EVO Rooting Question

discdoc

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm fairly tech savvy, so I can follow instructions fairly well. One question I have is... is there any downside to rooting your phone? I had a Palm Pre and I'm very familiar with the homebrew community an all of the patches that are available. With the Pre, there wasn't much downside. With the EVO, will I still be able to get OTA updates and other services? Is there anything you CAN'T do once you root your EVO? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

t0ast3d

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm fairly tech savvy, so I can follow instructions fairly well. One question I have is... is there any downside to rooting your phone? I had a Palm Pre and I'm very familiar with the homebrew community an all of the patches that are available. With the Pre, there wasn't much downside. With the EVO, will I still be able to get OTA updates and other services? Is there anything you CAN'T do once you root your EVO? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The only "downside" if you want to call it that is it will void your warranty, but you can unroot to stock and be fine if you ever have to take it in. Yes, you can still get OTA updates. I would say no, rooting just opens the door of endless possibilities :p

marclile

May 26, 2010
Visit site
i don't know that i would accept OTA updates after you root though. i did that after this last OTA for my EVO and I lost root. it took about a week for someone to figure out how to hack the new version. i learned my lesson now though, no more accepting OTA updates :)