Help me understand how to develop sidebar

Maurice Rager

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,

I have a couple questions for ya'll. I would like to try to develop a sidebar that is on the home screen. You know, one that allows you to put app shortcuts on it and allows you to launch apps from it. My main question is, would I create an activity like you normally would and make the activity UI the size I want? Like that would be the sidebar right? I hope this makes sense to everyone.

One more question is, there is another app I would like to try and make but it is for the edge. Is there a certain way that you have to develop apps to use the edge functionality? Or how would I get it on the edge when the user is using the screen?

I hope I hear back from someone, and thank you in advance!

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I have a couple questions for ya'll. I would like to try to develop a sidebar that is on the home screen. You know, one that allows you to put app shortcuts on it and allows you to launch apps from it. My main question is, would I create an activity like you normally would and make the activity UI the size I want? Like that would be the sidebar right? I hope this makes sense to everyone.

One more question is, there is another app I would like to try and make but it is for the edge. Is there a certain way that you have to develop apps to use the edge functionality? Or how would I get it on the edge when the user is using the screen?

I hope I hear back from someone, and thank you in advance!

Welcome to Android Central!

Did you ever figure this out?