Samsung proclaim root issues

cybor462

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Well I maybe should have left well enough alone. I have a Droid 2 and rooted it a year ago and that fixed a boatload of issues I had with it. Got tired of Verizons car payment monthly bill for a phone so I went with the Samsung proclaim no contract ST plan. I just got the phone and I really like it. I thought rooting it would be a good thing so I found you guys here, looked like I could do it and followed the directions and had all kinds of issues. I was able to use Odin and I think it is rooted but when I installed Superuser it first said there was no binary and after a day of searching I found a post saying I would have to move the SU file to the XBIN folder because it got installed in root. When I moved the file I now get the ok with the binary I think. It shows red -rw and -rw and green directory where the su is now. But I cant get Superuser to do anything. It does not show apps or anything.
Next I tried to install busyboxinstaller and it says install failed try another version. I tried several but all fail. I tried and flashed it again and it gives me the same issues. I also have the cd drive thingy like many others.
The phone seems to work otherwise but I cant say i tried anything other than calls and email.
I did set phone to debug mode. Not sure what i did wrong. Basically I do not know if it is rooted really. I did get Android Commander to bybass the cd drive card issue and that says root ok.
At this point I am lost, tired, confused.
Can anyone help an idiot that should have left well enough alone?

Thanks

UPDATE I guess I was wrong again. I just tried wifi and although it finally connected it will not stop scanning for networks after it is connected. I cant imagine it would do that all the time but it is. Another thing I found that Titainium Backup installs but will not run. It says the phone has to be rooted for it to run. It looks like I have some major issues I need to fix. Hopefully someone here can offer a suggestion or two.

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Well I maybe should have left well enough alone. I have a Droid 2 and rooted it a year ago and that fixed a boatload of issues I had with it. Got tired of Verizons car payment monthly bill for a phone so I went with the Samsung proclaim no contract ST plan. I just got the phone and I really like it. I thought rooting it would be a good thing so I found you guys here, looked like I could do it and followed the directions and had all kinds of issues. I was able to use Odin and I think it is rooted but when I installed Superuser it first said there was no binary and after a day of searching I found a post saying I would have to move the SU file to the XBIN folder because it got installed in root. When I moved the file I now get the ok with the binary I think. It shows red -rw and -rw and green directory where the su is now. But I cant get Superuser to do anything. It does not show apps or anything.
Next I tried to install busyboxinstaller and it says install failed try another version. I tried several but all fail. I tried and flashed it again and it gives me the same issues. I also have the cd drive thingy like many others.
The phone seems to work otherwise but I cant say i tried anything other than calls and email.
I did set phone to debug mode. Not sure what i did wrong. Basically I do not know if it is rooted really. I did get Android Commander to bybass the cd drive card issue and that says root ok.
At this point I am lost, tired, confused.
Can anyone help an idiot that should have left well enough alone?

Thanks

UPDATE I guess I was wrong again. I just tried wifi and although it finally connected it will not stop scanning for networks after it is connected. I cant imagine it would do that all the time but it is. Another thing I found that Titainium Backup installs but will not run. It says the phone has to be rooted for it to run. It looks like I have some major issues I need to fix. Hopefully someone here can offer a suggestion or two.

Easiest things to check first...

#1 UNINSTALL SUPERUSER - go on the android market and get SuperSU instead.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...le.com/store/search?q=Super+SU&token=Q9uJiPaL

#2 ROOT CHECK BASIC - android market again. Install and run. If it asks for supersu permissions and says you're rooted then you're good.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tore/search?q=root+check+basic&token=Kc0UT-TG

cybor462

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help
I did try the supersu and it did not work.
I asked for help on another forum and by luck a user had the exact same trouble I did. He told me to reflash with shabby penguins kernel. I tried it and the root worked.
I have not tested every aspect yet but so far all seems to work.
I will continue to test and report back.
thanks again I am again a happy root

woodd00889

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I need help with my Proclaim as well. I tried to root my proclaim, but, I forgot to check the USB Debugging mode. Now, besides being able to get into Download mode, the only thing it does is show a blank screen. Is there any way at all to fix this? Please help. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

seth959ci

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
i am also having an samsung proclaim issue with little success of getting advice from other users. after using the acssyndicate method for rooting, i decided to do a factory settings reset. Now superuser will not update. BusyBox is granted super user access but says "su binary was not found" .If i go into terminal emulator and type in "su" i do get a #. i did check to make sure the su file was in xbin. i used root explorer to check that BTW. Becoming very frustrated so ANY help is greatly Appreciated.

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
i am also having an samsung proclaim issue with little success of getting advice from other users. after using the acssyndicate method for rooting, i decided to do a factory settings reset. Now superuser will not update. BusyBox is granted super user access but says "su binary was not found" .If i go into terminal emulator and type in "su" i do get a #. i did check to make sure the su file was in xbin. i used root explorer to check that BTW. Becoming very frustrated so ANY help is greatly Appreciated.

Try downloading the superuser update fixer from the play store (sorry no link, I'm on my phone). Just search for superuser and it should be the second app in the list. If that doesn't work try removing superuser and installing supersu from the play store. Hope that helps.

Sent from my Samsung Proclaim using the AC forums app.

seth959ci

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Well the update fixer didn't work have any other ideas? Root checker says i dont have proper root access but i still get a # in the terminal. Thanks for the input and still open for more lol

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Android Central Forums

seth959ci

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Update: busybox still cannot find su binary but setCPU gives me cpu control.. Strange right?

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Well the update fixer didn't work have any other ideas? Root checker says i dont have proper root access but i still get a # in the terminal. Thanks for the input and still open for more lol

I noted that you used the Android syndicate method for rooting, try doing the shabbypenguin method for root. This can be done on top of the root method you already tried, without consequence as it is just replacing the kernel. You should be able to find the rooting method on google. It is a two step process of using ODIN and loading the rooted kernel then loading the stock kernel. Very easy. Its the method I used to root. Sorry for no links but I'm on my phone. Let me know how it goes.

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
i thought they were the same becuase shabby penguin helped with it. Here's what i used:
http://www.acsyndicate.net/shabbypenguin-playfulgod-bring-root-rootless/

is this what you are referring to? If not, can u provide a link to what i need to do? if the above link is correct Can i just simply redo the process?

My apologies, I got mixed up with the Area 51 (AK51) root method found here. You should be able to attempt to re-root the device by completing the process again, but I've never tried it so I can't say with certainty that it will fix the problem. So I'm not responsible if the device bricks (standard waiver of liability). I'd say give it a try. Let me know how it goes.

seth959ci

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
re-did the rooting process and tried a different busy box installer and got this error:

Error: reloc_library[1312]: 1902 cannot locate 'android_reboot'...CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE
any thoughts? thanks for the idea btw. Also this busybox installer outright says the device is rooted

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
re-did the rooting process and tried a different busy box installer and got this error:

Error: reloc_library[1312]: 1902 cannot locate 'android_reboot'...CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE
any thoughts? thanks for the idea btw. Also this busybox installer outright says the device is rooted

XDA users had the same problem and found a fix here. The fix isn't for our phone so you may have to tweak it a bit. You could also try using the automated root that I linked to earlier, see if that helps any. Solution is at post #315.

seth959ci

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
what worked for you? and does it matter where i unzip the BootAnimationFix and do i just double click the bootfix.bat when the phone is connected? should this screw up i should be able to flash the kernel with the files im using now to fix it right?

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
what worked for you? and does it matter where i unzip the BootAnimationFix and do i just double click the bootfix.bat when the phone is connected? should this screw up i should be able to flash the kernel with the files im using now to fix it right?

The AC syndicate version is the one that worked for me. I didn't attempt the other method. But in reading through the forum there it seems you can root with that method and then do the shabbypenguin method over it without consequence. As far as the bootanimation.zip thing, I'm not sure about it but you should be able to unzip it anywhere and just run the bat file. But follow the instructions given on those forums and you should be just fine.

seth959ci

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
is it imperative to put superuser and busybox on the root of the sd card? can i not just have them installed on the phone or download them after the root process? it has a write protection and i cannot move files to the card

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay