Tablet Data Plan on Galaxy S2

TheRealZero

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
So here's the question I've been toying with in my mind:

If I could purchase a monthly data plan for an Android tablet, get a sim card and put it in my smartphone would I be able to have data without voice on my phone?
I imagine there are barriers for this, such as the cell tower being able to distinguish an incompatible device and blocking data, so let's assume that this is true.
Would they use the device ID?
Would it be some other hard-coded unchangeable identification?

AFAIK changing your ID is possible so am I on the right track here? With the release of Dell Voice in Canada I would love to be able to pay 35 bucks a month for my data and tell my voice plan to **** off.

Thanks guys.

gxgs

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
So here's the question I've been toying with in my mind:

If I could purchase a monthly data plan for an Android tablet, get a sim card and put it in my smartphone would I be able to have data without voice on my phone?
I imagine there are barriers for this, such as the cell tower being able to distinguish an incompatible device and blocking data, so let's assume that this is true.
Would they use the device ID?
Would it be some other hard-coded unchangeable identification?

AFAIK changing your ID is possible so am I on the right track here? With the release of Dell Voice in Canada I would love to be able to pay 35 bucks a month for my data and tell my voice plan to **** off.

Thanks guys.
What do you mean by device ID? The IMEI? You can't legally change the IMEI.

For instance, AT&T detects phones by their IMEI and matches it with their system. There are android phones, like for example my galaxy s2, that is detected as a blackberry curve 8300 on their systems and not as an "unknown" device. Thus, if i were to get a tablet data plan, the system would see my sgs2 as a bb curve and possibly either block the data only plan or add a voice plan automatically (dont know if it works like that for voice). Its all in the IMEI, you could try, it would work, but depending on how the system sees the device you may get to keep or not the data plan. You could always lie and swear to the reps over the phone that its a tablet, it has worked for some and for others the system itself always changes the plan, because its automated, requiring several calls to have it switched back.

It usually works better on international devices, since carriers usually dont have these IMEIs on the system.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad