Can someone please school me on Snapdragons?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I finally broke down and ordered the Moto Style, since I like the customization options, universal carrier compatibility and the Moto hardware and software experience.

I haven't totally ruled out looking at the LG and Huawei Nexus devices, but, after having the Nexus 6, I am pretty confident I'll be sticking with Moto.

Question: Some people have been voicing concerns that the Huawei Nexus will ship with an 810 Snapdragon processor instead of the newer 820. Some people even said the 810 was junk.

I jknow you can't believe everything you read on the Internet, but my Nexus 6 has an 805 Snapdragon and the Moto Style has an 808. Does anyone know the reason for all the negativity with Huawei using the 810? Does it run hotter or overheat?

I know a higher number does not equal a better processor, but Moto has seemed to avoid criticism with their use of the 805 and 808.

Is it justified to give Moto a pass and criticize Huawei harshly?

Ianfire92

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
810 is a 8 core processor but its hotter than ever. In fact it has throttling problems, so when it heats up, everything runs slower. And it heats up very quickly. Btw the 808 is a 6 core processor and i never heard that has such problem, so you'll go fine with it.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was something like that. Honestly, unless someone plans to do a lot of heavy gaming or a ton of multi tasking, 6 cores should be enough. I'd rather have something that's steady and reliable than something that's fast and prone to overheat.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I finally broke down and ordered the Moto Style, since I like the customization options, universal carrier compatibility and the Moto hardware and software experience.

I haven't totally ruled out looking at the LG and Huawei Nexus devices, but, after having the Nexus 6, I am pretty confident I'll be sticking with Moto.

Question: Some people have been voicing concerns that the Huawei Nexus will ship with an 810 Snapdragon processor instead of the newer 820. Some people even said the 810 was junk.

I jknow you can't believe everything you read on the Internet, but my Nexus 6 has an 805 Snapdragon and the Moto Style has an 808. Does anyone know the reason for all the negativity with Huawei using the 810? Does it run hotter or overheat?

I know a higher number does not equal a better processor, but Moto has seemed to avoid criticism with their use of the 805 and 808.

Is it justified to give Moto a pass and criticize Huawei harshly?

the 810 went through a press nightmare with the M9 and the Gflex 2 both getting very hot around release and the soc having to be throttled back to keep it from getting so hot. it's a good soc on paper, 8 core with a pretty powerful GPU but LG dropped it for the g4 in favor of the 808 for a reason (thermal throttling).

the 808 is a 6 core SOC, but has a weaker GPU than the 805 (in the nexus 6) so it's kind of a tossup

however the 808 has newer dual core A57 and a quad core A53 (in a big.LITTLE configuration) which is 64 bit and should also be more powerful and power efficient compared to the quad core Krait chips in the 805.

all in all, the 808 should run perfectly fine, and i think it was a good choice for moto to use right now for reliability and cost reasons.

now if it was the 808 and the 820, then that's a whole different story, as the 820 looks to be a beast in both the cpu and gpu dept. along with more power efficient LTE radios and general battery usage.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
the 810 went through a press nightmare with the M9 and the Gflex 2 both getting very hot around release and the soc having to be throttled back to keep it from getting so hot. it's a good soc on paper, 8 core with a pretty powerful GPU but LG dropped it for the g4 in favor of the 808 for a reason (thermal throttling).

the 808 is a 6 core SOC, but has a weaker GPU than the 805 (in the nexus 6) so it's kind of a tossup

however the 808 has newer dual core A57 and a quad core A53 (in a big.LITTLE configuration) which is 64 bit and should also be more powerful and power efficient compared to the quad core Krait chips in the 805.

all in all, the 808 should run perfectly fine, and i think it was a good choice for moto to use right now for reliability and cost reasons.

now if it was the 808 and the 820, then that's a whole different story, as the 820 looks to be a beast in both the cpu and gpu dept. along with more power efficient LTE radios and general battery usage.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. All the more reason why I can maybe wait for the '16 Moto X or Nexus phone(s). Although, I'm not a gamer at all, and don't do anything graphic intensive. Basically just talk, text, YouTube and steam my music on Play. The 810 would probably be fine for me, but efficient battery with the 820 is a must.

Posted via the Android Central App

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed explanation. All the more reason why I can maybe wait for the '16 Moto X or Nexus phone(s). Although, I'm not a gamer at all, and don't do anything graphic intensive. Basically just talk, text, YouTube and steam my music on Play. The 810 would probably be fine for me, but efficient battery with the 820 is a must.

for that usage, even the 410 or 61x series would do perfectly fine. i'm using the 2015 Moto G with a 410 and it does all the normal stuff (even some light gaming) so well it's shocking.

part of it has to do with moto giving us unmolested android. but something like the moto g or the moto play (if you're not in the US) would work just as well for you most likely, and keep some cash in your pocket.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I would assume that the 808 would perform even better on the X as compared to the G4 without all the fluff that LG adds. It seems to me, that most likely, it would perform a little better in everyday tasks compared to the 805 that's in the Nexus 6, and maybe slightly worse in graphically intensive games. I don't do much gaming, if any at all, so I have no qualms using the 808. It'll definitely get the job done for the vast majority of users. Plus, the 820 isn't out yet, and even if it was, this wouldn't be a $399 phone unlocked.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
for that usage, even the 410 or 61x series would do perfectly fine. i'm using the 2015 Moto G with a 410 and it does all the normal stuff (even some light gaming) so well it's shocking.

part of it has to do with moto giving us unmolested android. but something like the moto g or the moto play (if you're not in the US) would work just as well for you most likely, and keep some cash in your pocket.

Thanks for the breakdown. :) Yeah, I'm in the U.S., but both the XPE and Play interest me; the Play because of the battery. I'd have to import it. I love Moto's take on Android. Bottom line for me is the battery optimization. I have a 4,200 mAh extended battery in my S3, so I'd love to go a day and a half between charges with my next phone.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I would assume that the 808 would perform even better on the X as compared to the G4 without all the fluff that LG adds. It seems to me, that most likely, it would perform a little better in everyday tasks compared to the 805 that's in the Nexus 6, and maybe slightly worse in graphically intensive games. I don't do much gaming, if any at all, so I have no qualms using the 808. It'll definitely get the job done for the vast majority of users. Plus, the 820 isn't out yet, and even if it was, this wouldn't be a $399 phone unlocked.

i agree, the 808 should perform just fine with moto's light touch with android and with the 808using newer a57 cores vs the older krait cores in the 805. the gpu is weaker, but with the level of gaming right now it should be perfectly fine.

the 820 bit was if the 820 was in the new nexus 6, that would make the choice between a cheaper (moto x) that will be totally fine and great for the price vs a pricier nexus 6, that has the beast of the 820 in it.

i'll take the moto with the 808 and moto's enhancements over the weird looking nexus 6.

but in all honestly i'll probably pick up one of the nexus's that launch next month because, well, i have a problem.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
i agree, the 808 should perform just fine with moto's light touch with android and with the 808using newer a57 cores vs the older krait cores in the 805. the gpu is weaker, but with the level of gaming right now it should be perfectly fine.

the 820 bit was if the 820 was in the new nexus 6, that would make the choice between a cheaper (moto x) that will be totally fine and great for the price vs a pricier nexus 6, that has the beast of the 820 in it.

i'll take the moto with the 808 and moto's enhancements over the weird looking nexus 6.

but in all honestly i'll probably pick up one of the nexus's that launch next month because, well, i have a problem.

I know people want to have the most powerful thing they possibly can (it's kind of in our nature), but I can't see how the 808 with Moto's touch doesn't completely fit the bill for the majority of users. You probably wouldn't notice a difference unless you were directly comparing it to a faster processor.

Haha. I hear ya man. I've already pre-ordered my Moto X and have intentions on keeping it, but I know I'll be looking at the new Nexii when they hit. Heck, I'll even be looking at the 6S+ when it comes out, just because I like to keep my options open.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I know people want to have the most powerful thing they possibly can (it's kind of in our nature), but I can't see how the 808 with Moto's touch doesn't completely fit the bill for the majority of users. You probably wouldn't notice a difference unless you were directly comparing it to a faster processor.

Haha. I hear ya man. I've already pre-ordered my Moto X and have intentions on keeping it, but I know I'll be looking at the new Nexii when they hit. Heck, I'll even be looking at the 6S+ when it comes out, just because I like to keep my options open.

haha we're in the same boat for sure. i'm looking to replace my 6+ but so far what's rumored for the 6s/+ doesn't seem like much of a reason to upgrade, especially at launch. i might get a new windows phone flagship and maybe a nexus to round out my phone purchases this year. all that should tide me over until the 820 handsets are out

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
haha we're in the same boat for sure. i'm looking to replace my 6+ but so far what's rumored for the 6s/+ doesn't seem like much of a reason to upgrade, especially at launch. i might get a new windows phone flagship and maybe a nexus to round out my phone purchases this year. all that should tide me over until the 820 handsets are out

I try to keep it to one phone. I'm constantly waivering between Android and iOS and usually fall back on Android. I like iOS for about 2 weeks, then I get fed up with the lack of anything "smart" on the phone. It's very stable, though. Which is why I can't completely shake it. But Google and Android is where my heart is, so I usually end up back here. I'm thinking I'll either stick with this X or go with a Nexus for the near future. My only worry with the X is the low light pics, but I don't take TOO many of them. And my wife has an S6, so we should be covered there, anyway. :)

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i think for anything outside of cropping and printing in large formats it will be fine. heck i have a lumia 635 that i took to a concert and it got me some pretty amazing shots. so i'm not too worried about the new X, it seems to be the one camera that moto can be proud of

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair