1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Found out someone has turned phone into listening device.

Someone came to me and told me that another person who does not like me, for whatever reason, managed to put malicious software on my phone. The person who is responsible has access to my work computer when I'm not there. I use my USB cable at work to charge my phone and I suspect this is how they were able to do it. Needless to say I now charge with a plug and don't let my phone out of site. I also set a passcode.

Normally I'd think this was far fetched except the person was able to quote exact conversations I had (not during a phone call) and I found pictures uploaded on my internal storage device. The person I was talking to is highly unlikely to know the person relaying the information as they live over 1000 miles apart.

I use Verizon and even after a re-install of Android he said this person shared conversations with him. This leads me to believe they put something in my MBR. I believe the software must communicate over 3G as some of the conversations were when I wasn't on the phone and I don't use wifi much (I have unlimited data currently).

My questions are:

1.) How can I detect something in the MBR?

2.) How can I be 100% sure I've cleared it from the internal storage and my SD card?

3.) Does the OS live in internal storage or is that two separate devices or partitions?

Default Re: Found out someone has turned phone into listening device.

Quote Originally Posted by androidnumber5 View Post
    My questions are:

1.) How can I detect something in the MBR?

2.) How can I be 100% sure I've cleared it from the internal storage and my SD card?

3.) Does the OS live in internal storage or is that two separate devices or partitions?
    1. Android has no MBR.
    2. Cut the SD card in half and get a new one (they're cheap). Flush your internal storage from the device settings.
    3. The OS is in a read only partition. Unless your phone is rooted, nothing can be written to it.

Nothing was sent from your PC to your phone over the USB cable automatically. Anything that would be automatically written to your device via an exploit on your computer would not be able to run on your phone, unless it was rooted.

Download a terminal emulator from Google Play. Type in the command "su" without quotes. If the prompt in the terminal app changes to a pound sign (#), your phone has been rooted and anything is possible.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리