How to install just an app on a standalone device for dedicated use?

James Houlihan

May 15, 2015
Visit site
How to install "just an app" on a standalone device for dedicated use

I have an app that functions on my phone and I'd like to port it to a third party device, such as a Raspberry Pi 2. Yes, I'm aware that there are functionality issues with that device and Android, but that's most likely beside the point.

What I'd like to do with this app is have a standalone device that just runs the function of the app. Other companies have already done this - you turn on the device, it might show the "Android" logo at startup, but that's all the evidence you get that it's even running android - it immediately throws the user into a UI that appears to be a running app. No app page, no need to pick the app and open it, etc.

How is this done? Whenever I ask someone, I seem to get a broad answer: "Well, they designed it using Android." Not helpful. Is this an app? Have they customized the Android OS itself to their own version and put that on the device?

Ultimately, I have an app and I've been told that I can simply "put it on" a standalone device, such as the Raspberry Pi, and bingo, it will run the app automatically as a device dedicated to only running the app.

I have since begun the process of installing ice cream sandwich onto a raspberry pi using BerryBoot and hope to then install the APK file. However, this is still not reflective of dedicated Android devices I've seen that (appear to) run nothing else BUT the dedicated software.

Any help, how-to's, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to install "just an app" on a standalone device for dedicated use

Hi there,

Not sure on the specifics since I'm not a dev, but basically yes, those devices (like phones you find in hotels, tablets you find in kiosks, etc.) run a modified OS. They can either modify the OS deep enough to actually make changes to it, just like carriers do, or they just modify the boot sequence to replace the Android Launcher with their app (essentially they build their app into a launcher). Config files, settings, etc. are tweaked to their needs.

Not sure on the Raspberry thing, though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci