Sprint pre owner with ?????

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
ok i am due for my upgrade here soon and since palm has not even shown a little sign of hope im looking at android. But my question are

1 is there an app or program that is like internalz which allows me to move files delete files and most of all INstall files

2 i like my mods i have done to my pre one being the ability to down load music for free by giving me the option of stream or download.

those are the 2 biggest deal breakers i got just wanted to know if they are possible cause im leaning towards the EVO of EPIC

thanks in advance

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
ok i am due for my upgrade here soon and since palm has not even shown a little sign of hope im looking at android. But my question are

1 is there an app or program that is like internalz which allows me to move files delete files and most of all INstall files

2 i like my mods i have done to my pre one being the ability to down load music for free by giving me the option of stream or download.

those are the 2 biggest deal breakers i got just wanted to know if they are possible cause im leaning towards the EVO of EPIC

thanks in advance

1) See the Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks, Applications section:
ASTRO File Manager - Install and run apps, edit, backup apps, etc.

2) See the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android, webOS Patches That Are Standard Features or Apps in Android
Music Player
• Download Music - MP3 Music Download, Music Downloader Pro, and more
YouTube
Video Download - Download YouTube Ripper or FREEdi YouTube Down–loader! to save YouTube as videos and MP3’s to SD card.

You know the 400+ patches and hundreds of patch requests in webOS? Palm incorporated 6 of them. Android incorporated 130. Google listened to the users.

Last edited:
Reactions: mhuggins

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
well im sold i guess its time now to pick between the EVO or the EPIC i dont suppose u have a page on that do u lol

plcd22

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Don't do it man! you will regret it! ;) I have a pre and my wife just got the Motorola i1 (Android with Direct Connect - Nextel) it is nice in some ways but WebOS is just so nice and the functionality will be lost! Sorry to post this on this website but I just couldn't watch as "another one bites the dust"...

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Don't do it man! you will regret it! ;) I have a pre and my wife just got the Motorola i1 (Android with Direct Connect - Nextel) it is nice in some ways but WebOS is just so nice and the functionality will be lost! Sorry to post this on this website but I just couldn't watch as "another one bites the dust"...

The i1 doesn't even begin to compare to the EVO or Epic. I would take a Pre over the i1 any day.

The EVO and Epic are far better than the Pre, but there are definitely a few things I do miss from WebOS.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk

plcd22

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
The i1 doesn't even begin to compare to the EVO or Epic. I would take a Pre over the i1 any day.

The EVO and Epic are far better than the Pre, but there are definitely a few things I do miss from WebOS.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk

yeah those two BETTER be better than the Pre since they just came out and the Pre has been out over a year, but I have played with an Evo some and it just isn't as easy to navigate as the Pre and the multitasking, synergy, and universal search are bar none! Sorry again for posting this Pre stuff on an android site!

johnshaft

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
As a former Palm Pre user(July 27, 2009 - July 28, 2010), I suggest the HTC Evo. No question about it. And when you get it,root it!

MissDeevi

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
As a former Pre owner who has kept the Pre in the family (my mom uses it now and is gettin the pre 2 when it hits) I had the Evo ad have the Epic. Trust me, you get over the Pre. The screen was ridiculously small....I use my moms phone now and feel severely limited in the tasks that I can accomplish literally everything is better. With the speed it doesn't even matter if you have multi tasking cards...in the time it took for the cards to zoom out and load to the point you can tell them apart you will have already opened the app and begun the task on the Epic or Evo. I only switched from Evo because I dropped calls in my house way too ofte and when I got my replacement shapewriter was no longer in the market and I was still droppin calls. I would rather use a rumor2 than the pre at this point..... Just my 2 cents. Oh and THIS was posted from my phone and written in literally 2 minutes (if that)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

dynastyisp

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
dont do it! i was given a samsung epic and i miss my pre sooo much! android is a childs sw. a pre with preware is so much better then anything android can push out. the multitasking on a pre is years ahead of android. id rather have a regular flip phone then android. android is for 12 year olds, not business people.

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
hrm the above poster has 1 post and just joined today all to tell you to not do it?!?!?!?!

Hell im 38 and I have an Evo.. ive had Winmo phones, an Iphone 3G and 3Gs, 2 palm Treos lol..And the Evo beats em all IMO

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Having switched from a Pre to an EVO, here's a few things. I love the EVO. The touchscreen took a few days to get to the point of speed typing, but I don't miss a dedicated keyboard at all now. The number of apps on Android is great, but wading through the crap in the Market sucks. There are quite a few good ones, but a lot of pointless ones to wade through to find them. The bigger screen on the EVO made it virtually impossible to revert to the Palm when I needed to use it for 2 days while they sorted out some account issues. The OS issue is complicated. I miss the WebOS. Palm did a lot of things right. Android isn't bad, but it is a bit rough around the edges. Once you get past that, you'll adapt and forget about the Palm. My advice, go for the EVO.

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
well thats my only issue right now is deciding between EVO or EPIC and right now the EVO is the only one with FROYO so im leaning more towards it. But one last thing is to help me with the chose of EPIC or EVO and thanks to evereybody on this one that whole PRE to ANDROID how to was the best thing ever

buzzardjrt

i just picked up the Epic because of the full keypad. i will go back to H/Palm in 8 months or more when they start bringing out regular devices. i am not saying i hate android but i do thing WebOS is a better system all and all. the main reason i left was due to the lack of apps i ended up needing for my work. WebOS just does not have them yet but i know when HP rolls out their whole new line things will change.

i had the EVO but had to get a real key pad as i am a HARD user and the screen keypad did not work for me at all and i tried for weeks.

both will have a better battery life if you spend half your time shutting things down (that gets annoying)

i will be back for the exact reason you stated in your original post, you can customize the Pres any way you want to and its sooo much more fluid to use.

good luck

jhasty

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
After finally learning the nature of the next Pre and knowing that "super" phones for WebOS are at least six months away, I chose to jump ship after a decade of owning Palm phones.

Admitedly, WebOS has a much better GUI and multi-tasking, but the Pre hardware has been poor and the Pre2 is just a small incremental bump.

I really like my new Evo and I feel that new technologies and applications are more likely to be supported there than on WebOS (with only 5% market share).

pin0y_bear

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I literally switched from a Pre to the Epic a week ago as soon as I was eligible for my upgrade discount. I would never go back. I got so frustrated with the slowness of the Pre, becoming unresponsive for seconds at a time and lack of apps.

I love everything about the Epic: speed, screen size, app selection. Works just fine with my work Exchange server.

Examiner19

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Launch day Pre owner to a launch day Evo owner. No question about it, after a few weeks, you will wonder how you ever dealt with the Pre's tiny screen and sloooooooow everything. I haven't used an Epic, but it really comes down to whether you need a physical keyboard. I, for one, got used to the on-screen with the Evo and now wouldn't want the added bulk of a phone with a physical keyboard. Good luck!

Kriegel

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I switched from the Pre to the Epic yesterday. It was a sad day for me as I love WebOS, but HPalm is taking way too long to release a new phone on Sprint to keep any of its previous customer base with them. The Pre came out 1.5 years ago, and the hardware broke fairly often so we all needed a place to go. I love the Epic so far, but the multi-tasking on the Pre is what I'm missing. The Epic seems to open apps on its own for no apparent reason (looking at you email and Sprint Navigation) and the only way to find it out is looking for them. The cards were much better at this (and even update in the background!).

Other than that, the Epic is great in comparison. The apps are the biggest part since HPalm will come out with the hardware sometime in theory. Until then, consider me an Android user.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
...I love the Epic so far, but the multi-tasking on the Pre is what I'm missing. The Epic seems to open apps on its own for no apparent reason (looking at you email and Sprint Navigation) and the only way to find it out is looking for them. The cards were much better at this (and even update in the background!)...

See the Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks section on Multitasking. Android Multitasking works flawlessly without your intervention. It is a lot like going from a manual to an automatic. It just will always be in the right gear without you having to to do the work.

Also see the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android for specific times for coming from webOS to Android.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie