Possible scam alert!

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Folks. I may be going out on a limb here, but here goes. I think that "boatman11" and "TannerRG" are the same person and scammer that was working this forum and Android Forums classifieds a while back. Also has aliases of tRobert, Garrett1, dtanner, Rudeco, and ColtonLane. "Rudeco" is the one that got me over a S3, along with several other people. It seems strange that boatman11 and TannerRG have about the same number of posts, and joined in the same month. Also, "Rudeco" was also posting back then in the LG Optimus V rooting forum. Guess where "boatman11" and "TannerRG" are posting? Also, look at the names. TannerRG is part of "dtanner", and the capital "R" and "G" from Robert and Garrett. Everything is just too coincidental.
The scam is to get you to send money by Paypal gift, and then you will never receive the merchandise.
Check these links, and make you own conclusions:
http://androidforums.com/classified...s3-sch-i53-smartphone-blue-16gb-t-mobile.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/marketplace/208883-another-scam-alert-3.html#post2178333

I may be wrong, but I don't think so. At least check it out before you send money.

UPDATE: No rebuttal from either? Looks like I am right.

Last edited:

willistheyounger

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing pappy and I must agree don't do paypal gift unless they can back up anything with other users

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

blackjaguar25

Thunderbolter
Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Kept giving excuses as to why he couldn't ship first, even though I'm a trustworthy member. No way in hell was I going to send someone my money via PayPal gift. Unless it's pappy or a few other guys on this site.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Damn. Glad you caught this. Looks like you could be right. I don't send anyone money via gift unless I know them and have done business before.

Keep up the good detective work, Pappy.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Folks. I may be going out on a limb here, but here goes. I think that "boatman11" and "TannerRG" are the same person and scammer that was working this forum and Android Forums classifieds a while back.

What are you basing this on? tannerd - over at AF is selling a phone that's on T-Mobile's network. Here at AC - TannerG has sold a few phone's -- both of which run on Sprint's network. I'm not revealing to you the specifics of how we do our IP address checks, but I can tell you there is absolutely no clear relationship between either member. Like you, I can make some assumptions, but they differ from yours. What we both need is something definite.

Also has aliases of tRobert, Garrett1, dtanner, Rudeco, and ColtonLane. "Rudeco"

With the exception of Rudeco, not a single one of these members is registered at AC.

It seems strange that boatman11 and TannerRG have about the same number of posts, and joined in the same month. Also, "Rudeco" was also posting back then in the LG Optimus V rooting forum. Guess where "boatman11" and "TannerRG" are posting? Also, look at the names. TannerRG is part of "dtanner", and the capital "R" and "G" from Robert and Garrett. Everything is just too coincidental.

Now you've brought boatman11 into this. Boatman11 has sold a Verizon branded phone at AC.

Just for you, I went through the process of registering an account at AF to see which classified threads boatman11 had started.

1.) I couldn't even find a member named boatman11.
2.) They do have a boatman, but that person has never posted in the classifieds section at AF, nor have they ever posted in their Droid M forums - which is the phone that our boatman11 is selling at AC.
3.) Our boatman11 sold an S3 10-days ago, and I have not received any complaints from a member (assuming it was even one of our members that bought it) that they have not received their item and/or been scammed. Their boatman posted 3 times in their S3 forums, and it was back in September in their Verizon release date speculation thread. The last time a member posted with the exact name of "boatman" in our forums was back in June.
4.) Regardless, there has never been a ban of any variations of boatman at either site.

You might not realize this, but all forums have registered usernames that are variations and/or partial matches of the same name. At AF there are 5 variations of Boatman & there are 14 variations of Tanner. It is not uncommon for a registered member to add variances to their usernames, if their username of choice is not available. You're making some pretty big assumptions, and I'm not sure what you expect me to do with them.

The scam is to get you to send money by Paypal gift, and then you will never receive the merchandise.

Then stop making offers to those who are asking for Paypal gifts, which BTW, none of the members have asked for publicly. This is a post transaction decision that the buyer has made.

Thinking so is not enough to make an informed decision.

At least check it out before you send money.

I would definitely recommend this common sense advise & this is where AC stops unless a formal complaint is filed about a specific member, and that member does not respond in a satisfactory way. Unfortunately, we cannot do this until after a member has agreed to purchase the item and the seller has not fulfilled their end of the deal.

UPDATE: No rebuttal from either? Looks like I am right.

I'm actually a little annoyed that you're accusing members here at AC of being scam artists when none of these names even match up, nor do you have any evidence that these members have done anything to rip anyone off. Not only that, you continue to make offers on items where the sellers terms is cash or PayPal -- the very method you've advised everyone else not to use -- for this very reason. On top of that I've just spent several hours of time researching your accusations -- which is something we've clearly stated is not something we are responsible for. It's your responsibility to make informed, cautious, and reasonable decisions. That's my rebuttal & it took me several hours of investigation to come up with a bunch of nothing.

Here's a demo of the username variations explanation:

2012-10-29_10-09-41.png

2012-10-29_10-10-17-1.png

If you were take a look at our search results, we have 124 variations of tanner, and 9 variations of boatman.

Edit: I mistakenly switched boatman and boatman11 in a few sentences. I fixed it, but it doesn't change the facts of what I've written.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
"Not only that, you continue to make offers on items where the sellers terms is cash or PayPal -- the very method you've advised everyone else not to use -- for this very reason."

I did this just to see if they would take Paypal with the fees. The answer was no.
You are entitled to your opinion, and I to mine. But it sure seems strange that both names are posting on the AC Optimus V forum, just as "Rudeco" did. and the join dates and number of posts are the same. And I would bet that whoever bought the S3 did not buy it from this forum. Anyway, I have said my peace, and expressed my fears and opinion, so I will let it rest, and "let the buyer beware". If I have offended anyone, then I sincerely apologize, and I hope that I am shown to be wrong about my opinion. But that remains to be seen.

willistheyounger

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
But as I remember from the post from rudeco the sticky note in the pictures said tanner now im not sideing either way but we should all be aware of scammers on any fourms and use our best judgement. and corey there are ways to get around a trace for ip.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

RandyGOP#AC

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you that it appears I have been scammed by Boatman11 from a listing on here for a Galaxy S3. He claims to have sent me a phone after I paid paypal, but USPS never shows it having shipped. After originally saying he would be refunding me, he refuses to answer my emails and it's been two weeks. I plan on filing a police report today

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you that it appears I have been scammed by Boatman11 from a listing on here for a Galaxy S3. He claims to have sent me a phone after I paid paypal, but USPS never shows it having shipped. After originally saying he would be refunding me, he refuses to answer my emails and it's been two weeks. I plan on filing a police report today

Not to mention that if it is his other sale thread, he deleted everything from it and just put "Sold" on it. That way no one can go back to see exactly what he had listed and he would be free to list again on another site.

It all seems fishy to me. But guys like this make it a lot harder for honest people to buy, sell, and trade on these sites.

Mr. Streator, while I understand your stance, it does appear that Pappy made a pretty valid claim.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

Did you send the money by Paypal gift, or regular Paypal goods?

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
"I would definitely recommend this common sense advise & this is where AC stops unless a formal complaint is filed about a specific member, and that member does not respond in a satisfactory way. Unfortunately, we cannot do this until after a member has agreed to purchase the item and the seller has not fulfilled their end of the deal."

Okay, Cory, do your thing.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Sorry you got stuck on this deal, I had looked to buy from him but something didn't add up for me. He couldn't provide any reference, even on eBay. In my search to try and valid him I did find an ad from him on craigslist in Michigan. I can't recall the town but can see if I still have access to that info if you want it for reporting to the police. Let me know.

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
As I said in that last scam, unless your willing to travel to the jurisdiction where you sent the money to file a report AND show up for court you need to go to www.ic3.gov. Everyone that has had any interaction with him should do it. No matter what online name was used.

There are millions of internet fraud crimes happening everyday, the squeaky wheel gets the grease......

And maybe Corey isn't the right person to mod this forum. You can tell by looking at their posts that something doesn't add up. Especially when there has been zero posts defending his name. Instead of applauding someone recognizing that something isn't right, he gets an attitude and posts a snippy reply. Pappy wasn't even a victim and was just looking out for the greater good. I can understand AC taking a hands off approach but defending the possible scammer is inexcusable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

RandyGOP#AC

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
After going through the email traffic from him I realize that he did tell me to send it as a personal payment, so like a sucker I did. The good news is that I used my AMEX to pay with paypal, so they just covered it for me, but I'd hate for others to get scammed as well. I'll make sure to go to ic3 and file a report.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Cut the mods slack on this matter. They tread a delicate ground of someone suing for defamation of character if they allow discussion to sway to far. All it takes then is the person defamed to deliver the goods and they have pretty solid ground. I'm no lawyer but have seen more frivolous abuse of our legal system.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Cut the mods slack on this matter. They tread a delicate ground of someone suing for defamation of character if they allow discussion to sway to far. All it takes then is the person defamed to deliver the goods and they have pretty solid ground. I'm no lawyer but have seen more frivolous abuse of our legal system.

Just because they could sue, doesn't mean they would get anywhere. Being accused of being a scammer in here doesn't cause anyone irreparable harm. All you have to do is send the crap someone paid for and quit being a sh**bag and you're in the clear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87