Smartwatch 3 GPS woes

seanoj

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Have taken my Smartwatch 3 on three runs so far and am disappointed.

I do not know yet if the problem is the watch or software. I am using Google's my tracks app as I know of no other that currently takes advantage of the watches' GPS ability.

My short run of 30 minutes appeared to be good. Track plotted correctly. My two long runs of 8 and 10 miles were less successful.

The tracker seemed to quit after an hour on my 8 mile run. Then on the 10 mile run I got only about an hour as well. The tracks were all over the place (i can run on water?) and the data had me running 20 mph at one point.

Anyone know of another app that uses the onboard GPS? I would love to isolate the problem.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 38986.jpg
    38986.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 38988.jpg
    38988.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 75

evansgw

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
That looks really bad. The GPS for running is the only reason I'm considering this watch.

How long does the battery last with GPS and Bluetooth on?

seanoj

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I have been using the watch more and think I figured out some of the issues.

First, many GPS apps don't play nice with each other. If you try to use multiple GPS apps at the same time, such as RunKeeper and MyTracks you will have issues. Pick one and stick with it.

I have used the phone on a 3.5 hour run and it had a bunch of juice left. I am not sure I could get another hour out of it, but it seems possible. My phone (Nexus 5) seemed to want to run out of battery before the watch.

I am pleased with the watch and hope that asps like Nike+ and endomondo get updated to operate without the phone (like RunKeeper).

Posted via the Android Central App