Transitioning from Palm Pre to Evo 4G

nullr

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Transitioning from the Palm Pre Sprint. To the Evo (bought on this forum). The Pre has precentral. Android has many forums but this and xda seem to be good. Saw some Pre to / Evo4G threads but none have the info I need. Couple of questions hopefully someone can answer. I already rooted the EVO with the AC rom (the Pre basically comes already rooted). Hopefully these answers can help others later on too.

Is there anything comparable to Luna Send?

It allows to to make/end calls, send sms, open apps, reboot, change wallpaper, turn GPS on and off, get phone coordinates, turn leds/vibrator on. In short basically every function the phone does can be triggered remotely via ssh.

OpenSSH server?

DDNS?

Optware?

Http server? My pre had a webserver with php. When I went to a page the Pre called its location and displayed a google maps page. I would preffer if theres no app so if I lose my phone theres nothing that can be easily uninstalled. Also good for hosting files locally.

Xserver ?

Dolio

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I am also looking for the same android features (for my Epic) that I have on the Pre (I have both phones still). I've got root, but no roms yet, no decent shell(bash) yet, any tips would be great.

ohgood

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
luna-send, hmm, i would imagine you just need adb on your computer.. adb is possible over wifi. i'm not clear on what luna send actually does, sorry.

tracking on your android phone: instamapper (my favorite) and then there are a couple of remote wipe applications, but i don't care for them. setting up a decent PIN or pattern for unlocking the phone should prevent tampering if it's lost/stolen.

andftp: push files from your phone to your computer via sftp (ssh+ftp) from anywhere.
bluetooth transfer: app called that does just what it says

there are widgets "Power Control" that recently have options for controlling:
wifi
airplane access
bluetooth
sync
data
silent (phone mode)
gps
and many other functions from 'settings' right from a widget, with one touch.

hope i've helped more than hindered. :)

ericdives

Sep 18, 2010
ericdives.com
Check out ConnectBot (and I second AndFTP as a nice phone-side client). You can, to some extent, get a local shell with it (but I don't know how feature rich that local shell actually is; I've only used it to do SSH and pull phone information based on guidance I got from another post here).

That's about all I have; I moved from the Pre to the Epic 4G and really just gave up when I had an SSH client.

nullr

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
What about an ssh server/deamon for the phone itself. Im looking but just find dead files. I will try to compile from source but abd is a pain and the virtual keyboard is really hard for typing long commands as the autocorrect usually hurts more than it helps. Im going to try to compile from source but seeing the lack of libraries on the phone I think ill be SOL on that too. This is starting to look less like a linux phone everyday. Still waiting for webos 2.0

nullr

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
UGHH cant ./configure it says permission denied what the hell you cant deny root. Is there a more loaded ROM with more linux goodies? We need webosinternals on this asap. Im trying to get optware once that is installed getting sshd/http/ddns installed is pretty easy.