Another scam alert!

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I looked at one of his posts and it is full of misinformation (description did not match photos). He probably joined for the sole purpose of scamming here on AC. He joined less than 2 mo. ago and made sure to post meaningless stuff to get some sort of established history. A lot of his posts were in the "MarketPlace" a redflag . Chances are he will do this again here under a different name. Beware of who you buy and look at their history here on AC. Buy from well established members with established history and longevity.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hate to hear about people ripping people off like this.Like they say what comes around goes around so hopefully someone catches up to him and gives him a beat down as well as getting their money back .Sounds like he deserves it

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I don't think AC's stance on this is right. When the issue is clearly fraud, AC SHOULD be willing to get involved. Horrible response by AC this time.

OTHERWISE ... you might as well shut down the entire market place before the Android Central brand is tainted by a reputation for fraud.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
OTHERWISE ... you might as well shut down the entire market place before the Android Central brand is tainted by a reputation for fraud.

agree with you completely, AC has no marketplace feedback system so it's clear they don't tend to get too involved... look at this forum and go to the marketplace and see how it's set up. Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

If AC doesn't want to get involved I believe they should just drop it all together, it's not a good look on their behalf. Professionalism doesn't look to good here.

On the forum I posted, users with lower feedback ship first, after you get your item you have to update the buyer/seller link and so forth, it's pretty effective... still a couple risk but it's better than nothing.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't think AC's stance on this is right. When the issue is clearly fraud, AC SHOULD be willing to get involved. Horrible response by AC this time.

I agree. Providing the means to deal, and then turning a blind eye when a large issue arises and leave it up to the members to handle it is lazy at best. Other sites do more for the members in the marketplace. I understand caveat emptor, but the firm stance that they don't get involved is pathetic.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

Exactly. When it's something this serious and has happened this many times in don't see how they couldn't get involved..

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I looked at one of his posts and it is full of misinformation (description did not match photos). He probably joined for the sole purpose of scamming here on AC. He joined less than 2 mo. ago and made sure to post meaningless stuff to get some sort of established history. A lot of his posts were in the "MarketPlace" a redflag . Chances are he will do this again here under a different name. Beware of who you buy and look at their history here on AC. Buy from well established members with established history and longevity.

The people who usually get taken advantage of like this are usually the ones who believe they just got a bargain. Ideally it's great there's even a marketplace to begin with and with that in mind, there's entirely too much trust with no buyer protection. As long as this guy can keep getting away with this here he's no different than a Craigslist con artist.

Many of us are aware of the red flags but we have to also keep in mind that others aren't as gifted in smelling BS!

I say this with the best intentions and not to incite a riot--When someone adds to the marketplace and it's too good to be true, chances are it is and it's up to knowledgable members to speak up and intervene if necessary. IF AC "doesn't get involved" then someone has to. You'd be surprised how fast a great site can get a bad rep because of stuff like this.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
If I call someone stupid or belittle one of their comments I can be kicked off the site.

If I scam members and steal their money nobody wants to get involved.

I guess it's just easier to turn a blind eye than to get involved.

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
If I call someone stupid or belittle one of their comments I can be kicked off the site.

If I scam members and steal their money nobody wants to get involved.

I guess it's just easier to turn a blind eye than to get involved.

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.

Perfectly said...

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I received this private message:

"Hello pappy53,

The post that you created in the following thread has been un-approved

================================================== ========================
Post ID: Watch out for "Rudeco". He has scammed several members on......
Thread: [ROM-CM9]Paranoid Android Tablet UI~August 15th,2012 MIC FIXED
================================================== ========================

If you have any questions, you can ask an administrator for assistance.

Sincerely,
The Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com staff
--Chris [cole2kb]"

Why wouldn't they want the members to know about a known scammer? I don't understand.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Guys, if you read the Marketplace Rules, it is stated in bold red font that you are at your own risk when purchasing items in the Marketplace.

You are free to post your feedback here in the Marketplace forum, but it's not our responsibility to get in the middle of nor police buyer/seller disputes.

All I know right now, is that this person has sold 4 items in the Marketplace forum. Nobody has complained about him up until this thread was started yesterday. Now there's 5 of you all saying he tried to and/or did scam you.

That said, I sent Rudeco a PM yesterday, to inform him that he had 24-hours to respond in this thread. He has not done so and has been banned.

Pappy, your post was unapproved because it was outside of the Marketplace forum.

I personally wouldn't conduct a transaction, with anyone on the internet, unless I had some sort of assurance that my payment would be protected in the event something went wrong.

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
He tried to pull the same stunt with me. He said he was leaving the country and dropped it off at Fedex for me.
I luckily tried paying him with my credit card + non-gift via Paypal. He rejected the payment and said he wanted GIFT ONLY.

I told him no because there was no protection. Watch out for this guy. He has been doing the same thing on other forums. From now on, everyone must use NON-GIFT Paypal.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Any news from anyone? Looks like he did the same thing over on the Android Forums. Ripped a bunch of people off under a lot of different names.

MichaelBane

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Any news from anyone? Looks like he did the same thing over on the Android Forums. Ripped a bunch of people off under a lot of different names.

From what I can tell they saw he logged on under the same IP for all 3 names.... they've since blocked that IP and the users. Safe to say he's gone because of all the heat on him now on the forums. Its friggin nuts.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
From what I can tell they saw he logged on under the same IP for all 3 names.... they've since blocked that IP and the users. Safe to say he's gone because of all the heat on him now on the forums. Its friggin nuts.

Yeah. That's absolutely insane. I've been buying and selling here and on CrackBerry for a couple years and I couldn't imagine doing that to anyone. It's premeditated wire fraud. Obtaining money via the Internet over fraudulent means. I knew there was always the chance something may not come in the condition as described, but damn this is crazy.

Bren S.

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
He tried to pull the same stunt with me. He said he was leaving the country and dropped it off at Fedex for me.
I luckily tried paying him with my credit card + non-gift via Paypal. He rejected the payment and said he wanted GIFT ONLY.

I told him no because there was no protection. Watch out for this guy. He has been doing the same thing on other forums. From now on, everyone must use NON-GIFT Paypal.

Have you noticed how many of the ads here ask for payment as gift? Not good...Not good at all.

Sent telepathically via my Galaxy Nexus

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Have you noticed how many of the ads here ask for payment as gift? Not good...Not good at all.

Sent telepathically via my Galaxy Nexus

I've sold tons of stuff on here and CrackBerry like I said and have always asked for payment via gift because it saves money for me and until I had enough PayPal transactions regular payments took a few days for me to be able to withdraw them. Luckily for me, a few people trusted me early on and I was able to earn a good reputation as an honest seller.

I have also added the caveat to my sales that if you want the protection of it being a regular purchase to add in the fees. Most everyone is okay with that (I've done it numerous times on purchases I've made as well), or at least you can negotiate it in. And I never turned someone away who demanded it be regular payment. That's just dumb business. Like I said, worst case scenario is you negotiate it in to the price.

What I'm getting at is paying via gift isn't always the problem. It's the person who you're dealing with. That they ask for it as gift doesn't mean they are a scammer. It's the multitude of their actions. That being said, if someone can't point you to their feedback, and isn't willing to work with you, I would NEVER pay via gift in the forums anymore. To some trusted sellers that I've already done transactions with (or am close to someone who has), I would.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I've sold tons of stuff on here and CrackBerry like I said and have always asked for payment via gift because it saves money for me and until I had enough PayPal transactions regular payments took a few days for me to be able to withdraw them. Luckily for me, a few people trusted me early on and I was able to earn a good reputation as an honest seller.

I have also added the caveat to my sales that if you want the protection of it being a regular purchase to add in the fees. Most everyone is okay with that (I've done it numerous times on purchases I've made as well), or at least you can negotiate it in. And I never turned someone away who demanded it be regular payment. That's just dumb business. Like I said, worst case scenario is you negotiate it in to the price.

What I'm getting at is paying via gift isn't always the problem. It's the person who you're dealing with. That they ask for it as gift doesn't mean they are a scammer. It's the multitude of their actions. That being said, if someone can't point you to their feedback, and isn't willing to work with you, I would NEVER pay via gift in the forums anymore. To some trusted sellers that I've already done transactions with (or am close to someone who has), I would.

1. Are you saying the buyer sends you the fee as a separate gift transaction? Otherwise, aren't you just raising the sale price and therefore the fee, as well?

2. The fact that seller reputations aren't tracked and referenced here at AC is a major weakness. If AC is going to offer a marketplace, they ought to develop some form of seller reputation tracking. Failing this ... AC ought to AT LEAST assist in cases of obvious & recurring fraud.

3. I still see AC's failure to help its community in fraud cases as a major stain in the otherwise bright reputation AC has ... had.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
1. Are you saying the buyer sends you the fee as a separate gift transaction? Otherwise, aren't you just raising the sale price and therefore the fee, as well?

2. The fact that seller reputations aren't tracked and referenced here at AC is a major weakness. If AC is going to offer a marketplace, they ought to develop some form of seller reputation tracking. Failing this ... AC ought to AT LEAST assist in cases of obvious & recurring fraud.

3. I still see AC's failure to help its community in fraud cases as a major stain in the otherwise bright reputation AC has ... had.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

1. Absolutely not what I was saying. For example, say I want $300 net to me for my phone. You want to be covered under PayPal's protection, so you don't want to pay as a gift. So we've agreed on a price, but you want their protection, so if you pay me $300 not as gift, I'll lose roughly $9 from their fees. So we negotiate a slightly higher price, say $305-ish. You pay as regular payment to cover you. I get close to my $300 net payment after PayPal takes their fee. And everyone is happy.

2. Absolutely agree 100%.

3. Absolutely agree 100%.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc