll stop visiting these forums altogether. It's a disaster, as is "modern", "responsive" etc. design in general. I can't figure out how is displaying less information and requiring a user to scroll five times more beneficial in any way.

I can kind of agree with you, except to stop viewing the forums part. If it were not so fluid in the page parsing/scrolling then it could be painful. If some how the forums team could offer some theme pickers that allow different viewing formats/layouts, I bet you could go further with it. I can appreciate the 18pt font (I'm exaggerating), but for me it is unnecessary.

I am really still blown away on how much more solid and speedy it is on Chrome.

May 17, 2016
Visit site

I like the look of it. The blue background is nice :)

now onto things that could be improved:
when viewing a forum (eg: BlackBerry Classic)
maybe add the word "posts" or "replies" in small font under the large, bold numbers in the left column. ...I know it won't look as clean, but it may help with getting familiar to the new site.
add mouse hover-over options to the orange icons. what does the white pencil within the orange circle mean? what does the white question mark within the orange circle mean? (these icons are located on the post count indicator in the left column.
add: show who created each thread.

when viewing a specific thread:
add hover-over options to two symbols at the top right of a post. the exclamation mark within a triangle should pop up and say "report", and the chain icon should say "copy link to clipboard" when hovering the mouse over this icon.
add something within a thread that will indicate which posts are unread VS posts that I've already read.

Thanks for the fresh look on the forums!

mnhockeycoach99

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site

I pulled the test site up on my Passport browser and it seems to work great. Sorry I don't have more constructive feedback... do I still get a CrackBerry shirt? ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.