SW3 Alternative strap 'Holder'

Jenny Eldershaw

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I have been trying to find out when the 'Holder' which allows a metal strap to be attached in place of the rubber one will be available in the UK.
I have tried asking Sony till I'm blue in the face and they just put me off. Today I actually got a REAL, LIVE PERSON on their chat support and this was her reply,
"Anna: There is no confirmed release date for this product, I would advise to keep checking on Xperia™ Smartphones from Sony - Sony Smartphones to see when this is available"

This is just BONKERS!
I know I'm not alone in wanting to replace the rubber strap; I didn't know it would make me itch until I had worn it for a bit or I would have bought the metal one from the start.
Anyone have any info about this issue?

Steven Maltby

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I've been trying to find out the same about the steel strap and got a similar response from Sony when I emailed them. I did come across a couple of tweets from Sony uk and they were saying early May for the steel strap but no mention of the holder. Keeping my fingers crossed this is correct but will believe it when I see it lol.

Posted via the Android Central App

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Ugh, I cannot BELIEVE this isn't easily available to purchase!
I want to add my own straps so badly, I don't understand why I cannot buy this.

This is the first Sony product that I have bought in a LONG time, and I suspect it will be the last. I love the functionality, but this is a complete "f*** you", you cannot advertise an accessory that's complete vaporware in order to sell the base unit.

Not cool, Sony!

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Ugh, I cannot BELIEVE this isn't easily available to purchase!
I want to add my own straps so badly, I don't understand why I cannot buy this.

This is the first Sony product that I have bought in a LONG time, and I suspect it will be the last. I love the functionality, but this is a complete "f*** you", you cannot advertise an accessory that's complete vaporware in order to sell the base unit.

Not cool, Sony!
Still a beta product and 3d printed, but check THIS thread out.

Also, for those that REALLY want a metal SW3 holder, eBay does have them... Just be prepared for some seriously high prices!

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Amazing! Thank you, I'll definitely be ordering one this week, debating what colour I want. I'm also open to suggestions on watch straps! :)
Let us know how you like it once shapeways delivers!

Also, watch bands are kinda personal preference... Really depends on what you like and, of course, the color adapter you get :) . I'd just browse around eBay & Amazon for options.

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Let us know how you like it once shapeways delivers!

Also, watch bands are kinda personal preference... Really depends on what you like and, of course, the color adapter you get :) . I'd just browse around eBay & Amazon for options.

Will do! I'm actually going to confirm that the new sizing fits the watch properly before I order, but I'm definitely ordering one as soon as I know. I posted a couple of the straps I'm considering on the other forum post! I'm already considering other options, haha, but that's a starting point.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sony-smartwatch-3/587516-watchband-adapter-available.html

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't take the curiosity any longer and ordered one of these for myself.

I'll post up here once it arrives!

What colour did you order??

I'm considering playing it safe with black, but I'm having a hard time deciding. I'm considering polished white, but not sure I want it to stand out that much, considering the size, haha. I'd do the gray, but it looks a bit dull.

Any plans for straps? Colour? Material?

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
What colour did you order??

I'm considering playing it safe with black, but I'm having a hard time deciding. I'm considering polished white, but not sure I want it to stand out that much, considering the size, haha. I'd do the gray, but it looks a bit dull.

Any plans for straps? Colour? Material?

Same as you, I decided to play it safe and order the black. The official Sony band I have that came with the watch is white... And, I have to admit, it does stand out a bit (however that's not always a bad thing) :) .

c3747f0f7db6c4285abaee2d1002395d.jpg

Once the adapter arrives, I plan on using a black silicone strap on it at first... just to gauge the looks / strength of the adapter. I've order a few things from shapeways and noticed that some 3D prints are stronger / more durable than others... So, we'll see how this one goes.

If the adapter seems durable enough, I'll probably put a black stainless steel band on it. I usually prefer metal "links" watch bands anyway.

Just waiting on shapeways and the mail man now :) . I'll keep ya updated here.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Just received a notice from Shapeways that my order should be shipping out tomorrow, so hopefully no more delays!

Post up once I get some good news from the mailman!

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Looking forward to it!!

For the record, I'm really struggling to pick between white and black. If the grey somehow looked more metallic, I'd do that, but it just looks like a dirty grey. Perhaps yours will win me over! Do you have straps ready?

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
After some deliberation, I think I may end up going for the white. The designer mentioned that he'll be updating the design to be a little less bulky, and he'll be adding smaller band widths. I'll likely end up with the Polished White in 22mm, but I'm not certain.

I think I'll add a grey band to it, if I do.
Perhaps leather, like the Moto 360?
moto-360-stone.jpg

Or something like this grey-blue Nato strap?
The_Crew_With_Brushed_Hardware_63c54bc9-d0c8-46f0-9d07-249dda297a63_grande.jpg

Here's my really rough render, haha:
screener_20151015(10 26 24)edit1.png

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Looking forward to it!!

For the record, I'm really struggling to pick between white and black. If the grey somehow looked more metallic, I'd do that, but it just looks like a dirty grey. Perhaps yours will win me over! Do you have straps ready?
Sadly, I don't have any specific straps ordered yet. Perhaps I will take some off another watch just to test things out tho.

The tracking says it's still a few days away, so hopefully early next week :) .

MSFTisMIA

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
This is how mine looks after many moons of trolling for a holder kit...

Posted approved via Moto Maxx

Attachments

• 13093.jpg
    13093.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 13106.jpg
    13106.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 13094.jpg
    13094.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 34

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the delay here, I received my Sony SW3 adapter from shapeways here: https://www.shapeways.com/product/DPJ3JC5AF/sony-smartwatch-3-adapter

bb8ab98ceb4985c1179557d15ba3c833.jpg

1696e8e4ca2a9fe0d1bd6f8eb9605e59.jpg

aaa55ee0aafa4df8fde264daca9ae1ca.jpg

The adapter fits quite well, the SW3 itself is pretty snug and I was originally worried about breaking the 3D printed adapter, however it has held up so far. You will, of course, need to find a 24mm watch band to connect to this adapter. Thankfully, I also had a Sony SW2 laying around, which just do happens to have a 24mm band! See below:

1284d0a6efa8265e476d9f15a89344c6.jpg

cc73dcca66e551a11f956acc176dc2c5.jpg

Which leads me to my main issue with this adapter... It's just plain BIG! I don't fault the creator on this one, but I simply have very thin / small wrists and this adapter just looks gargantuan on my tiny wrist :( .

d9a0073f66d0e674dfa84b48f5329ab5.jpg

For those that aren't so "slender-wristed", this adapter may actually work well. There are some slight gaps between the adapter and the SW3, but they aren't too noticeable at a glance, at least.

For a first attempt, as I ordered this adapter back in October 2015, it's a great start and a hell of a value compared to what band options you can find elsewhere for this watch.

I have noticed that some bands have been showing on eBay if you are still looking for one... However, they aren't cheap! So be prepared for that!

Debbie Mignola

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Goodness that looks ginormous, even on a man's wrist. I have a tiny little wrist.

I don't like the style of the Sony Smartwatch 3 but it is the only one with stand-alone GPS, so I've decided on it.

If anyone comes across an adapter or band that works on a small wrist please keep us posted.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Goodness that looks ginormous, even on a man's wrist. I have a tiny little wrist.

I don't like the style of the Sony Smartwatch 3 but it is the only one with stand-alone GPS, so I've decided on it.

If anyone comes across an adapter or band that works on a small wrist please keep us posted.
I have pretty small wrists and have been looking... So, I'll let ya you know if i find anything. The stock band is OK IMO, just be sure to get the color you want when you purchase the watch as they are a bit expensive to buy just the band (around $40-$100 on eBay, depending on style).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1