Switching stock rom and custom rom

abhisheklal008

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I have got a new skyrocket, with Android OS, v2.3.5 (Gingerbread). I dont wish to upgrade it to official ICS or Jelly Bean, since the reviews are not good. tTe phone lags a lot in UI as well as apps and free RAM is low as well.
My question is that can i directly install Jelly Bean custom rom (eg cyanogenmod 10) from stock GB (keeping in backup via CWM). And if i don't like it can i restore my stock GingerBread Rom from CWM. would it be as simple as that????
Thanx in advance........:)

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, provided you had installed a custom recovery (CWM as you mentioned, or TWRP), you can flash a custom ROM without rooting. I would also suggest saving your important files to your desktop, do a full wipe and move them back after it's been flashed and rebooted. .

MrGriffdude

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, provided you had installed a custom recovery (CWM as you mentioned, or TWRP), you can flash a custom ROM without rooting. I would also suggest saving your important files to your desktop, do a full wipe and move them back after it's been flashed and rebooted. .

Don't confuse him he will just wreck his phone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

MrGriffdude

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Wrong.

We have an unlocked bootloader. As long as you get a custom recovery, you can flash roms without rooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

What rom would you flash that's not a cwm zip? Don't cwm zips require twrp or clockwork mod, both of which require root?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
The misconception is that flashing a custom recovery would require you to be rooted, but it's not. What a custom recovery does is by replacing your stock recovery, it allows you then to flash or install just about anything...zip files, alternate custom recoveries, custom ROM, and flash a super user zip file. That last item is what WILL give you root access, as it gives you the ability to remove things such as bloatware.

So, as I mentioned earlier, you CAN install a custom ROM without rooting. My opinion though is that if you are ultimately going to flash a custom ROM, might as well root the phone while you're at it...but that's me.

If you decide to flash the full stock firmware, say, the stock JB that ATT just pushed out, and you were rooted previously, you lose that ability to root after it's done.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol