mhl audio using Xperia z
Can anybody help? I have recently purchased an mhl adapter for use with my Xperia z. I have connected it up to my Samsung tv (which is quite new) and it works fine. However, when connectivity my older Sony bravia tv in the bedroom, there is no sound. I cab get sound through the phones Jack, but not through the hdmi
All the information I can find on the web suggests that with an mhl adapter, you can get video and audio on any tv with hdmi input. Is this not the case. Do older tv's lack the comparability for sound thorough hdmi via mhl?
- 01-08-2014, 06:54 PM #2
Re: mhl audio using Xperia zo older tv's lack the comparability for sound thorough hdmi via mhl?
I run MHL to an old 32" Bravia (KDL32S5100) with a plain BestBuy MHL Adapter. I also use it on through my old Harman Kardon AVR3600, and cheapie (Old tech inside, with cheap display panel) 24" 720P Dynex TV I purchased 3 years ago for the bedroom.
One thing, though, if the sound of your file is encoded in DTS, you need a device capable of decoding it, like a AV receiver for home theaters, like the Harman Kardon unit I use. Typically, though, if the sound plays through your TV's headset port, it should play on the speakers. Regular sounds like music from your music player and video software should play on everything.
Do you get an audio output on speakers playing Youtube videos ? If you do, try using VLC for your other files., see what happens.
Edit: Just a few more questions.... Have you checked your software player's audio out options ? Have you tried multiple software to play the files ? What software did you use ?
Re: mhl audio using Xperia z
I'm not trying to play back specific files on specific software. My understanding us that mhl should mirror your phones display and sound, whether it be a game app, internet stream, video playback etc. When I hooked up to the Samsung tv, I ran a game and sound came through instantly. It's very frustrating so hopefully somebody will have the answer.
- 01-09-2014, 01:46 AM #4
Re: mhl audio using Xperia zmhl should mirror your phones display and sound
Typical sound transports possible:
- Decoded to a Stereo Analog output over HDMI (Stereo PCM). - Supported by just about any audio/video device out there.
- Digital, as is: Encoding remains unchanged, and is passed-through. - This requires the right decoder at the other end.
- Dolby Digital. Requires a decoder, a large proportion of modern digital devices support it, including many, but not all, plain TVs.
- DTS. Requires a decoder, typically, a home theater Audio/video receiver is required. Few TV are equipped with this decoder. Though now quite common, DTS only became really widespread with HD formats like HD DVD and BluRay. Because DVDs' standard audio was Dolby, practically all devices support it. Many low end devices and TVs still force you to rely on Dolby because DTS adds an extra license cost to it, an Dolby is already present anyway.
So, testing your sound using different files, and different players, you might find something that works. Check your player, or even your phone's sound options to see if, somewhere, you have an options to send the sound as an Analog PCM signal. I'm pretty your problem stems for the sound transport being digital. Perhaps, also your TV has an option to enable bitstream (Digital) decoding, so you should comb though it's options..
Re: mhl audio using Xperia z
Thank you for your advice, but I really feel this is over complicating things. At first I thought maybe the tv wasn't compatible with Audi through an mhl device, however, whilst playing around with it for the 50th time (I can't even remember exactly what I did) I suddenly got audio through the tv. I'm not even sure. The fiddling was the course of This or just a coincidence. I then unplugged the adapter and plugged it back in and still had audio. I thought I'd cracked it! Unfortunately, whenever I have connected it since, I'm back to square one, NO AUDIO!!! And I can't recreate whatever I did to make it work. Now I know the tv is capable, it's even more frustrating! HELP!!!
- 01-10-2014, 09:53 PM #6
- 01-11-2014, 05:29 PM #9
- By Ik Okafor in forum Android AppsReplies: 19Last Post: 04-19-2016, 03:04 PM
- By tashauphill1994 in forum Sony Xperia ZReplies: 2Last Post: 01-11-2014, 05:40 PM
- By spetho2001 in forum Google Nexus 5Replies: 4Last Post: 01-09-2014, 10:10 PM
- By spetho2001 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 MiniReplies: 1Last Post: 01-08-2014, 03:33 PM
- By bluegrizzlies1 in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3Replies: 0Last Post: 01-08-2014, 07:11 AM