1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Touch screen coating

I am looking to get a Sony Z ultra but I am worried about the coating. I have seen reviews about the coating rubbing off in as little as the first month or two in places of consistent scrolling or rubbing. Is the outer plastic shatter proofing easily scratched?

I am about a week or 2 away from getting a new device and would really like some feed back about these concerns from an owner. I hate Samsung and Touchwiz or I would just get the Note 3.

Default Re: Touch screen coating

If you are comfortable with rooting your device, then get the Note 3, root it, and put a stock-based ROM on it such as Cyanogenmod (CM) or something similar. Of course you'll probably loose a lot of the S-pen and camera functions, but there is that option.

As far as the screen coating on the Sony, I can't help you. I haven't heard of such problems but I haven't looked into it either.
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I dislike Samsung's business ethics so none of my money or time will goto them but thanks for the input.

No problem... I just saw you had said
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I hate Samsung and Touchwiz or I would just get the Note 3.
    If it was TouchWiz only that was your issue then a AOSP rom would eliminate TouchWiz altogether -- at the cost of all the S-pen features (and camera software too, I believe). but as you said, you don't want to give your money to Sammy... which I get.

Side note, did you find any more info on the Sony screen coating? I don't think ANY screen coating is 100% permanent, and I'm sure would wear out or wear away over time...
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile

If it is the same clear plastic on other Xperia "Z" class devices, They call it a shatter-proofing film. Yes it is prone to scratching, but you can both remove it or apply a screen shield on top of it.(It was designed for that purpose.)

Don't let that stop you from getting an Xperia device. They are thoroughly well built and the UI mods are light, practical and unobtrusive.
    "All information is imperfect. We have to treat it with humility."
    - The Ascent of man.
    J. Bronowsky.