How to unrestrict the android market and phone on AT&T

konradp

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to figure out some specificities about the android operating system and the new upcoming phones offered from AT&T. In the past months and yet still to come AT&T is bringing 5 new android phones to the market. I am in the market of upgrading my phone because it is slowly starting to die and it is very old. I was looking at switching carriers and going with Sprint so I could get the ?droid x? or the ?htc evo? but because this is NOT possible I have to stay with my current carrier AT&T. So because this is the case I am trying to figure out a solution to getting the Full Android experience that the droid x and the htc evo offer but on another phone, on the AT&T. I am going to probably get the new Samsung Captivate which offers the android 2.1 operating system. However this is not the full android experience on this phone because this phone including all the other new android phones coming out for AT&T are ?LOCKED DOWN? meaning I cannot download any apps that are not on the android market place or apps that are in beta or alpha stage also I cannot download onto the phone any apps that are 3rd party apps.

I am looking for any way to fix the ?Samsung Captivate? phone when I get it so that I can unlock all the features that any other normal android phone usually has available on it (normal android phone meaning like the normal features offered on Sprint?s ?droid x? and so on). I want to be able to unlock the android market on the phone so that I am able to download( apps that are not on the android market like: , apps that are 3rd party apps and apps that are in Beta or Alpha stage).
Is there any way to currently do this?

I have looked into something called ?rooting the phone?, will this do the trick?

If anyone knows anything about this or can help me figure this out please comment,
Thank you
-Kore

tpbklake

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
On the HTC Aria, if I place the phone in Airplane mode and connect to the Android Market app using WiFi, I can see more applications than I can when I connect via the AT&T MediaNet (such as tethering apps).

You might try that on the Captivate, too.

Regards,

Tom

Reactions: lhinsz

chuck3000

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
This worked GREAT on my ATT Aria. I was able to download and install PdaNet for Android over WiFi since it wasn't blocked. Then install the software on my Mac - worked like a charm!
Details on PdaNet at junefabrics.com/android/download.php

Now, does anybody know how to turn my aria into a WiFi Hot Spot like MiWi does for iPhone?

lhinsz

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
On the HTC Aria, if I place the phone in Airplane mode and connect to the Android Market app using WiFi, I can see more applications than I can when I connect via the AT&T MediaNet (such as tethering apps).

You might try that on the Captivate, too.

Regards,

Tom
Awesome news - I'm going to try the Airplane mode on my Aria right now!!! Thank you!!