Working 64GB Memory Card Guide

gregory_opera

May 6, 2012
Visit site
There are three parts to this thread - my experience with a 64GB microSDXC memory card, some important notes and the first post in what I hope will be an ongoing guide to the 64GB+ microSDXC memory cards that have been confirmed (or not!) to work with the Xperia Z...

My Experience
Okay, despite Sony Mobile claiming that the largest memory card supported by the Xperia Z is a 32GB microSD, a lot of people in a lot of places online are claiming otherwise... So I held my breath and decided to try it out for myself.
With a fresh (just bought) 64GB microSDXC memory card, I pulled it out of the packet and inserted it into my fully powered-up Xperia Z, at which point there was an error message in the status area (at the very top of the screen) stating that the memory card was either blank, or used an un-supported file system (I should have taken a screen-shot, but I didn't think of it at the time).
Leaving the error message in the status area (i.e. I did not "swipe" it away or click it), I first I tried to mount and format the memory card via settings, however my Xperia Z simply refused to mount the memory card or format it via this method... But when I clicked the error message at the top of the screen, I was immediately asked if I wanted to format the memory card, which I preceded to do.
Of course the very first thing I did after this was check the "Storage" menu (Settings-->Storage-->SD Card)... And sure enough, I now have a fully functioning, 64GB microSDXC memory card!

Some important notes!
* I should point-out that some people say they've had problems with SanDisk memory cards because they are significantly thinner than those from most other manufacturers - one theory that has been put forth is that perhaps the thickness of the memory card is causing it to loose contact with the pins inside the Xperia Z (which if you ask me, makes a lot of sense)? In saying this however, there are others that claim they?ve had no problems with SanDisk memory cards.
* Also be aware that most stores (online and offline) won't refund or exchange memory cards simply because they don't work in your chosen device - this is especially true when your device manufacturer has clearly indicated that such a card is not compatible (as is the case with Sony Mobile)... You should be right, but you will be purchasing a microSDXC memory card at your own risk.
* In theory, microSDXC cards larger than 64GB should work... However I have not seen anyone claiming to have tested this - most likely because microSDXC memory cards larger than 64GB are expensive and the price goes up enormously with each capacity/size increment (it's a lot of money to spend if it doesn't work...) - but on paper it should work (and hey - if you're happy to spend huge amounts of money testing this, be sure to let us know how you went!).

What Cards Work?
Now to the final part of this thread - what cards actually work?
Some people say this brand/model works, others say that brand/model works... So let's compile a list of memory cards that people have confirmed as working (or not)!

Remember to include...
* Capacity/Size (e.g. ?64GB?)
* Speed (e.g. ?Class 10?)
* Make/Model (e.g. ?Lexar?)
* Xperia Z Variant (?C6602? or ?C6603? ? found in Settings-->About phone-->Model number)
* Android Version (found in Settings-->About phone-->Android version)
* Any other information that may be relevant or helpful.

If all goes to plan, Xperia Z users looking to purchase a 64GB+ memory card will be able to turn to this list.

I am using?
* Capacity/Size: 64GB
* Speed: Class 10
* Make/Model: Lexar
* Xperia Z Variant: C6603
* Android Version: 4.1.2

Rene Quesada Sieza

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Found this quote on one memory card seller?s page at ebay:
"Class 10 SDXC memory card offers amazingly fast performance to capture your images or video. Not all devices support Micro SDXC,
*Do not format SDXC cards in SD/SDHC host products otherwise card will no longer be SDXC format."
How this format would diminish my card?s performance. Any advise....?:'(

gregory_opera

May 6, 2012
Visit site
At worst, you probably won't get SDXC read and write speeds because the SDXC memory card would effectively become a large-capacity SDHC memory card (even though it would technically exceed the maximum storage capacity of the SDHC standard)...

But the thing is, once you format the card in a SDXC-compatible device, everything should be back to normal and if you get really stuck, there are plenty of software solutions - many of them free - that will restore your card back to its factory condition.

Sent wirelessly from my Sony Xperia Z, using the "Android Central Forums" app...

tzes

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I just tried a sundisc micro sdxc 64GB class 10 card to my c6603 xperia z with android 4.3, I can see the space at storage at my phone settings I also manage to transfer songs about 22GB (not all together in one file but every music disc individually ) it works fine till I reboot the phone and everything is empty files nothing there and in settings the space is occupied!!!!!!! I will try in a few weeks a Samsung sdxc class 10 and come back with results.

Davorin Jurisic

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure, but I've read somwhere (on another forum) that android doesn't have any problems with micro sdxc standard. It has issues with it's file system. Most microsdxc card manufacturers preformat them with exFAT. Android does not support exFAT nor NTFS without rooting and installing one of those third party apps that enable that support. Here's the thing: you can format your Micro SDXC card using windows to fat32 using windows. The only problem is Windows' built in format option will refuse to format any nand flash based device larger than 32GB (this also includes usb flash drives) to fat32 file system. There are some free windows proggies that are capable of doing that. Untill yesterday I was using Samsung Galaxy SII (GT9100) with 64GB micro SDXC formated to fat32 without any problem. I just bought a new smartphone, the xperia z3, and it also uses that 64 GB card with fat32. I've made a mistake of updating it's android to 5.1.1 so I can't root for now (without flashing an old rom, preferably 5.0.2) it to enable ntfs support which is needed for files larger than 4000MB. This smartphone (and other smartphones that have 4k capable cameras) really need large file support. For now I'm stuck with 64GB card formatted to fat32.

PS: tzes, Samsung's MicroSDxc cards are probably factory formatted to fat32, because they always work with android devices out of the box.

gregory_opera

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much everything since um, "KitKat" maybe, has worked "out-of-the-box"... That is, you insert the storage card and as long as the mobile device (smartphone/phablet/tablet/whatever) supports Micro SDXC, it just "works".

If the storage card is formatted incorrectly, Android will tell you the card is corrupted and as you to format it (or you can do this yourself through the settings)...

In the last two years since my previous post, I've used probably a dozen different devices - from "budget" Kogan products right up to "premium" Sony devices - and they've all worked fine with Micro SDXC storage cards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000