AdBlock Analysis - Too Far

BAlGaInTl

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Mobile Nations, and thereby AndroidCentral has taken it a bit too far this time.

I understand the need to make money on ads... at times, I disable my uBlock extension. As it's been discussed before, sometimes they are just too overwhelming.

Changes to the "Terms of Access" provided by Admiral, the service that is used for Adblock Analysis, now requires me to agree to terms in order to dismiss their dialog. I read the terms... it is no longer permitted for me to block ads on the AC main site. Being forced to agree to this does not sit well with me.

I guess I will respect the wishes of AC and Mobile Nations by NOT accessing their content since I don't agree to the terms in any blanket sense.

Thanks for saving me some time each day.

Attachments

• PSX_20170220_223451.jpg
    PSX_20170220_223451.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 21
  • PSX_20170220_223346.jpg
    PSX_20170220_223346.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've also sent in feedback regarding the terms of Admiral. I absolutely understand the business model but now that I'm unable to access the site without disabling my security on the desktop, it's frustrating. I do subscribe to the paid subscription on the app and can read content there, and I sincerely wish that setup would come to the desktop soon.

BAlGaInTl

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've also sent in feedback regarding the terms of Admiral. I absolutely understand the business model but now that I'm unable to access the site without disabling my security on the desktop, it's frustrating. I do subscribe to the paid subscription on the app and can read content there, and I sincerely wish that setup would come to the desktop soon.

Who did you send feedback to?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Let me also state that James isn't in charge of ads, but he does help us get feedback about misbehaving ads to the ad vendors and he does kick our feedback to the people that run the show ... They're not always going to do what I want, but they will make it clear they're listening.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Luckily, the forums don't have the same restriction at the moment... Wondering how long that will be.

If this happens on the forums, I will use whatever weight my Senior Ambassadorshipdom and 77K+ posts carries to get them to reverse it. I can't Ambassadorize efficiently if I'm constantly clicking on an ad that suddenly jumps out at me or shifts the columns without warning, or if the forum takes an extra 5 seconds to load up because of the bevy of ads that must be served up to me.

BAlGaInTl

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
My question is this...

Why is there even an option to "Agree" to the "Terms of Access" in order to bypass the notification when it's expressly forbidden to block ads in those terms?...

Ironic.

BAlGaInTl

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Just as an FYI, it seems admiral made an update 2/20 and that seems to influence what we're seeing.

Yes.

That's why I added the capture with the date.

At first, I thought it was just because I power washed my Chromebook. I realized something was up when I tried to dismiss it.

InTheRough

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Android Central has been over doing the ads for a couple years now, one of the first sites that I decided to get a blocker for. They also have been doing more reviews than helpful android articles. Their dependence on ad revenue is reflected in what they write on. I actually don't check the site very often any more. I would prefer to be able to check it still, but if the "no ad blocker allowed" policy continues, no big loss.