Application idea - camera (read barcode), and send data to ip address

standupdad

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I want to create an application or two, and the first one I want to do must be able to:

using a "chart", assign a numeric value to various barcode symologies... 1 for UPCA, 2 Code 39, etc

Read a barcode with the camera
"decode" the barcode symbology and create a value for the scanned bc
Cache the data from the decode and symbology
open a text file
Write that barocode symbology value to a file
Write that barcode data to the file on the phone or sd card
save the change
Send the file to an ip address and port that is configured by the user.

What I can already do with terminal emulation apps is log into the ip address of a embedded wireless device, and configure the device through a console. I can also send it a script instead. By scanning a barcode from a scanboard, I could take a value from that barcode and inject it into a file that is already mostly scripted, but with the value of the barcode as the only part that is missing. Once scanned, then written to the file, it could automatically or through a button press, send the file to the ip address to configure the device.

Since some barcodes might be code 39, upca, code 128, etc, each of those barcodes must be programmed into my script. So if I scan a code 39 barcode, the script might call that a value of 2, and then I place that 2 in my script along with the data in the code 39 barcode. With 2 variables always in play, type of barcode and data from the barcode read, that's what always has to be in the script.

Now for the hard part, at least for me. I have been working with App Inventor, and found that they do not have a TCP module, and do not believe that AI is where I should be to make this app. My question is for anyone familiar with programming TCP/sockets, or whatever other networking name it would be called, and another form of programming for the creation of this type of app. I am already working in eclipse, and the learning curve for me is high because of the lack of time I am able to spend with the beast of a utility. As much as I would love to build this app myself, I would consider paying someone to create it for me as long as I could have the source and continue to modify it after the fact and call it my own. PM me your price, but please remember that I have an ex wife that is already bleeding me to death and that I would prefer to work on this app myself, so I am more interested in a nudge or push in the right direction to create the app.

Long of the short, it's a scanner app that allows me to inject the data read from the barcode into a text file and then send the file to an ip. if I could find a telnet app (ip and port configurability) that allowed me to send text files, I would be partially there, so instead I strive to create.

Anyone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol