Official feedback thread for new forum design (beta version)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyCori

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
Re: Official feedback thread for new forum design!

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the text and the font is bloody hard to see.

Capture.JPG

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm seeing two edit post pencils, one next to the username, and the other next to what appears to be a report triangle. The right pencil works and I was able to edit one of my posts, while the left pencil does not respond. Seeing this on Windows 10 and current Chrome build.

While using a Windows 10 touchscreen system I'm worried I might accidentally report myself while intending to edit.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site

The "tools" button and popup menu needs more locations on the message list pages.
Currently it is located only at the very top.
It would be nice if there was a duplicate button at the bottom of the page.
If the forum has subforums and threads, like this site feedback forum, having another button between the subforum list and the thread list would be nice, too.
Basically I hate having to scroll long distances to find the "tools" to "mark forum as read".
I can see where this repeated button could be a space problem on the mobile devices. Having the repeated buttons only on the full site would be fine by me.

Larry Cook1

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

I like it. Think it is smoother looking and I like the idea of number of answers up front.

May 17, 2016
Visit site

I've been playing around with this new style a bit more. I like a lot of the changes, but there is one issue that I need to bring up, because it's REALLY bothering me.
When I view the forums from my phone, it loads the page in mobile view. I'd like to view the page through the desktop version.

Is there a way to force the webpage to load/display the desktop version? And once its set to the desktop version, will it always load that version until told otherwise?

PS: I really like the dark theme! (I know you've heard that before :p )

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

It still doesn't give me WYSIWYG typing tags wrap around things that I bold instead of just actually bolding it. Is there a way for it to work?

BluWarrior

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site

Looks fresh and modern! Some suggestions I have are:
A) Alphabetize the items in each category, because, especially on the larger sections, it gets very hard to find a specific forum.
B) When I'm viewing a forum, if I mouse over the quote button it says quote, but the like and link button do not say anything. I believe its important to have this, especially for newer users who aren't as experienced while using the forum, and they may not know what the symbols mean
C) My last suggestion is make it easier to tell when a forum is closed. Although the permissions box is nice, I do like seeing something that tells me that a forum is closed rather than needing to find the permission box to see why I can't post.

But the new design is great, And is a huge improvement over the old one! Thanks Mobile Nations!

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

My first thought was a I miss the featured forums being near the top but i can live with them being where they are.
Text is clean, very easy to read and seams less cluttered. Speed to load is good, so far non of the annoying page crashes.

My one complaint is the difference between when a thread is read or has new posts, at first glance, it doesn't stand out has much as I would like to my eyes.

Device iPad pro9.7 using safari.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

Hello Everyone (Again)

So I've been using this new theme for the better part of a week now after my initial post and thought i would do an updated one just to include a couple things that i didn't mention and hopefully it can be some useful stuff :D

I've noticed that some considerable work has already been done to improve things since i last posted which is really good to see! Tons of refinements and improvements. The first thing i noticed was pushing the profile pictures further to the left so they no longer get cropped by the thread. Additionally, the 'Mini' profile information has also been fixed and is looking good! Keep up the great work guys!

Now onto the things (in my opinion) that would be changed.

1. Message Colours - This is obviously a personal preference section and will be different for each person. When I'm using the dark theme. The quoted messages are the same colour as the background. Im not sure what colour would be better but it would be nice for the quoted message to be more 'Visible' and 'in your face'. Maybe give it a border colour?. When using 'light theme', i think its a little better but the light orange \ yellow colour is still a little difficult to differentiate the quoted message from the actual message.
  2. In-thread Profile Information - Image below for reference. I like how the information has been moved to the top of each thread post. Makes each message look a little more professional. However, the post count is quite difficult to see on ‘Light theme’ but in ‘Dark theme’ it's a little easier. So guess this links with ‘colours’ in my previous section :)

Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 11.48.14 AM.png
  3. Saving Messages - This is something i didn't know existed but thought i would at least mention it to say thank you since it has actually saved me from typing out this whole message again lol. Great feature to have. Especially since my internet often cuts and lose things.
    Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 12.09.13 PM.png
  4. Your Menu 'Sections' - I was comparing the dark theme menu to the 'Light theme' and i noticed that, there are no line separations for the headings in 'dark theme' but there are for light. I personally prefer having one seamless page where are no lines. (like it is on dark). Im only mentioning this by looking at it from a consistency point of view. :)

Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 12.23.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 12.23.25 PM.png

Once again, i don't want this to look like a 'moan' session. There are a ton of things i like!, but it would just be too long a list. So I'm mostly focusing on the things i thing could potentially change for the better. Really hope this helps in some way. Would love to see this site grow and get 10 million new members. :D

RK928

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Sorry, don't like it. More "flat design" trend that will be outdated in a couple of years. No lines between entries makes it hard to see and figure out where each thread is. Black titles turn gray when rolled over with the mouse? That's not enough contrast difference.

Seems like change for the sake of change, I don't see an improvement, it makes the forum topics less readable to me, there's just not enough pop between topics, it makes it hard for me to pick things out.

My advice? Forget flat design, it's the worst design trend ever and we'll be looking back on it like we now do when thinking about Big Hair and platform shoes of the '80's. I like the current forum design just fine, thank you.

But, it seems a done deal, so not sure why you're even asking for feedback.

anon(9169048)

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site

I like the new layout and the text seems much clearer but the improvements haven't solved my biggest beef about Mobile Nations' sites; posting text can be extremely slow and chunky and very often I have to give up posting (Just gave up leaving a post on 'Trump's New Phone' over at CB as missing letters and slow appearance of words made it intolerably slow to post anything, something similar is happening on this post but not as bad, I just have to stop typing for a while). This is the only site I have this issue on.

bradleyherron

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site

Right off the bat I like the white background over the black background. Looks mu cleaner and feels lighter.

David Lundblad

Director of Design
Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I like the new layout and the text seems much clearer but the improvements haven't solved my biggest beef about Mobile Nations' sites; posting text can be extremely slow and chunky

oh wow that sounds awful - can you give us more information about browser and OS so we can troubleshoot? The best would be a video screencap too. This is the first I have heard of this but will definitely try to resolve

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Hmm, not really a fan of the new design for the following reasons:

1. Pale blue background with white comment boxes over it is not very visually appealing. Ditto for the pale beige quote boxes.
2. The quote, reply, and like buttons are now small icons without words. Also where did the multi-quote button go?
3. Now have to click the green circle next to the heart icon to see who liked a post
4. Rounded avatar icon reduces usable space cutting off parts of your avatar
5. No more indicator whether someone is online/offline (currently to the right of username)
6. New "Your menu" bar combines what was two separate areas (user account info and trending now/unanswered threads/etc.) in the process losing Top forums, Member Shoutouts, and forum search/advanced search options. It also now requires an extra click (ex. on down arrow next to it) to get to Participated, Subscribed, My Threads, etc.

Hopefully there will be an option to stay/revert to the current design when the new one goes live as I think it has a cleaner more straightforward functional design.

Still not a fan of the new design, requires too much scrolling and clicking. It's bad enough on a desktop web browser but much worse on a mobile device. Screenshots below from my Note 4 (both of the Note 4 forum but you can't tell that in the new design without scrolling down):

Existing design which displays a lot of info:
Screenshot_2017-01-21-12-26-05.jpg

New design. Example of extra clicks, the post a new thread option is now buried under a "Tools" option just out of view above this screenshot. Not to mention had to click on the "Menu" to even expand it to display more info (in contrast it's displayed by default on existing design in a much more concise format as seen in the above screenshot).
Screenshot_2017-01-21-12-26-50.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Liao

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Liking the new theme so far - I had to enable the mona theme flag for the CrackBerry and Android Central forums separately, btw.

StoicEngineer

Jan 22, 2017
Visit site

I've spent a couple of minutes running through the new Forums on my Passport. The look is MUCH improved. It's clear and provides more information than before. Navigation is better: faster and simpler. The links were also faster, IMO. Very, very nicely done.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I'm trying to figure out how to make this the default Forum view, but haven't figured it out yet. Help!

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

Unable to reply to any threads under Firefox.
Cursor in the reply box just won't stay live when I try to refresh.

I'm replying here with chrome.
I tried cleaning browser cache and re-logging in neither helped.
Could be problems on my end.

Status
Not open for further replies.