Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Root, hacks and what not.

    /beginrant

    Sometimes I wish the hackers wouldn't offer root/hacks to the general public.

    Getting kind of ridiculous seeing all the Crackberry fanatics migrate to Android, and want to root their phone but don't know the first thing about Linux, shell commands or even what rooting does, then complain when they don't do research prior and their device is messed up.

    If you don't know what root is, DON'T ROOT YOUR PHONE? If you don't know what root is, do us all a favor and just leave your phone stock.

    It's not 2.2's fault that your phone is bricked, stuck at M logo, wont boot up, slow, laggy, or whatever else issues you have. 99% of the time, it's your fault for not researching how to put your phone back to stock, put the bloat back on, flash 2.1 back on from a leaked 2.2, or whatever else is going on.

    I mean really.. you should read some of the posts now on XDA-Developers.. I almost don't visit that site anymore..

    I should be a Disciple.

    /endrant
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.
  2. #2  

    Default

    /beginrebuttal

    When I first got into Android in February I knew almost nothing about rooting or custom ROMS. I only knew that they existed. I had some experience with Linux, but not much more than having run Ubuntu as my main OS and understanding some terminal commands.

    But by doing it and asking stupid questions (or reading the answers to other people's stupid questions) helped me learn. I still don't mess around with certain things, but I'm happily running CM6, themed with several apps that require root access and am completely comfortable with it.

    I feel that because I remember what it was like starting out, it's my duty to help others who are new to Android and are interested in rooting. If you don't feel like helping others along, don't worry about it, but let people learn. Nobody got their knowledge instantly. I'm not going to tell people that it's risk-free, but I will tell them that it is difficult (though not impossible) to do long-term damage to the devices. These are community forums and communities grow by inviting others in.

    /endrebuttal
    Thanked by 2:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default

    Touche'

    However, you invested time, researched, tested and got things working.

    Some people aren't reading and want 1-click root, 1 click do-everything-for-me installs/roms and then when things break, they come on here without searching, without investing any real time and sticking their hands out demanding help or saying 2.2 is broke.

    Now I realize forums are community based.. but help thyself before demanding help from others.

    Keep in mind that forums are indexed by Google. If people don't search before posting, then it creates alot of un-needed links when searching in Google.. legitimate people searching for real answers and instead, find tons of useless threads by people who post duplicate threads. <- this will go on, and on, and on, until people learn to search before making another useless thread.

    I do help users.. I help out as much as I can.. but when I see problem post after problem post after problem post, it just reinforces the fact that people don't research, don't invest time, and just want the easy way out.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.
  4. #4  

    Default

    This is true. I would love to see more forum etiquette than anything else. If you do go out and screw up something. Have the decency to search the forums before posting a new thread.

    It's also a good idea that while you are getting instructions on rooting, find out how to undo what ever you just did. Many times flashing a ROM has required more than one try. I've had Nandroid backups corrupted or freeze. If you get a how to and some part of it doesn't make sense, find out. A lot of times people take for granted that users understand the terminology. I remember starting out and not understanding what a 'recovery' was. I just couldn't figure out how to flash a ROM, or for that matter do a Nandroid backup. This is easier now with Rom Manager, but knowing the terms is important.
  5. #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    /beginrant

    sometimes i wish the hackers wouldn't offer root/hacks to the general public.

    Getting kind of ridiculous seeing all the crackberry fanatics migrate to android, and want to root their phone but don't know the first thing about linux, shell commands or even what rooting does, then complain when they don't do research prior and their device is messed up.

    If you don't know what root is, don't root your phone? If you don't know what root is, do us all a favor and just leave your phone stock.

    It's not 2.2's fault that your phone is bricked, stuck at m logo, wont boot up, slow, laggy, or whatever else issues you have. 99% of the time, it's your fault for not researching how to put your phone back to stock, put the bloat back on, flash 2.1 back on from a leaked 2.2, or whatever else is going on.

    I mean really.. You should read some of the posts now on xda-developers.. I almost don't visit that site anymore..

    i should be a disciple.

    /endrant
    hi ive got a new galaxy and the old htc hero which i cant find if its getting the froyo update im willing to try rooting tho id like to get someone with knolwledge to do so for me can you advise me on whom ever where ever shop wise etc i could get this done and for how much would you say its worth paying the right person for doing so or do you actually know if htc hero is getting froyo thanks
  6. #6  
    Brett's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,394 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trevandy View Post
    hi ive got a new galaxy and the old htc hero which i cant find if its getting the froyo update im willing to try rooting tho id like to get someone with knolwledge to do so for me can you advise me on whom ever where ever shop wise etc i could get this done and for how much would you say its worth paying the right person for doing so or do you actually know if htc hero is getting froyo thanks
    i strongly do not recommend this. if you get sombody to do it for you then if something goes wrong in the future you will have no idea how to get it back to stock or unbrick the device. i would go to the galaxy s forums here and read over some threads on rooting and also search other forums. it is not as hard to root your device as it is made out to be. though i do want to clarify that you should only root your device if you are willing to educate yourself on how what it does, what you can do with it, how to root, how to unroot and also what to do if somthing goes wrong. if you do not want to take the time to educate yourself on those subjects then i would not recommend rooting because there is a risk by doing so. it's not a major risk IF you know what your doing though.
  7. #7  

    Default

    Exactly as the post above says. Do not get someone else to do it for you. Spend the time to acquaint yourself with the methods and terminology of rooting. You want to learn all you can about the tools and resources out there to help you.

    Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
  8. #8  

    Default

    Another rebuttal:

    Granted I am still admittedly quite the android n00b, but I can sympathize with both sides. There are quite a few people askign ridiculous questions that any google search will answer. However, many forums, including this one, are very fragmented when it comes to information regarding rooting.

    I am currently still unrooted. Not because I don't understand what it will do or because I am scared, but because I haven't found any real comprehensive source of info about rooting a 2.2 android. From researching, I'm pretty sure with the new unrevoked update, things are pretty much the same as 2.1 however, I am not positive and thus, not trying it yet.
  9. #9  
    charlie hustle's Avatar

    Posts
    236 Posts
    ROM
    Blazer 1.4 Rom

    Default

    Another rebuttal.
    I am pretty new to the android community. I have had my evo for about 2.5 months now. Im a tech person and i have just rooted my phone. If it wasnt for me inquiring about rooting and doing some research then i would have been afraid to make that jump. I had a forum mate at an gaming forum hold my hand through the rooting process because its more comfortable having someone standing over your shoulders just in case. But you have to consider that this OS is becoming very popular and rooting is the new jailbreaking. I didnt root just because, i rooted because i wanted the flexibility and freedom that android has, like backing up my rom just in case the worse happens, or even taking a screen shot of my homescreen. Im more than sure that i will pass on what little i know to someone else who is nervous to make that jump, but still want to make it. Thats what forums are for. Also i did my research about rooting even before i bought my evo, and i though i would hold out on rooting at least until christmas, but i just couldnt resist.
  10. #10  
    charlie hustle's Avatar

    Posts
    236 Posts
    ROM
    Blazer 1.4 Rom

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevo11 View Post
    Another rebuttal:

    Granted I am still admittedly quite the android n00b, but I can sympathize with both sides. There are quite a few people askign ridiculous questions that any google search will answer. However, many forums, including this one, are very fragmented when it comes to information regarding rooting.

    I am currently still unrooted. Not because I don't understand what it will do or because I am scared, but because I haven't found any real comprehensive source of info about rooting a 2.2 android. From researching, I'm pretty sure with the new unrevoked update, things are pretty much the same as 2.1 however, I am not positive and thus, not trying it yet.
    hey stevo, i just read your pm. I pm'd you back....
  11. #11  
    igotsanevo4g's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

    Default

    Well i got my evo in august, and i read ALOT before i decided to root, and i LISTENED to the community. Thats my biggest pet peeve is when you tell a noob how to do something and they discredit you and go the easy way. GRRRRRRRR
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
  12. #12  
    Forrest's Avatar

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

    Default newbie android user.

    I am a avid computer user and have been lusting over Android phones for a while now. I bought a G2 finally.

    I have used Redhat and slackware back in the day. While i have forgotten alot of stuff, my main goal is to learn how to back up and restore the phone if any thing bad happens. Once i got that down i plan to move another step forward. My real goal is to remove the bloatware that i will never use.

    But i am part of that learning community. I may mess up, but i am probably gonna try any ways hehe.
  13. #13  
    beezy's Avatar

    Posts
    2,457 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Extra Crispy

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trevandy View Post
    hi ive got a new galaxy and the old htc hero which i cant find if its getting the froyo update im willing to try rooting tho id like to get someone with knolwledge to do so for me can you advise me on whom ever where ever shop wise etc i could get this done and for how much would you say its worth paying the right person for doing so or do you actually know if htc hero is getting froyo thanks
    If its the sprint htc hero then it will not get official froyo 2.2. Now on the other hand if you root the hero then you could flash cyan or there's a froyo rom being worked on for the hero.Only way to put either of them on there is to root it.Check the hero hacking forums for how to root it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    I am a avid computer user and have been lusting over Android phones for a while now. I bought a G2 finally.

    I have used Redhat and slackware back in the day. While i have forgotten alot of stuff, my main goal is to learn how to back up and restore the phone if any thing bad happens. Once i got that down i plan to move another step forward. My real goal is to remove the bloatware that i will never use.

    But i am part of that learning community. I may mess up, but i am probably gonna try any ways hehe.
    Once you have root and a custom recovery then you can nadroid backup/restore at anytime.
  14. #14  
    Forrest's Avatar

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beezy420 View Post

    Once you have root and a custom recovery then you can nadroid backup/restore at anytime.
    So your saying backup is impossible unless i root first?
  15. #15  

    Default

    I've never touched Linux -- I got my Eris in March -- I just released my first mod on XDA a little bit ago. Some people take the time to learn, seek answers, and figure things out -- others deserve bricks.
  16. #16  

    Default

    Total Android nOOb here. I've wanted an Android device for some time now, and being stuck on AT&T, I knew that I'd have to get around the carrier's crippling of its phones. I've jailbroken iPhones and flashed CrackBerries, so I'm not completely foreign to the practice. Mucking around the forums and reading everything I could find helped me on my way. Bought my Aria on Friday, rooted and flashed Liberated Aria yesterday. Phone runs like a dream.

    The help is here. All you have to do is look.
  17. #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    So your saying backup is impossible unless i root first?
    That is unfortunately correct to my knowledge. To do a Nandroid backup you need a custom recovery that will give you the option.

    With a G2 you'll have to wait until there is a permanent root option. Shouldn't be long though. Then you can use a custom recovery to do a Nandroid backup/restore.
  18. #18  

    Smile A Newbie who thanks all posters who share so much knowledge - TY TY

    To those who are willing to be so helpful, I am an Android newbie (but a network and IT tech) who thanks you ALL!!!

    I have been reading and reading and reading for several weeks now, and in defense of us newbies... it is hard to get the whole picture from forums as they jump around a lot -- as well as change hourly sometimes!!

    Everytime I think I'm ready for rooting and/or a custom ROM, I read something "different" and then don't feel ready again... But I keep trying and reading because ATT/Aria stinks with all the lock-outs.

    P.S. -- To Chairman Plow: it has been a couple of weeks now - are you still happpy with your Aria Liberated flash?? and what are your favorite features over stock??

    To anyone else experienced with this, my biggest worry is not being able to "undo" what I have done and flash back to stock ROM -- I have tried multiple backup methods and none seem to work with the non-rooted and locked Aria.... Any general advice about backups before I start the process? (i.e. nandroid, etc...)
  19. #19  
    asuma06's Avatar

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

    Default

    Hello, I'm new in using android(LG optimus one) but not with linux, I already rooted my phone using both 1-click and doing it manually bot works fine for me. removed some unwanted default apps also...just want some honest opinion...someone suggested using a task killer to make the battery last longer, is this true? i yes...what task killer app you can recommend. thanks
  20. #20  
    Brett's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,394 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

    Default

    uh-oh somebody sound the alarms haha

    Task killers are taboo in this neck of the woods (AC atleast haha)

    If you are looking for something to help boost performance you can try Autokiller. It is an app that is not designed to kill applications but instead it will help manage memory better. It will see what apps are using memory that do not need to be. I used to use it on my Droid but haven't installed it on my DInc since i do not see a major reason to do so. I would say check that out instead of using a Task killer. Though, the choice is yours
  21. #21  
    asuma06's Avatar

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

    Default

    @Brett,

    thanks for the the advise...I'll try that autokiller app.
  22. #22  
    Brett's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,394 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

    Default

    No problem. good luck and if you can, report back to us with your results. I'm sure a lot of people will be interested in hearing about it.
  23. #23  
    asuma06's Avatar

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

    Default

    @Brett,

    ok...thanks again.
  24. #24  
    asuma06's Avatar

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

    Default

    @brett,

    I already installed autokiller and been using if for 2 days now. Works without any problem with my optimus one. thanks for recommending this app.
  25. #25  
    Brett's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,394 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asuma06 View Post
    @brett,

    I already installed autokiller and been using if for 2 days now. Works without any problem with my optimus one. thanks for recommending this app.
    Not a problem asuma. the one thing you may notice with autokiller is if you multitask a lot, certain apps may get killed off. for me it might have been due to me setting it to aggressive. Not to sure but either way it is worth it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions