Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By chaitanya91845
  • 1 Post By chaitanya91845
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Enable USB charging. Help needed.

Hi. My friend got an Xperia Z last night. The phone charges normally when connected to a charger, but refuses to charge if it is connected to a laptop. I tried charging other phones using the same usb charger, and it charges just fine. I then tried using other USB cables to charge this phone, but in vain. Is there a setting that could have disabled USB charging? Could someone please help me?
    Edit: it is running Android 4.2.2
    Last edited by chaitanya91845; 09-10-2013 at 11:55 PM.

Default Re: Enable USB charging. Help needed.

Welcome to Android Central! Laptop USB ports put out much lower current than wall outlets, so charging a phone by plugging it into a laptop USB port can be pretty slow. You said you tried charging other phones with the Xperia's charger, and they worked fine--but did you try charging other phones by connecting them via USB to the same laptop?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you, B. Diddy
    The phone does not charge at all when connected to a PC. No charging icon, no notification light. I tried charging an Xperia U using the same USB on the same PC USB slot, and it started charging. I read somewhere that if the notification bulb lights up and it does not charge, then it is just an issue of drivers not installed correctly. Although I cannot install drivers atm as the company policy prevents me from doing so (I am at work right now), what worries me is that the notification bulb does not light up either.

Have you tried charging your Xperia Z by plugging the USB cable into other computers, preferably desktops? I'm not sure, but I would guess that desktops are more likely to put out a higher charging current via USB than laptops. It may just be that the laptop doesn't put out enough current to meet the needs of your newer phone, while the older phone charges fine because it doesn't need as much power.

The fact that you can charge the phone from a wall outlet makes it unlikely that the charging circuitry in the phone or cable is faulty.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Oh. When i said PC's, I meant desktops. Tried connecting it to multiple desktops. Won't charge. Is there a software switch? Probably went into some USB mode where it won't charge? And yes, where can we change USB connection mode in Android 4.2.2? I was thinking that maybe setting USB mode to "Mass storage only" might fix the problem, but didnt find that option in settings.

Searching the web, it seems that Sony used to make it difficult to charge via USB connection, but I think that stopped a while ago.

To change USB connection mode, when you connect the phone, swipe down the notification shade, and select the USB notification. That should give you the options. But it shouldn't matter--phones usually charge whether they're on Charge Only mode or any other connection mode.

I'm no expert, but I still suspect it has to do with the USB ports not providing enough current to charge your phone.

Hmm, found this thread () in the Sony support forums--some people have had problems charging the Xperia Z when it's off, but can charge it when it's on. Have you experienced that? The suggestion was to make sure the correct USB drivers are working correctly. This might be a problem for you at work, since I presume you can't install the drivers yourself.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Right. That could be a problem. Will install the necessary drivers once I reach home. A forum post on Sony's official site said that I might also need to install Sony PC companion to ensure that the drivers are correctly installed. Will do that too.
    Thanks a lot for your help.
    B. Diddy likes this.

Good idea. Sony and Samsung tend to rely on a lot of proprietary software to keep your phone up to date, so the installing Sony PC Companion is probably important.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Finally found where the USB mode settings are. Settings->Xperia->USB
    Changed it to mass storage mode. Now the phone charges. Problem solved. Thank you for your help and patience
    B. Diddy likes this.

Glad you solved the problem! It's kind of weird, though--what setting was it on that wasn't allowing you to charge in the first place?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I dont have the phone right now. But it was the other setting in which it did not work. I guess it was some "Media" mode.

Perfect.
    Settings->Xperia->USB

Thumbs up Re: Enable USB charging. Help needed.

Awesome!!! Changing the USB Connectivity Setting did work. Thank you 'chaitanya91845'.

Just go to DEVICE AND PRINTER on your computer,...
    Right click on your phone icon,and click TROUBLESHOOTING,..
    It's will find any error with your device,..
    And click to APPLY FIX,..
    And it's done,..

Your PC can detect your xperia Z back,..

Good Luck.:smileysmileywink: