Enable USB charging. Help needed.

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi. My friend got an Xperia Z last night. The phone charges normally when connected to a charger, but refuses to charge if it is connected to a laptop. I tried charging other phones using the same usb charger, and it charges just fine. I then tried using other USB cables to charge this phone, but in vain. Is there a setting that could have disabled USB charging? Could someone please help me?
Edit: it is running Android 4.2.2

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Laptop USB ports put out much lower current than wall outlets, so charging a phone by plugging it into a laptop USB port can be pretty slow. You said you tried charging other phones with the Xperia's charger, and they worked fine--but did you try charging other phones by connecting them via USB to the same laptop?

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, B. Diddy :)
The phone does not charge at all when connected to a PC. No charging icon, no notification light. I tried charging an Xperia U using the same USB on the same PC USB slot, and it started charging. I read somewhere that if the notification bulb lights up and it does not charge, then it is just an issue of drivers not installed correctly. Although I cannot install drivers atm as the company policy prevents me from doing so (I am at work right now), what worries me is that the notification bulb does not light up either.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried charging your Xperia Z by plugging the USB cable into other computers, preferably desktops? I'm not sure, but I would guess that desktops are more likely to put out a higher charging current via USB than laptops. It may just be that the laptop doesn't put out enough current to meet the needs of your newer phone, while the older phone charges fine because it doesn't need as much power.

The fact that you can charge the phone from a wall outlet makes it unlikely that the charging circuitry in the phone or cable is faulty.

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh. When i said PC's, I meant desktops. Tried connecting it to multiple desktops. Won't charge. Is there a software switch? Probably went into some USB mode where it won't charge? And yes, where can we change USB connection mode in Android 4.2.2? I was thinking that maybe setting USB mode to "Mass storage only" might fix the problem, but didnt find that option in settings.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Searching the web, it seems that Sony used to make it difficult to charge via USB connection, but I think that stopped a while ago.

To change USB connection mode, when you connect the phone, swipe down the notification shade, and select the USB notification. That should give you the options. But it shouldn't matter--phones usually charge whether they're on Charge Only mode or any other connection mode.

I'm no expert, but I still suspect it has to do with the USB ports not providing enough current to charge your phone.

Hmm, found this thread (Xperia Z will not charge when device is OFF - Support forum) in the Sony support forums--some people have had problems charging the Xperia Z when it's off, but can charge it when it's on. Have you experienced that? The suggestion was to make sure the correct USB drivers are working correctly. This might be a problem for you at work, since I presume you can't install the drivers yourself.

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Right. That could be a problem. Will install the necessary drivers once I reach home. A forum post on Sony's official site said that I might also need to install Sony PC companion to ensure that the drivers are correctly installed. Will do that too.
Thanks a lot for your help. :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Good idea. Sony and Samsung tend to rely on a lot of proprietary software to keep your phone up to date, so the installing Sony PC Companion is probably important.

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Finally found where the USB mode settings are. Settings->Xperia->USB
Changed it to mass storage mode. Now the phone charges. Problem solved. Thank you for your help and patience :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad you solved the problem! It's kind of weird, though--what setting was it on that wasn't allowing you to charge in the first place?

Nabilah Jaffar

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Just go to DEVICE AND PRINTER on your computer,...
Right click on your phone icon,and click TROUBLESHOOTING,..
It's will find any error with your device,..
And click to APPLY FIX,..
And it's done,..

Your PC can detect your xperia Z back,..

Good Luck.:smileysmileywink:

raigeorge

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi Chaitanya,
Thanks a lot for the info.:)
I was having the same issue with Sony mobile. But it was getting charged when connected to some laptops. Your info helped me to solve the issue.
RAI GEORGE

tonesaul

Banned
Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
I have been pulling my hair out with wiggling my connection to keep the phone charging intermittently. My phone I bought last week is a Sony Xperia E1 budget phone. Couldn't believe it was that budget though. Your suggestion seems to have fixed the charging problem. I'm shocked and amazed. No wiggling. Hope it stays that way. Thanks a million and more.
Tony
Birmingham
England

Lorraine Bartlett

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Similar problem with an old sony phone, hence searching for answers. went to settings, usb developer options and unticked until the charger icon came on......looking good so far........

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member