So which of these two should I buy?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Should I buy the Xperia X or the Xperia X Performance? Both are at pretty good pricing now. Which is the better buy and why? I've owned the Xperia X before but not the performance. So the X is at $265 and performance at $375. Which would you go for and or which is the better buy at this point? I'm getting one of these two but unsure of which one. Any help or advice is much appreciated.

robotomo

May 22, 2017
Visit site
well from looking at the specs for both of these phones, they are both pretty much the same. BUT, the Xperia X performance is just a little bit faster than the Xperia X.
Xperia X - snapdragon 650
Xperia x performance - snapdragon 820

so the one you should go for is the Xperia X performance

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
well from looking at the specs for both of these phones, they are both pretty much the same. BUT, the Xperia X performance is just a little bit faster than the Xperia X.
Xperia X - snapdragon 650
Xperia x performance - snapdragon 820

so the one you should go for is the Xperia X performance
Do you think it's worth the $100 dollar price jump?

tahterevalli

Jun 6, 2017
Visit site
As far as I know Xperia X Performance has the resistivity against water unlike Xperia X, this is one important difference for me. Also these phones are very similar ,so it depends on how you are gonna use the phone.. I suggest Xperia X performance

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I found an X for a pretty good price much lower than what it typically sells for so I'm going to go ahead and order it. I can't pass this deal up. By the way what is the X running right now? Has it been updated to 7.1.1?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I found an X for a pretty good price much lower than what it typically sells for so I'm going to go ahead and order it. I can't pass this deal up. By the way what is the X running right now? Has it been updated to 7.1.1?

International single SIM F5121 is at 7.1.1 with the September security update.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Thank you. I lost out on that deal because I waited until the next morning. I am still kicking myself over it. Right now I have my brand new Nexus 6p 64g up for trade for either a Xperia X Performance or the X plus cash my way. Hopefully I'll get a bite. My Nexus 6p is brand new so I'm trying to find one in the same condition and that comes in the original box with all contents. I prefer the X Performance but I'll go for the X too. Not really too sure if many people out there ever bought many of these two models but I've owned the X before and I miss the 5 inch display on it. I hate to let my new Nexus 6p go as it was hard to find complete brand new but when you get your mind on one it's hard to let go. I'd rather get my hands on the X Performance just because I've not owned it before but I know all my cases will fit it from when I had my X. The one I missed out on was new in box for only $178. I just figured no one would buy it over night and I'd buy it the next morning but when I went to purchase it, she was gone. It was the white model just like I wanted too. Hopefully I'll locate the X Performance since it's on par with my Nexus 6p in terms of processor and overall performance. If not I'll just keep my beloved 6p as it's one of my all time favorite phones. The X Performance and regular X were both so over priced when they first released it was crazy. Now they both are much better in line in terms of pricing. Anyone out there have the X Performance? How fast is it. Any lag on that one at all? Is the screen resolution the same with both models? I know the X runs a 650 and I think the performance runs a 820? Anyways check my post out on the market place if you have one of these two models in the original box and it's in like new condition as mine is. Mine is only 5 days old so it's still new. Would be a good trade for someone. My 6p is running 8.0 Oreo already with a security update as recent as to of yesterday. If I can't find a trade for one of these two models where is the best place to buy them at? Amazon? Also or lastly haven't both of these models been discontinued? How much longer will Sony support updates to these two devices. Like my 6p has a whole nother year left. I'm skeptical of letting my 6p go for one but I miss my X so I really want to locate a performance if all possible and do a even trade. If it's an X cash would have to come my way and I'd rather just keep it an even trade. Best buy used to sell these but I don't see them anymore on their site. What happened to this line? Why didn't they do well? I love a 5 inch phone. It's the perfect size for a phone in general to me. Other than the processor, what else are the differences between the two models? Thanks for any info on this.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
@Dconn1975 Single Sim Xperia X F5121 might start getting a bit more scarce or expensive as Sailfish X hopefuls snap them up. I'm going to Europe in less than 2 weeks and may download the ROM while there instead of waiting for the US/CA release... I'm on the fence about this. It would ensure I can get the ROM, but I'd have to pay the dreaded VAT.

FWIW, F5121 is still up to date with the October security update hitting it on October 4. I have the international version (yay fingerprint reader!). I got mine on Amazon. The price is higher than what I paid in July ($290). B&H Photo has the US unlocked X, in white, for $230. Looks like they are blowing out the stock. It's the last color left and who knows how much longer they will have it in stock... If you've not used B&H before they are top notch for service and support and they give you a 1 year warranty. I've used them many times and swear by them. Only reason I didn't get my X through them was I wanted the international to have the best shot at porting Sailfish X.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
@Dconn1975 Single Sim Xperia X F5121 might start getting a bit more scarce or expensive as Sailfish X hopefuls snap them up. I'm going to Europe in less than 2 weeks and may download the ROM while there instead of waiting for the US/CA release... I'm on the fence about this. It would ensure I can get the ROM, but I'd have to pay the dreaded VAT.

FWIW, F5121 is still up to date with the October security update hitting it on October 4. I have the international version (yay fingerprint reader!). I got mine on Amazon. The price is higher than what I paid in July ($290). B&H Photo has the US unlocked X, in white, for $230. Looks like they are blowing out the stock. It's the last color left and who knows how much longer they will have it in stock... If you've not used B&H before they are top notch for service and support and they give you a 1 year warranty. I've used them many times and swear by them. Only reason I didn't get my X through them was I wanted the international to have the best shot at porting Sailfish X.
Do you think I should go with the X model and also get the international version?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The International X would only win out over the North American if you need/want fingerprint reader.

I don't find the SD 650 to have any lag in my daily use. YMMV.

Between the X and the X performance, go with the latter if the IP68 protection is what you crave.

Really only you can decide that last one.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
The International X would only win out over the North American if you need/want fingerprint reader.

I don't find the SD 650 to have any lag in my daily use. YMMV.

Between the X and the X performance, go with the latter if the IP68 protection is what you crave.

Really only you can decide that last one.
I think I would just be fine with the Xperia X only as I really rather not spend the extra money difference on the performance due to it not being really all that much faster. I'd be fine with the X. Are you saying that I could buy the international version here in the US and be fine on coverage? I'd really like the fingerprint sensor to work. I just thought the international model was not compatible with the US market. Is that wrong or right?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So far as I can ascertain all models of the X have the same radio which includes LTE Bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/19/20/26/8/38/39/40/41 and H+ Bands including 4 which is AWS 1700/2100 MHz and T-Mo relies heavily on that.

They are world ready phones for GSM. Obviously they won't work on CDMA such as Verizon or Sprint. Not had any problems with mine on Cricket which uses AT&T towers. I had the international dual SIM and then moved to the single SIM international as that was the one needed for Sailfish. Neither had a problem in the US.

I am traveling to Portugal soon and I'm happy to see my Xperia X will get LTE there. My wife's AT&T Note 4 will only get H+.

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
And this! Sony good at updating
0b2bf154780cba2f9e7135a35790610a.jpg

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
So far as I can ascertain all models of the X have the same radio which includes LTE Bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/19/20/26/8/38/39/40/41 and H+ Bands including 4 which is AWS 1700/2100 MHz and T-Mo relies heavily on that.

They are world ready phones for GSM. Obviously they won't work on CDMA such as Verizon or Sprint. Not had any problems with mine on Cricket which uses AT&T towers. I had the international dual SIM and then moved to the single SIM international as that was the one needed for Sailfish. Neither had a problem in the US.

I am traveling to Portugal soon and I'm happy to see my Xperia X will get LTE there. My wife's AT&T Note 4 will only get H+.
So I ended up finding a killer deal on the Xperia X Performance. It still has almost a year left on warranty and is coming complete with original box and contents. I was able to get it for $220! I'm excited to see how it compares to the regular X model. Anyone had experience with both before? Also I read where I could flash the European firmware to my US model and that would in fact enable to the fingerprint sensor. I'd this correct and if so how would I go about doing that? I don't want to mess my new phone up but I really don't want to use a phone without a fingerprint sensor at all and especially if it's there just software related not enabled. But if I can software related flash it and enable the feature of course that's what I want to do. Anyone know about this? Lastly do you guys think I did pretty good on the overall price I paid for the X Performance? I had planned on getting the regular X but cane across this deal right before I was about to order the X. Thoughts??

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Congrats on your deal. Glad you found an X Performance at such a good price.

Oreo? Yup https://blogs.sonymobile.com/2017/08/31/xperia-android-8-0-oreo/
Wow!!! That is so awesome!!! I didn't expect that answer!! I'm super stoked. I liked Oreo. It is a good update and software. Even the icons have changed. Even now if we all wanted there is a apk file download of the pixel launcher if you guys want to use it. No root is needed. Just download the apk file then install then choose launcher 3 as your default launcher and it gives you the identical set up as all the pixel phones one and two. Notification dots. Pill shaped Google search bar and Google now assistant works just like the pixel does. Requires 7.1.1 and up. You can find it on the XDA site if you Google pixel Oreo luancher. Does anyone know the rough date of the Oreo release on our models. That article didn't say.

Yeah I think I did pretty good at $215 on my X Performance. It still has factory warranty left until 05/18. I had planned on buying a brand new X from B&H on sale for $229.99 but when I saw the step up for only $215 on swappa and it came with original box and all contents being like new in box I thought that might be the better deal as I typically don't buy used phones but this one caught my attention at the price. I mean this was Sonys flagship of 2016. I couldn't pass it up. I certainly hope it's indeed like new in box bc I'm very particular about my phones. I've got a skin kit already on order and plus I've already got about 6 cases from back when I owned the regular X which will fit the X Performance too. I've also got this cool sleeve on order since I've gotten to where I don't use cases. I've heard guys talk about this sleeve as being the best one out there. The leather is soft and supple. It's made by FitBag and heres a picture of it. It comes in 16 colors. I ordered beat red. Beat orange beat blue and beat yellow all looked good too.

82826ed1da134d745c741cec8546432c.jpg
a3cbb2863b3ecd00f762514a86ee99bf.jpg

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
By the way I'll probably start posting over here even though I will have the X Performance if that's okay with you guys. There is zero action or talk on the X Performance forum what so ever. Here you guys actually interact. I guess not that many X Performance sold so there aren't many guys that have it. Have any of you ever used it before? Just wondered if I'll be able to tell a difference between the X and X Performance?