Unlocking a Phone

chdtpn

Apr 7, 2010
www.chaad.net
Well I have Verizon and I just want the regular Nexus One? lol, sorry I didnt kno there was more than one version. Where can I get one that comes unlocked and will it work on verizon?

Porbably shouldnt say this here but I would rather have an iPhone on verizon lol but I dont kno if that is possible either.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Well I have Verizon and I just want the regular Nexus One? lol, sorry I didnt kno there was more than one version. Where can I get one that comes unlocked and will it work on verizon?

Porbably shouldnt say this here but I would rather have an iPhone on verizon lol but I dont kno if that is possible either.

First of all, Verizon is a CDMA carrier, and there is no CDMA Nexus One out yet that would even have the right radio to potentially work on Verizon. Second of all, even if there was a CDMA N1 out, Verizon would not allow a phone on their network that is not Verizon branded. They have complete control over which ESNs get on their network. So sorry to say, your plan could not be more doomed. Lucky for you though, Spring is not too far away.

chdtpn

Apr 7, 2010
www.chaad.net
Alright well that pretty much sums it up lol

Next Question: Do verizon phones have sim cards inside that can be removed and placed in an att phone?

Sorry im new at this stuff lol

AZbear

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Sorry but Verizon uses CDMA and AT&T uses GSM. the 2 are not conpatible so an AT&T phone will not work on Verizon. In addition CDMA does not use sim cards.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Oh really? Hmm.. I could have swore I saw a type of verizon sim card somewhere..

There are Verizon SIM cards, but only in their "world phones," which are dual CDMA and GSM, and the Verizon SIM card will only do you any good if you're overseas. In the US VZW is GSM non-SIM card only.

Saepak

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Just so you know Nexus One is on the TM network. As for Sprint, it will be getting the HTC EVO around the 6th of June. It is one sweet spec'ed phone. Check it out.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
You can get an iPhone to work on T-Mo for calling and data (but I don't think you get 3G data?). You cannot get an iPhone to work on Sprint or VZW.

Basically, if the company (as there are other GSM networks in the US other than ATT and T-Mo) has a SIM card, it will work with the iphone after unlocking it using a program on your computer like red snow (or whatever color that have now, been out of the game for a while) that will automatically unlock an iphone for you.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
There were talks of a CDMA iphone. Don't think its going to happen (definitely not this year).

Solution: verizon mifi + ipod touch 2G+
$60 a month unlimited calling. You're limited to about 4 hours of battery life on the mifi, though without a USB port. It also doesn't stay charged either when in use and plugged in. You will have to have periods of downtime.
Also, the mic is on the headphones, so you have to always use it.

Last edited:

dgolom

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Second of all, even if there was a CDMA N1 out, Verizon would not allow a phone on their network that is not Verizon branded. They have complete control over which ESNs get on their network. So sorry to say, your plan could not be more doomed.

Let's say, hypothetically, that Verizon were to allow an unlocked EVO on their network. Would it be possible? It looks like the CDMA frequencies for VZW and Sprint are the same (850/1900MHz).

I don't see why VZW would care what phone you were using. You are still paying your monthly bill and they don't have to subsidize the cost of the phone. Especially if you agree to a contract and are providing your own phone. Obviously, you wouldn't get any tech support if you had a problem with the phone but that is the risk you are willing to take when you run an unlocked phone.