Brightest Flashlight free app has disturbing permissions

nikeairs23

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I try not to download many apps unless its highly rated and in goggle store.

So, I've been using this flashlight app for months. Yesterday I noticed something while using the flashlight to look at a spot that we want mention here on a friend of mine. I didnt want to tell her, but I noticed that instead of the usual white screen, the camera lens was somehow activated. I thought it was just a glitch from me going back and foward between the app and the camera. Then I go and look this up, and read about different permissions. Now when I open Google store usually, I don't see anything about permission. But today I used the desktop feature and saw the stuff about taking pics and videos. I was a lil angry. Ok, a lot angry. How does google allow this?

I read somewhere it has to do with accessing the camera to use the flash, but what happens to the pics it takes. These people probably have my most intimate of pics on file. This is bs. I'm heated. Is this how celeb nude pics get leaked?

fusion09

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how they can get away with this. I am still amazed there is no flashlight app i have found that doesn't allow the user to dim the light to more usable levels for nightly walks to the bathroom which is usually less than 1 lumen needed and the flashbulb from the phone is closer to 50-100 lumens.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how they can get away with this. I am still amazed there is no flashlight app i have found that doesn't allow the user to dim the light to more usable levels for nightly walks to the bathroom which is usually less than 1 lumen needed and the flashbulb from the phone is closer to 50-100 lumens.

First off the apps not taking pictures it needs that permission to access the flash module.

Second you can't control the voltage going to the led because its dangerous for one and two that would require a lot of coding to the kernel which an app can't do I think you both need to do a bit more reading Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

nikeairs23

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
First off the apps not taking pictures it needs that permission to access the flash module.

Second you can't control the voltage going to the led because its dangerous for one and two that would require a lot of coding to the kernel which an app can't do I think you both need to do a bit more reading Lol.

So are you saying some shady character hasn't been spying on me thru the flashlight app?

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
So are you saying some shady character hasn't been spying on me thru the flashlight app?

I'm telling you its unlikely these apps need that permission in order to say to the camera hey turn on the flash. Its tricking it by saying hey we are taking a picture or video or something.

nikeairs23

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm telling you its unlikely these apps need that permission in order to say to the camera hey turn on the flash. Its tricking it by saying hey we are taking a picture or video or something.

Well, you seem very knowledgeable on the subject. Its still scary though. If pics are being taken, I dont see them on my phone. Makes me wonder. I also think developers should address this concern in the description.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, you seem very knowledgeable on the subject. Its still scary though. If pics are being taken, I dont see them on my phone. Makes me wonder. I also think developers should address this concern in the description.

Good developers normally address permissions that seem out of line. Say the app needed the camera permission and the internet access permission or access to cell data then you would have reason for concern but as it stands I don't see anything crazy.

Santiago Lema

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
My small company has a flashlight app amongst other stuff. The camera is definitely needed on some models. On some you need to fiddle with the autofocus.

Instead of blaming devs you should blame manufacturers for coming up with phone firmware that require dozens of workarounds just to turn on the led. All we do its just try to make it work. And it's incredibly more complicated than it seems (on this platform).

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Brightest Flashlight Free requires these permissions:
precise location (GPS and network-based)
Photos/Media/Files
modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
test access to protected storage
Camera/Microphone
take pictures and videos
Wi-Fi connection information
view Wi-Fi connections
Device ID & call information
read phone status and identity
Other
disable or modify status bar
read Home settings and shortcuts
control flashlight
prevent device from sleeping
view network connections
full network access
install shortcuts
uninstall shortcuts

Super-Bright LED Flashlight requires these permissions:

Device & app history
retrieve running apps
Photos/Media/Files
Camera/Microphone
take pictures and videos
view Wi-Fi connections

Brightest LED Flashlight requires:
Device & app history
retrieve running apps
Photos/Media/Files
Camera/Microphone
take pictures and videos
view Wi-Fi connections
Other
receive data from Internet
control flashlight
change system display settings
modify system settings
view network connections
full network access

I don't think a little due diligence is out of line. Personally I use:

Tiny Flashlight + LED only requires:

Camera/Microphone
take pictures and videos
Other
control flashlight
control vibration
full network access
view network connections
Those permissions seem reasonable.

ronstoney

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Full network access for a flashlight app? No thanks. I've never tried to access the camera flash, but from what I've seen, the only permissions you need is android.permission.CAMERA.

r

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy