Snapchat camera doesn't work... any solutions?

cosicosei

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey there,
I have an s3 and I've had snapchat for about 2 months now... non rooted device.
A couple days ago snapchat started having problems along the lines of the camera screen not working. It is just black, and the capture button is unresponsive. The other two buttons work (the settings and the history). The video also doesn't work... there is just nothing happening. My stock camera works fine so my camera isn't broken.... but the app is having a hard time starting up and it freezes and terminates.I am still getting snaps and can see them, although sometimes I will be able to see them once, terminate the program and restart it hours later, and see them again.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling--no luck. I've tried deleting RAM an force stopping it, nothing works.
I will be contacting Snapchat about this as well possibly.

Any solutions??
Thanks in advance!

vakama94

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I too have the same problem. I have a Galaxy S II and whenever I try using the front facing camera, it looks way too dark and you can't see anything.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk 4 Beta

gillbie943

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Same problem. I can take a picture but the preview screen loads a black screen!! I'm currently running Cm10.1 on my Samsung gs4... The camera app works perfectly. Hope someone finds a solution :)

TierneyGTs5830

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Same problem since yesterday.. Really annoying.

I've a rooted galaxy ace with S2 custom ROM. Tried deleting App data and also Fixing permissions through Clockworkmod, nothing works

Tierney

HGUser99

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I tried reinstalling Snapchat like Emil Halvardson did and for me it didn't work. No matter what I do, Snapchat seems broken.

What's worse, pressing the camera button in Snapchat not only caused Snapchat to crash, it also locked up the camera so that I couldn't use the camera from any other app including the default Android Camera app. To recover the camera to a workable state, I had to reset the phone.

This was on a Samsung Captivate (I-897) running (Cyanogenmod) Android 4.2.2, and I got the same behavior after installing Android 4.3.

edit: I encourage everybody who has trouble to go to the Snapchat support page and log their errors. If they get enough error reports, they might investigate and fix it.

judecronshaw998

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
how do you get the button to put the camera on selfie mode up , samsung galaxy ace , any ideas?

how do you get the button to put the camera on selfie mode up , samsung galaxy ace , any ideas?

- - - Updated - - -

Jack Meyer1

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: how do you get the button to put the camera on selfie mode up , samsung galaxy ace , any ideas?

Uninstall the app. Restart phone. Install app. It should work.

Novadesigns98

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
The quickest way I have found is to just restart the phone, I know it's not very good when you are doing other things on your phone but it's the fastest way I've for found, I have a rooted S3 on cyanogen mod (not sure what version)

HGUser99

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I had the same trouble for a while then it... went away. This may depend on what version Android and what phone you are running.
(I'm on a Captivate with KitKat (Cyanogenmod M6 release). But before you start messing with different Android versions, I suggest rebooting your phone to recovery and wiping the Davlik cache and the cache partition (leave other partitions alone). Sometimes much cruft goes away when you do that.

Frxshh

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Hey folks,
Since i got my new Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini black edition, im having problems with the snapchat camera.
What happens is, every second time i record a video it freezes and makes my camera unusable on all apps using it.
So the problem is snapchat.
Does anyone have suggestions on fixing this?

danetee

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I have a problem with Snapchat, too.. It just decided to log me out and now everytime I try to start the app, it either freezes or restarts my phone.
I've tried restarting, reinstalling but none works. It kind of sucks..
ANyone has the same problem? I have a Samsung Galaxy S2.

HGUser99

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
This is a longstanding problem on Galaxy S and Galaxy S2 devices at least. Snapchat is the problem. On my phone (a Galaxy S Captivate) it also sucks down the battery at an alarming rate.

Please report the problem to Snapchat in as much detail as you can describe and remember to specify the model of phone affected. Maybe some day they will put some competent programmers on the problem.

rekakellermann

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I also have this problem (like Frxshh) and I always have to restart my phone (S4 mini too). And I tried reinstall it but it doesn't works. Any solutions?

HGUser99

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Not that you can solve without the source code to Snapchat.

What you can do is complain to Snapchat, describe your problem and the phone you have it on.

So far, all the affected phones referred to in this thread are Galaxy S, S2, S3 and S4. That's all Samsung phones, but I doubt much has held common from my phone (a Galaxy S Captivate) to your Galaxy S4.

Are you running stock firmware? I'm not. I'm on Cyanogenmod and therefore on a custom kernel. The problem held constant over several versions of Cyanogenmod. I suppose there's an off chance that Snapchat works OK on stock firmware.

logan_logan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
This same thing happens to me. I usually restart the app then turn off my phone, give it a few minutes, then turn it back on. It works for me. (I have a galaxy s4)

Phruitopia

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have a Galaxy Ace 2. My problem was that I would often get a black background with a message saying "Snapchat was unable to open the camera. You may need to restart your device," with two options; cancel and exit. I found an interesting work-around. If you go into the stock camera app and make sure the camera in there is facing the opposite way you want to use it in Snapchat, you can get the proper facing in Snapchat. To be more clear: Say I want to take a front-facing picture in Snapchat. I quickly open the stock camera and put it on back-facing camera. Then I start Snapchat and it will open on the front facing camera. If I want to change and take a back-facing picture in Snapchat, I must quickly go to the stock camera, face it forwards, and reopen Snapchat. It is kind of a hassle, and hopefully Snapchat will fix this, but this works for me for the moment, and hopefully it works for others as well.

Frxshh

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
So.. i am still having the same problems. Guess what. Today i had it again (snapchat crashes after 3 attemps to make a vid) so i restarted my phone and opened snapchat, and this time it crashes from the FIRST TIME. OMFG snapchat fix this, cause this is just bull****

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon