Any advice on how to get the best battery life while in use?

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I love this phone so much, but really hate the battery life while I'm using it. Stamina mode is great for conserving battery when not in use, but I'm still getting frustrated. Any advice, besides the obvious keeping extra radios off and keeping the screen dim?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i suffer no hardships doing this -

Battery Tips for Android

1. Toggle off LTE, WIFI, GPS, BT, NFC, Hotspot. Toggle on as needed.
2. Display Brightness - Turn off Auto Brightness and Reduce Setting Bar to Minimum.
3. Sign out of any unused Google Services - GTalk, G+, Google Now, Messenger, etc. Disable Location Reporting/History.
4. Beware of constantly syncing Apps and Bloatware like Facebook, Twitter, News, Google CURRENTS, Non-Push Email, etc. Set Sync interval for every 1 hour or more.
5. Turn off keyboard haptic feedback.
6. Don't use Live Wallpaper. Use dark wallpaper if possible.
7. Set Display Sleep Setting to 2 Minutes or Less.
8. Set WIFI to Always stay on during Sleep if you regularly use WIFI.
9. Turn off vibrate for Emails.
10. Be careful of using too many live widgets.
11. Sync Exchange Emails 30 Days or less.
12. Do NOT use a Task Killer App.

"I SUFFER NO HARDSHIPS DOING THIS"

this means that i personally am giving up NOTHING with these tips. i'm not giving up any features. there are no tradeoffs for me. a tradeoff or a hardship would be to turn off PUSH email or use AIRPLANE mode during the day etc.

you find your own balance and the tips list is a start but you must come to your own conclusion as to what's important. it's personal preference but these are not a big deal to me at all as they do not affect the function or operation of my phone. these tips do not deteriorate my experience.

malt1977

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Exactly what Gekko said! My Z is set up mostly the same and I can get 42 hours easily with fair usage and 72 hours being conservative.

Cale M

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
12. Do NOT use a Task Killer App.

Elaborate, please? I've noticed operating memory can fill with background apps and make life difficult for some features. Mainly, Netflix. If I don't start from a relatively clean slate, then it tends to transition into high-def slowly, drop audio periodically and sometimes even freeze. Closing out and clearing the memory seems to get it back on track.

Or is that an entirely different beast from your number 12 suggestion?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Elaborate, please? I've noticed operating memory can fill with background apps and make life difficult for some features. Mainly, Netflix. If I don't start from a relatively clean slate, then it tends to transition into high-def slowly, drop audio periodically and sometimes even freeze. Closing out and clearing the memory seems to get it back on track.

Or is that an entirely different beast from your number 12 suggestion?

Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I would add one ... sit it in a desk dock.

Also beware - rooting your phone will cause some apps not to work (e.g. SkyGo)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Cale M

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

There seems to be a lot of debate within the commentary section of the article. Still, I'll go back to running with native Android memory management and see how it goes. If Netflix still requires reboots to shake enough of the 2gb of memory free in order to run smoothly, then I'm going to call into question how smart 4.2.2 is when it comes to system efficiency.

Cale M

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
remember that unused RAM is wasted RAM.

I'll give you that. But remember, RAM being occupied by unused or dormant code is also wasted RAM. Expecting the OS to instinctively know which processes and services I'll be calling on today seems overly optimistic. That 14mb block being occupied by SiriusXM might be better used in an application I'm actually in the process of employing. I appreciate Android trying to save me the time required to reload it should I decide to go back in, but that may be a while.

Am I actually even eating all 2gig available? That seems unlikely. It's also a little tricky to determine since Netflix doesn't identify itself as a running app in the device settings. All I know is that SOMETHING is causing it to behave in ways that I don't see on other devices. Perhaps because, on those devices, applications are actually unloaded from memory when I'm finished abusing them.

TSRs aren't anything new. I just wonder how smart the management system is about which ones to kill off to avoid buggy performance in more memory intensive applications. Some people swear by third-party monitoring while others cite placebo effects. All I want is for my Alphas to stop crashing mid-episode. Gary's cute enough, I suppose. But being subjected to a frozen screen of him with his mouth hanging open while Dr. Rosen drones on in the background isn't the entertainment experience I was shooting for.

So I'll run native for a while again and see what happens. 596kb currently in the Netflix cache. I can spend some time clearing that manually and see if there's any change. I can also check out your INFOLIFE recomendation if I continue to have problems. Thanks for directing me towards it.