Axe to grind... Duplicate threads

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
What's up with all the duplicate threads being posted a minute or two, or three, after the original thread has been posted by a user? Been seeing this for a very long time with apparently no one ever fixing the issue. Does the site not have filters to take care of this? Does it add to the site count? :eek:

So...

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Really? I would think dupe threads would show up no matter the application, whether desktop or phone/tablet as it seems it's an AC thing. Unless it's just a desktop problem??? I'm on a desktop.

You can't see these on Tapatalk in the Ask a question forum?

dupe ex.jpg

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes it gets caught up in a mod queue and us mods can handle it.. sometimes it doesn't. Sadly the filters aren't perfect. Our teams try and take care of it and with help from member reports we try and nab all we can.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes it also has to do with hiccups with the forum software, or with the web connection on the user's side. So the duplicate posts aren't necessarily from a user who is purposely creating a bunch of dupes.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes it also has to do with hiccups with the forum software, or with the web connection on the user's side. So the duplicate posts aren't necessarily from a user who is purposely creating a bunch of dupes.
Yes, I'm guessing it's a software problem and not necessarily users, and I know mods sometimes take care of it "manually". If it's hiccups, this software is sick! The problem is the dupes don't always fall directly above the original, but can be several lines above it, and I end up posting to it only to find the original already has replies. The problem is so prevalent that I now spend time scanning the forum list just looking to see if it's a dupe post before even replying. If I happen to reply to one of the posts, I try to tag the other one with "Dupe post" and a link to the post just as an alert, but it gets tiresome. Also, since I spend time in the Unanswered threads forum, if a post happens to have a dupe and one of the dupes was replied to, and moved/tagged to the appropriate forum, then the other dupe post is left in the Unanswered threads forum with 0 replies making it seem like it's a non-duplicate posting.

I know I'm preaching to the choir as I'm sure you're all aware of the problem. I'm just bringing it up so someone can look into it and finally fix it. I belong to a lot of forums (computers, photography, auto, etc) and have only seen this on AC (Mobile Nations). Us engineer types don't like to live with broken stuff! :eek:

Just bringing it up.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'm guessing it's a software problem and not necessarily users, and I know mods sometimes take care of it "manually". If it's hiccups, this software is sick! The problem is the dupes don't always fall directly above the original, but can be several lines above it, and I end up posting to it only to find the original already has replies. The problem is so prevalent that I now spend time scanning the forum list just looking to see if it's a dupe post before even replying. If I happen to reply to one of the posts, I try to tag the other one with "Dupe post" and a link to the post just as an alert, but it gets tiresome. Also, since I spend time in the Unanswered threads forum, if a post happens to have a dupe and one of the dupes was replied to, and moved/tagged to the appropriate forum, then the other dupe post is left in the Unanswered threads forum with 0 replies making it seem like it's a non-duplicate posting.

I know I'm preaching to the choir as I'm sure you're all aware of the problem. I'm just bringing it up so someone can look into it and finally fix it. I belong to a lot of forums (computers, photography, auto, etc) and have only seen this on AC (Mobile Nations). Us engineer types don't like to live with broken stuff! :eek:

Just bringing it up.

No worries on bringing it up :). This is what this section is for -- But I do promise we try and eliminate it as much as we can. I nuke dupes right when I see them usually (or merge if that is more relevant) since as you said it is pretty redundant to have 3 of the same topic. If you do see any though you can hit report and just put "dupe" or something as the reason. We will be sure to look into it.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
No worries on bringing it up :). This is what this section is for -- But I do promise we try and eliminate it as much as we can. I nuke dupes right when I see them usually (or merge if that is more relevant) since as you said it is pretty redundant to have 3 of the same topic. If you do see any though you can hit report and just put "dupe" or something as the reason. We will be sure to look into it.
While I appreciate that you guys work hard, I recognize that it's just a bandaid that doesn't alleviate the problem. This really needs a permanent fix on the software. I'll start reporting the dupe threads, but if it's not taken care of right away, then someone may end up replying to it in the meantime.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I always think they fall into two or more categories, as a 'duplicate' thread is often the Unknown OP expounding on his/her original thread, or pasting the same again - purely because they waited a few minutes and expected to see their thread posted.

One or two other other reasons for their actions can be found.

I posted about 3 AC Questions anonymously but not within the last 6 months.

I don't remember seeing anything after the OP has submitted a thread to tell what happens next, ie it will take time to be moderated.

I thank Almeuit for the further insight, us chickens in the coop don't know what goes on in higher circles, and I too usually alert to a duplicate or second expounded question by putting links to each on the other, and somone like Javier, Belodion or some dude called B. Diddy tidies them up or moves them to a more appropriate forum.

I would normally request which is the best way for responders to do this, but I have not volunteered for the AAQ team

Anyway, I always thought primarily new people get confused as to why it hasn't appeared straight away, wouldn't know what moderating is, and figure they must have missed something so try again. A few will feel the "Answers in Five Minutes" time is up (that bugbear).

Mobile Nations is a business and they will have considered the layout in terms of attracting traffic so haven't changed it.

A few new guidelines for regular responders above and a tidy up of information available for unlogged OP's wouldn't go amiss, but this is old ground and I don't care.
It seems a waste of Mode time though and as Nahoku said you are not always going to catch that there's a duplicate that may have been answered. (you do develop a sixth sense for them though)

Very good points -- Most probably don't know and that is the bane of the Ask A Question feature. If you have an account it tells you if something got thrown into Mod Queue whereas with AAQ it is hard to do since anyone can ask a question so it can't show that it has been tossed into the "approval" area you could say. Even some of the other mods posts even got into Mod Q depending on what is posted and caught. I can promise the Net Mods / Techs are always looking at tweaking the filter to try and work for all but it definitely is a constant battle :).

Honestly most dupes are mainly from that most likely -- or either just some lag on either end (AC or the user) and the forum creates a dupe. Happens to me from time to time.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for those.

One more point then : - while some new posters deliberately overdo the amount of dupe threads (kids? different culture? other?) ... I do cringe a little when some new regular responders (understandably) criticise the OP / new member for posting again when it's very often not their fault, or they didn't understand the waiting period.

The base line should be it was not deliberate on the part of the OP.

Exactly. It's all about PUPPAH! Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000