No AC3 support? so no sound for HD videos

Corvus9

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
The specs of this phone lists it as having AC3 support, but it doesn't.
I'm not very technical minded so I had to take advice from someone who is. Basically every time I uploaded a HD video to my phone it had no sound, and yet all the SD videos played fine with sound. So after enquiring about the problem it seems that our beloved Xperia Z cannot play AC3 sound which I am informed is the fairly standard surround sound format for most HD videos. This is ridiculous surely, a top end smartphone that lists AC3 support in its specs but doesn't actually support it meaning nearly all of my HD videos have no sound when played on my phone.
Has no one else noticed this, I'm pretty peed off about it actually. I love the phone but come on Sony!

Corvus9

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I have MXplayer thanks, and yes you can swap the H/W decoder to S/W decoder so that the sound will play, but I would like to be using the movie player inbuilt into the phone as I should be able to. Besides, doesn't using a separate app to view video bypass any hardware acceleration from the Bravia 2 engine.

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
It does, yes, but using the hardware acceleration form the bravia chip also uses battery power. And what's the alternative? A movie with no sound? No thanks!

Seth Cohen

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S5. It is pretty crappy that there is still not hardware AC3 support. I actually don't mind the software decoder with MX Player most of the time, but my issue was that I wanted to use a different video player (VR Cinema) which does not support software decoding AFAIK. So I wanted to post the solution that worked for me:

Convert the AC3 audio into mpeg4 AAC audio that the phone will decode natively. I did it by demuxing the audio from the video with tsMuxer GUI, then encoding the AC3 audio to AAC with eac3to+Nero AAC encoder, and then remuxing with tsMuxer. A bit of a hassle, yes, but now I get hardware audio decoding.

If you are not tech savvy, there may be a bit of a learning curve. I used these programs as they are what I am more familiar with; though I'm sure with some googling you could find a simpler all in one solution. Handbreak might be a good place to start.

Lorenzo Kimble

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
I have MX Player now and video play works fine on my phone. The only issue is streaming to my smart tv that is a Samsung as well and before the update I was able.

AMit004

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
MX player also removed support for AC3 format.
Now you can fix this problem by installing custom codec
or install older version of MX player
Source - techdisko.com/ac3-format-not-supported-error-mx-player-fixed.html

njv

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Try downloading the free Archos Video Player from Playstore. I have a Sony Z2, the MX Player could not solve my issues with AC3 audio playback but Achos did.

abu naser

May 7, 2015
Visit site
The specs of this phone lists it as having AC3 support, but it doesn't.
I'm not very technical minded so I had to take advice from someone who is. Basically every time I uploaded a HD video to my phone it had no sound, and yet all the SD videos played fine with sound. So after enquiring about the problem it seems that our beloved Xperia Z cannot play AC3 sound which I am informed is the fairly standard surround sound format for most HD videos. This is ridiculous surely, a top end smartphone that lists AC3 support in its specs but doesn't actually support it meaning nearly all of my HD videos have no sound when played on my phone.
Has no one else noticed this, I'm pretty peed off about it actually. I love the phone but come on Sony!

Love Bhullar

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S5. It is pretty crappy that there is still not hardware AC3 support. I actually don't mind the software decoder with MX Player most of the time, but my issue was that I wanted to use a different video player (VR Cinema) which does not support software decoding AFAIK. So I wanted to post the solution that worked for me:

Convert the AC3 audio into mpeg4 AAC audio that the phone will decode natively. I did it by demuxing the audio from the video with tsMuxer GUI, then encoding the AC3 audio to AAC with eac3to+Nero AAC encoder, and then remuxing with tsMuxer. A bit of a hassle, yes, but now I get hardware audio decoding.

If you are not tech savvy, there may be a bit of a learning curve. I used these programs as they are what I am more familiar with; though I'm sure with some googling you could find a simpler all in one solution. Handbreak might be a good place to start.