T-Mobile Sony Xperia Z vs Blackberry Z10

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone with an Xperia Z, sway to me to choose this phone over the Z10? I am about to pull the trigger on getting one next week.

Posted via Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App

j_squared

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Just go check out the two phones for yourself. The best comparison is to check them out in the store and play around with them. What others may like, you may not and vice versa.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Just go check out the two phones for yourself. The best comparison is to check them out in the store and play around with them. What others may like, you may not and vice versa.

True I just wanted some opinions. I admire the Z10 and its accessory ecosystem.

LavallavaL

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
RIM is still playing catch-up on hardware, and certain benefits come with using Android. One of which is a bevy of different browsers, capacity to install Flash, even if it is no longer supported, and great overall choice of apps and widgets. The Sony Z, ZL and ZR Xperia line-up are fantastic devices. BBM should to be available on Android by September, and Exchange compatibility is good.

Why bother with a company which tried to castrate the user's choices to BB devices only ? Their arrogance towards users is legendary. Tablet without e-mail capacity unless you had the matching BB phone? Blackberry chargers, at one point, had this nasty DRM thing which bricked non BB phones hooked to BlackBerry mini USB chargers; I got one of my brand-new phones bricked by these ?*??!.

Yes I hold a grudge against Research in Motion, now known as Blackberry, but in the end, even if I do, it doesn't change anything. Android's the place to be at, and Sony's current wares are a fantastic value with regards to price/quality and also yield a fantastic user experience in regard to their UI customization.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
RIM is still playing catch-up on hardware, and certain benefits come with using Android. One of which is a bevy of different browsers, capacity to install Flash, even if it is no longer supported, and great overall choice of apps and widgets. The Sony Z, ZL and ZR Xperia line-up are fantastic devices. BBM should to be available on Android by September, and Exchange compatibility is good.

Why bother with a company which tried to castrate the user's choices to BB devices only ? Their arrogance towards users is legendary. Tablet without e-mail capacity unless you had the matching BB phone? Blackberry chargers, at one point, had this nasty DRM thing which bricked non BB phones hooked to BlackBerry mini USB chargers; I got one of my brand-new phones bricked by these ?*??!.

Yes I hold a grudge against Research in Motion, now known as Blackberry, but in the end, even if I do, it doesn't change anything. Android's the place to be at, and Sony's current wares are a fantastic value with regards to price/quality and also yield a fantastic user experience in regard to their UI customization.

Your first paragraph is moot because the Z10 does that too. Blackberry OS is the inky one outside of android that you can side load apps and other things. Flash is preinstalled on all BB10 devices.

LavallavaL

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Flash is preinstalled on all BB10 devices.

I believe Android devices also all had it pre-installed up to Ice Cream Sandwhich (could be wrong, though). But, at just about the same time as ICS was rolling out, Adobe announced it was to stop support for mobile devices altogether. Perhaps BB10 pre-dates Adobe's decision to stop supporting mobile platforms ? This could explain why you still find it pre-installed on new devices. Perhaps Adobe has a longer support contract for BBs, or something, but if it does, it won't last forever.

As it happens, Flash is now installed on my XperiaZL, but was not from the get-go because of the security implications. Nowadays, one has to side-load it, which i did. The fact that it was pre-loaded or not doesn't change the fact that Flash on mobile devices is only going to get harder to get, and strongly believe Android is the least likely to break Flash in further OS updates.

BB could very well remove support for flash altogether in an update of their OS, and if they did, options to circumvent that may be limited. It is conceivable that such a block could also arise from Google, but alternative OSes and mods for most Android phones are plentiful, so users can get out of just about any kind of unwanted behavior/update. I doubt a BB device affords its users such freedom of choice.

The last time I've used a BlackBerry device was 7 years ago, and I'm not looking back.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I believe Android devices also all had it pre-installed up to Ice Cream Sandwhich (could be wrong, though). But, at just about the same time as ICS was rolling out, Adobe announced it was to stop support for mobile devices altogether. Perhaps BB10 pre-dates Adobe's decision to stop supporting mobile platforms ? This could explain why you still find it pre-installed on new devices. Perhaps Adobe has a longer support contract for BBs, or something, but if it does, it won't last forever.

As it happens, Flash is now installed on my XperiaZL, but was not from the get-go because of the security implications. Nowadays, one has to side-load it, which i did. The fact that it was pre-loaded or not doesn't change the fact that Flash on mobile devices is only going to get harder to get, and strongly believe Android is the least likely to break Flash in further OS updates.

BB could very well remove support for flash altogether in an update of their OS, and if they did, options to circumvent that may be limited. It is conceivable that such a block could also arise from Google, but alternative OSes and mods for most Android phones are plentiful, so users can get out of just about any kind of unwanted behavior/update. I doubt a BB device affords its users such freedom of choice.

The last time I've used a BlackBerry device was 7 years ago, and I'm not looking back.

I can see why you don't like Blackberry. Their products after handling in store recently, specifically the Z10 are pretty good. I doubt Flash in the browser is going away soon.

LavallavaL

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Their products after handling in store recently, specifically the Z10 are pretty good

Perhaps, but the company's arrogance towards it's users and customers persists. The devices have nothing to do with my opinion of BB, what killed them is their arrogance and lack of regards for what I, the customer who lines their pockets, want and need. It's sad, really.... The Playbook, even it's first iteration actually seemed better than most Android tablets, but they chose to cripple it (no e-mail, no BBM unless connected to a BB phone), trying to use it against the very people supposed to pay for it.

I doubt Flash in the browser is going away

Actually, if WC3 and proponents of HTML5 have their way, Flash is bound to disappear from the web browser, whatever the platform. Adobe decided to stop supporting it for mobile devices, so it most likely will disappear as a browser plugin. I'm no coder and I'm no Dev either, and I don't know for sure, but all these apps for radio and media streaming that are popping-up all over, I'm willing to bet they all use some form of Flash, running on a JAVA VM or code base. If this is the case, it means Adobe stands to gain even more once these little apps become so ubiquitous that one can't get around them. This is, of course, a very uneducated hypothesis, but the reasoning suggests a potentially sound way for Adobe to keep it's software and revenue stream alive while reducing development costs even if WC3 has it's way.
Whatever the case, unless Adobe goes 180? and relaunches support for mobile devices, Android stands to be the platform on which it will be easiest to keep it alive for as long as possible.

On another note, here's a couple more reasons to choose an Xperia Z;

The very fragmentation of the software versions and hardware running Android guarantees the even if Google wanted to turn 180? and try to lock everything down, Android owners could still get away with keeping things as-is, the way they like it, with a few easy to find and well explained hacks or even with an alternate OS build, like Cyanogen. To top it off, the current Xperia Z, ZL, ZR phones are fantastic devices. Well built, powerful, and they have access to a library of apps unavailable to Black Berry devices.

The "Android Open Office" app is free. If connected to a monitor or TV, using a BlueTooth mouse and keyboard, I instantly have a full-blown, quad-core PC at my disposition to create and edit text, presentations and complex spreadsheets. No Internet required. I don't have to pay for an expensive software license. No need to use bandwidth hogging advertisement-laden cripple-ware cloud-based services, nor for a paid subscription to a complete cloud-based software solution. Heck I've even used it as-is on my phone to edit a spreadsheet. The process is more convoluted and less efficient than with a mouse and keyboard, but it bloody works, and on a 5" screen at that!.

Choosing Android is also about track record. Many top ranking RIM aka Blackberry managers still firmly believe it's corporate root market can hold them up in the consumer market, by default and habit. Disregard for the user is their typical attitude. They believe users "too dumb" to understand their own needs, thus all decisions are to be theirs, for they know better. They even thought they could get people to buy a crippled device like an E-mail-less and Messaging-less tablet to force us to buy their lame phones, just because of their name. The Z10 may not be redundant now, but the phones they had on offer when they pulled the first Playbook stunt were, yet, they arrogantly plowed ahead. Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie left, but a good many of their cronies and friends are still working for Blackberry. Proving they (BB) are capable of responding to my consumer and professional needs to the best of their ability while making their dime, instead of trying impose their "vision" of what my needs should be, is going to take a very, very long time.

Whenever arrogant managers think they are so on top of things, that they cannot be wrong, I'm quite willing to wait, and watch, while they start to drown in their own delusions. The grounds these types stand on always turns to quicksand, and that's simple poetic justice.. Sadly that often means the demise of iconic corporations and jobs, but I don't really care about them anymore than they do about me.

Last edited:

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps, but the company's arrogance towards it's users and customers persists. The devices have nothing to do with my opinion of BB, what killed them is their arrogance and lack of regards for what I, the customer who lines their pockets, want and need. It's sad, really.... The Playbook, even it's first iteration actually seemed better than most Android tablets, but they chose to cripple it (no e-mail, no BBM unless connected to a BB phone), trying to use it against the very people supposed to pay for it.

Actually, if WC3 and proponents of HTML5 have their way, Flash is bound to disappear from the web browser, whatever the platform. Adobe decided to stop supporting it for mobile devices, so it most likely will disappear as a browser plugin. I'm no coder and I'm no Dev either, and I don't know for sure, but all these apps for radio and media streaming that are popping-up all over, I'm willing to bet they all use some form of Flash, running on a JAVA VM or code base. If this is the case, it means Adobe stands to gain even more once these little apps become so ubiquitous that one can't get around them. This is, of course, a very uneducated hypothesis, but the reasoning suggests a potentially sound way for Adobe to keep it's software and revenue stream alive while reducing development costs even if WC3 has it's way.
Whatever the case, unless Adobe goes 180? and relaunches support for mobile devices, Android stands to be the platform on which it will be easiest to keep it alive for as long as possible.

On another note, here's a couple more reasons to choose an Xperia Z;

The very fragmentation of the software versions and hardware running Android guarantees the even if Google wanted to turn 180? and try to lock everything down, Android owners could still get away with keeping things as-is, the way they like it, with a few easy to find and well explained hacks or even with an alternate OS build, like Cyanogen. To top it off, the current Xperia Z, ZL, ZR phones are fantastic devices. Well built, powerful, and they have access to a library of apps unavailable to Black Berry devices.

The "Android Open Office" app is free. If connected to a monitor or TV, using a BlueTooth mouse and keyboard, I instantly have a full-blown, quad-core PC at my disposition to create and edit text, presentations and complex spreadsheets. No Internet required. I don't have to pay for an expensive software license. No need to use bandwidth hogging advertisement-laden cripple-ware cloud-based services, nor for a paid subscription to a complete cloud-based software solution. Heck I've even used it as-is on my phone to edit a spreadsheet. The process is more convoluted and less efficient than with a mouse and keyboard, but it bloody works, and on a 5" screen at that!.

Choosing Android is also about track record. Many top ranking RIM aka Blackberry managers still firmly believe it's corporate root market can hold them up in the consumer market, by default and habit. Disregard for the user is their typical attitude. They believe users "too dumb" to understand their own needs, thus all decisions are to be theirs, for they know better. They even thought they could get people to buy a crippled device like an E-mail-less and Messaging-less tablet to force us to buy their lame phones, just because of their name. The Z10 may not be redundant now, but the phones they had on offer when they pulled the first Playbook stunt were, yet, they arrogantly plowed ahead. Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie left, but a good many of their cronies and friends are still working for Blackberry. Proving they (BB) are capable of responding to my consumer and professional needs to the best of their ability while making their dime, instead of trying impose their "vision" of what my needs should be, is going to take a very, very long time.

Whenever arrogant managers think they are so on top of things, that they cannot be wrong, I'm quite willing to wait, and watch, while they start to drown in their own delusions. The grounds these types stand on always turns to quicksand, and that's simple poetic justice.. Sadly that often means the demise of iconic corporations and jobs, but I don't really care about them anymore than they do about me.

The problem is, that I don't root. The inner workings of BlackBerry do not concern me at all and I just want to buy a new phone for college.

LavallavaL

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Not all hacks require rooting. I haven't rooted mine, and no one is forced to root his/her device. But the fact that it can be done, well, it keeps certain doors open. If you feel the Z10 to be more to your liking, no one will judge you or your device. My opinion of BlackBerry is not about the devices, it's about management and the stunts they've pulled on their user base in the past. If you don't feel insecure and threatened by their past history and like the Z10, the choice is still your to make.

If you want to be positive about it, think of all the software you may, and probably will use, once you've established that, spend a day at a dealer to test it all out before you make your purchase. I use and consider my phone to be, primarily, a portable computer that happens to work as a phone. I know what my software requirements, and they are 90% of what guide my choice, with 10% being screen real estate and resolution. Some people use a phone mostly as a phone, and other as use them as a texting platform. But different uses may incur different needs, and you haven't made the list of your main requirements. Even in today's smartphone world, for some people, a good sturdy flip is still the best solution; The blind have more facility with a tactile dialer.

If you do very little web browsing, never use the GPS guiding system and spend 90% of your usage on texting, a Q10 might actually trump the Z10 and everything else, but you did not specify what type of a user you are. I therefore considered you as most likely to be a "typical" smartphone user. A little texting once in a while, reading Amazon deals E-mails, looking at the weather, reading morning news while having coffee, and perhaps consulting IMDB or Wikipedia occasionally when discussing something and you want to get your facts right ....

One can do just about everything on just about every phone out there, but when asked which to chose, I feel Android's large app eco-system and "hackability" gives it an edge. In my sig, there's a link to a list of favorite software, it may give you ideas... Perhaps if you try and make a list of your needs, and then try to "fill" each of these needs with software on both platforms, the choice will become more obvious to you. Yes, doing so implies spending a serious amount of time in a dealer's booth, but it will yield to "right choice" for you.

Have a good one.:cool:

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Not all hacks require rooting. I haven't rooted mine, and no one is forced to root his/her device. But the fact that it can be done, well, it keeps certain doors open. If you feel the Z10 to be more to your liking, no one will judge you or your device. My opinion of BlackBerry is not about the devices, it's about management and the stunts they've pulled on their user base in the past. If you don't feel insecure and threatened by their past history and like the Z10, the choice is still your to make.

If you want to be positive about it, think of all the software you may, and probably will use, once you've established that, spend a day at a dealer to test it all out before you make your purchase. I use and consider my phone to be, primarily, a portable computer that happens to work as a phone. I know what my software requirements, and they are 90% of what guide my choice, with 10% being screen real estate and resolution. Some people use a phone mostly as a phone, and other as use them as a texting platform. But different uses may incur different needs, and you haven't made the list of your main requirements. Even in today's smartphone world, for some people, a good sturdy flip is still the best solution; The blind have more facility with a tactile dialer.

If you do very little web browsing, never use the GPS guiding system and spend 90% of your usage on texting, a Q10 might actually trump the Z10 and everything else, but you did not specify what type of a user you are. I therefore considered you as most likely to be a "typical" smartphone user. A little texting once in a while, reading Amazon deals E-mails, looking at the weather, reading morning news while having coffee, and perhaps consulting IMDB or Wikipedia occasionally when discussing something and you want to get your facts right ....

One can do just about everything on just about every phone out there, but when asked which to chose, I feel Android's large app eco-system and "hackability" gives it an edge. In my sig, there's a link to a list of favorite software, it may give you ideas... Perhaps if you try and make a list of your needs, and then try to "fill" each of these needs with software on both platforms, the choice will become more obvious to you. Yes, doing so implies spending a serious amount of time in a dealer's booth, but it will yield to "right choice" for you.

Have a good one.:cool:

Thanks for the tips. I am now thinking of waiting for the any new phones to come into T-Mobile. If I'm spending a bunch of money I want the latest and greatest. Those two were looking pretty good to me but I think I will wait. My RAZR M is still doing just fine.

vk_awen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I own both, z10 only for work n checking email, xperia z for gaming, news, music, turns out bb only good for work chat (all my work coulege n customer use bbm) n email..

What i find good about bb is greater in battery life for data always on, meanwhile xz if i turn on the data (auto sync) the standby time not so good..

For water-resistant, its the best thing, since i can wash several time with tap water..

My z10 always oily n dirty..

Posted via Android Central App

Maximdroid

Banned
Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Have had both the Xperia Z and BlackBerry Z10. I returned the Z10 after a week because the hub is a mess, too much swiping, smaller screen, and Android ported app do not work 100%. This after using BB for a few years. The Xperia Z is my 1st android phone and it does everything I want it to. The screen size is perfect, email handling not so good but not a deciding factor because everything else was so much better than the Z10.