Moto G isn't recognized in my development environment?

neffnan

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I first posted this question in the Moto G forum thinking that this might be a problem with the Moto G, but I'm not getting any answers there altho lots of views, so I'll repost here and hope someone can help me with some suggestions.

I'm working through the androidcentral tutorial, creating my first app. I've followed the instructions for running the app on a real device: turned on the Developer Options on the phone, and connected it via the USB cable to my PC. The PC sees the phone as an XT1034, running firmware version 1. The phone is running 4.3, and I have built the app for 4.3 (I installed the SDK for 4.3 after the app built for 4.4 didn't run either). The ADT version is v22.3.0. Just pro forma, I've rebooted my PC, disconnected-waited-reconnected the phone, and turned the phone on and off, thus rebooting everything I can think of to reboot. Under developer options, I've tried it with "Stay awake" off and on, and with "USB debugging" off and on.

The only thing that isn't standard is that I don't have a SIM card installed because I'm not using it as a phone, only as a platform to run local apps and to get email via wireless. I don't see how the absence of a SIM card would prevent the ADT from seeing the device over USB, however.

Does anybody have any suggestions about where to look or what to try next? I want to be able to load the apps I develop on the phone for demonstration purposes, so creating an AVD would only be postponing the problem. Thanks!

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I first posted this question in the Moto G forum thinking that this might be a problem with the Moto G, but I'm not getting any answers there altho lots of views, so I'll repost here and hope someone can help me with some suggestions.

I'm working through the androidcentral tutorial, creating my first app. I've followed the instructions for running the app on a real device: turned on the Developer Options on the phone, and connected it via the USB cable to my PC. The PC sees the phone as an XT1034, running firmware version 1. The phone is running 4.3, and I have built the app for 4.3 (I installed the SDK for 4.3 after the app built for 4.4 didn't run either). The ADT version is v22.3.0. Just pro forma, I've rebooted my PC, disconnected-waited-reconnected the phone, and turned the phone on and off, thus rebooting everything I can think of to reboot. Under developer options, I've tried it with "Stay awake" off and on, and with "USB debugging" off and on.

The only thing that isn't standard is that I don't have a SIM card installed because I'm not using it as a phone, only as a platform to run local apps and to get email via wireless. I don't see how the absence of a SIM card would prevent the ADT from seeing the device over USB, however.

Does anybody have any suggestions about where to look or what to try next? I want to be able to load the apps I develop on the phone for demonstration purposes, so creating an AVD would only be postponing the problem. Thanks!

You're correct in the assumption that the SIM card should have no effect on ADB connections. I would first ensure that you have the Moto G drivers installed. Doing so from the Motorola site there will install the Motorola Device Manager software, as it's bundled with the drivers. Before doing so, uninstall any other Android-related drivers you may have installed. You'll need USB Debugging enabled on the phone.

Also see these two links:

Edit: what Phil said. :p

neffnan

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, Patrick. Installing the drivers and device manager did the trick. I have now successfully run "Hello World" on the phone, not that I understand how this works yet, mind you :confused:. (I'm an embedded software engineer, hard-core 'C' programmer who is increasingly suspecting I'm going to have to resurrect what little Java I learned...) But thanks again--I appreciate you and Phil taking the time to help me out.