GT-N7105T - Telstra (Australia) Note 2, stalled during CF-Auto-Root

Montigusto

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

Looks like I got myself into a bit of a pickle... I've been posting threads on a local Aussie forum as well as XDA and now here, hoping to get out of this with the least damage possible. I am having visions of a bricked Note 2, but anyway...

I'm trying to find some people who've managed to root the Australian version of the Note 2 successfully? I have the Telstra Galaxy Note 2 (GT-N7105T) and sat down this afternoon to root using CF-Auto-Root.

I got to the part where the phone is in download mode after pressing the volume up to proceed (other option is to press volume down for exit & reboot). I did not change any settings in Odin, plugged the Note 2 into USB and hit Start in Odin (after selecting the CF-Auto-Root package... everything exactly as the instructions state), then it took a few minutes before it gave the "<ID:0/003> Added!" message. Since then it's been sitting for about an hour and a half at the same screen both on the Note 2 and in Odin... getting a bit worried because Chainfire said this should only take 30 seconds..?!

Current Odin screenshot,:

MZu2k.jpg

Hoping some others with rooting experience can help out ? did I miss a step?

In any case I don't think it's going to progress, so what would be the best (least damaging) way to exit out of this?

Massive thanks for any advice, and maybe others with Aussie model's of the Note 2 should take this as a warning...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello.

First when you enter Download Mode on your device then look at Odin on your computer make sure that YELLOW ID:COM box is lit up before proceeding further. Then follow my suggestions below.

1. Try it without the F. Reset Time box checked.

2. Try renaming the tar file and removing the .md5 (extension) so it will skip the md5 checksum. Its more of a safety and since it went thru once its verified the download is good, but at the same time I've seen removing the .md5 in return skipping the check it helps Odin move along.

3. Try a different USB cable and port if possible.

Montigusto

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Many thanks Paul.

Just so I can understand better... the yellow ID:COM box simply means communication is established with the device? So the screenshot is showing that it hasn't actually started flashing the CF-Auto-Root package?

If that's the case, I'm wondering if I should still try and root? After reading all the CF-Auto-Root instructions & info I thought the package I was using was just a generic one that could cover a whole range of different N7105 variations, but now I'm thinking that I may need to wait until there's a tested root method for the Aussie Telstra version?

I just don't want to mess anything up or brick it... Do you think it's safe to proceed with your other suggestions?

Maybe I am being a bit paranoid, but I guess that is what happens when an iPhone user of 5 years buys an Android phone and decides to root it after 2 days! :p

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
According to the screenshot you did have a connection but I wonder if you may have started the process to soon before that Yellow box lit up?

Otherwise it appears as nothing was changed from the readout/log show in the screenshot. It verified the file but did nothing else, but followed up at the end with the <ID:0/003> Added! which normally is the first thing in the list so I'm curious if you started the procedure before the connection was established between device/computer.

I'm not sure about the package your using to root, so I would be a little more cautious there and research to make sure it will work on your version.

Montigusto

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that clarification. I have since done a bit more reading up on Odin as well... I am sure that the PC was installing USB drivers so it didn't have a connection with the device. I clicked Start and it ran the MD5 check, it was after that the yellow COM box came up.

No way to learn like jumping straight in... but I think I will slow down and be a bit more cautious from here on out...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Sounds good. I would try the process again if your confident in the tar package being okay for your version of Note 2.

1. Boot the device into download mode

2. Open Odin on your computer

3. Connect the device to the computer and wait for the Yellow COM light to come up.. Usually this only takes a few seconds...

4. Once you got that, load the proper tar file into place.

5. Click AUTO REBOOT only.

6. Start and lets hope for the best :)

Montigusto

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Okay, just decided to try again.

Loaded Kies so I could get the proper USB drivers to be on the safe side (Windows just automatically detected & installed who knows what drivers previously).

Did it exactly the same as my first attempt, except waited until I had yellow COM showing. All good, yep less than 30 seconds this time! :D

The only slight hitch now is that I tried to run Triangle Away and it keeps giving the message
Could not locate hidden partition. Are you not running ICS?

I'm running Android 4.1.1 on an international Note 2 LTE (GT-N7105T, build JR003C ALK4). But my initial n00b error is solved, just got to do some research to find out how to get back to 0 binary count.

Thanks for your help!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Okay, just decided to try again.

Loaded Kies so I could get the proper USB drivers to be on the safe side (Windows just automatically detected & installed who knows what drivers previously).

Did it exactly the same as my first attempt, except waited until I had yellow COM showing. All good, yep less than 30 seconds this time! :D

The only slight hitch now is that I tried to run Triangle Away and it keeps giving the message

I'm running Android 4.1.1 on an international Note 2 LTE (GT-N7105T, build JR003C ALK4). But my initial n00b error is solved, just got to do some research to find out how to get back to 0 binary count.

Thanks for your help!

I don't know if the note is like the Samsung gs3 or not but with the gs3, you don't reset the count until you are ready to return to stock. On the gs3, the phone looks for a modified phone on every boot. This means you will always have 1 count. So you have to do triangle away, shut your phone off, boot into download mode and return to stock. If you reboot between zeroing your counts and returning to stock, you will not clear it.

Montigusto

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Cheers SkunkApe.

From what I've read I'm sure it is possible to root and keep a 0 binary count on at least some versions of the Note 2. But I've also heard of other Aussies having trouble with the firmware on our GT-N7105T variants, apparently Triangle Away just doesn't play with the firmware and the only solution is to flash a generic N7105 firmware. But then you'd think that Samsung would see the different firmware regardless of binary counter and still deny warranty? Anyway... I'll see how it plays out as more Aussies start rooting the Note 2. I'm happy to have root, if a solution comes up for the counter it'll be a bonus.

The only reason I really wanted to keep a clear counter is in case there's a hardware failure and I am not able to return to stock. Anyway it doesn't seem like hardware failure is likely.

RoFra

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. I couldn't find confirmation anywhere that the telstra version would play nicely with CF-auto-root. If you work out the triangle problem please update us.

Cheers.

ian cowen

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
i had a similar drama.i cold only get into download mode. go to sammobile.com .this is a site for stock samsung firmware.there is a wizard there which will enable you to download stock TELSTRA firmware GT-N7105T . THIS SAVED ME . ill never root a phone again

Montigusto

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi RoFra,

That error message with Triangle Away was resolved after an updated version was released - Chainfire just had to add compatibility for this particular Note 2 variant.

ian cowen - I ended up rooting successfully. The problem was that I was trying to begin the root process before communication with the phone was even established. It was rooted within 30 seconds when I did it right. Even with the slight panic-moment I experienced (which I now see was not really so serious) I still believe it would be quite hard to truly brick a phone. But it's good to know where to get the stock firmware in the future.

Cheers