serious battery issue after latest android update!!!

themkman

May 26, 2014
Visit site
hello I have a sony xperia z, the phone has been great until yesterday, I was promted to install the latest android update from my phone, I downloaded and installed the latest software update to kit kat 4.4.2, since i have done the update my battery is getting drained at a insane rate, ok my battery used to last 2 days between charges, now it lasts 20 mins, i give it a full charge and the its at 100% i can unplug the charger and watch the battery drain by the second from 100% to 1% then off with in 20 mins and that with it idle and the screen off, i looked at the battery usage and its saying that google play services is using 89% of my battery, what is that all about?? also something that was also bothering me since the update is the fact that my phone is getting extremely hot, and i mean so hot that its uncomfortable to have in my pocket and that's with it in a leather case, it seems to be the screen side that is generating all the heat,

anyway, i have spoken to three mobile as the phone is still under warranty but they said that they do not cover software issues and the issue is that i have updated my phone to 4.4.2 when the most that my phone can accept is jelly bean, so they are unwilling to help and say that i will need to contact sony and get them to do diagnostics on my phone at a cost to me!!

so can anyone give me any ideas as to what could be causing this and any idea how to save me a few quid and fix it myself???

any help will be massively appreciated

leegreg81

May 12, 2013
Visit site
"the issue is that i have updated my phone to 4.4.2 when the most that my phone can accept is jelly bean"

This is total BS.

1) Did you install a custom ROM or was it an official OTA update?

2) 4.4 is streamlined to work on devices with as little as 512MB RAM, which is something I know from my own experience as I was running a 4.4 CyanogenMod ROM on my 4 year old Motorola Defy which had an 800MHz CPU (over clocked to 1GHz) and 512MB RAM.

This type of nonsense really chaps my raspberry. You go into a store for advice / support thinking you're dealing with someone that's an expert only to come to the realisation that they have no clue what they're talking about.

How some people get jobs in these places I have no idea.

Posted via Android Central App

enver63

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I discovered that the fix is even simpler than that: If you leave your phone in the 'off' state, battery drain is minimal, and you do not have to charge any more! It is just slightly less functional than when my phone was "on" with Android 4.4.2. It is, however, a step back from how my phone worked before the "upgrade".