Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sniper1087
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HSPA+ connectivity for AT&T?

Hmm well since the US online store released it today, now the only question I have is will this "HSPA+ connectivity" work on AT&T's LTE or is it regular 3g?

I remember apple and at&t changed the signal bar on iphone 4s to 4g even though it wasn't even 4g.

Sorry this is all new to me, all I want is my beloved Z1. I just wanted to confirm this before buying it.

I guess I'll be buying a iphone 5s on contract, sell it and then buy the Z1

Default Re: HSPA+ connectivity for AT&T?

Here's the bands it supports from its spec page. This is what I checked to be sure I was all set for T-Mobile:

• Cellular and Wireless : UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz

Do you know what AT&T uses? If so, just compare it to that and see if you're all set too.

Oh, and if you get it I'd love to compare first impressions!
    Regard all phenomena as dreams...

well I have it and I live in Florida and have 1700 Band IV here so I do get LTE, but occasionally drops to H+ or E so basically is not as good as using a standard LTE Phone, but is pretty good, all other features are pretty good.
    Thetega likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Here's AT&T

850 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE 2G Decommissioning by 2017 [30]
    1900 MHz PCS GSM/GPRS/EDGE 2G Decommissioning by 2017 [30]
    850 MHz CLR 5 UMTS/HSPA+ 21Mbit/s 3G In service
    1900 MHz PCS 2 UMTS/HSPA+ 21Mbit/s 3G In service
    700 MHz Block B 17 LTE 4G In service
    1700/2100 MHz AWS 4 LTE

I currently have a xperia z c6603 from amazon and I have decent speeds at 6-8mbps in the san francisco bay area

Will I have the same speeds as the Z 6603 or will I only have the 3g?

After further reading I noticed the Z1 the Sony store is offering for sale is the 6902 and that definitely does NOT have LTE, just HSPA+. At first I thought I'd give it a try anyway, but on my iPhone 5s I ran some speedtests of t-mobile LTE vs HSPA+, and while the HSPA+ was ok at 15mbs download and about 8mbps up, the LTE was getting about 33mbps download and about 15 up. (Both of those are average of a few tests)

So, while I'd be willing to put up with a bit of a speed hit, getting my speed cut in half is just too much of a penalty. I'll see if I can wait for the official version through t-mobile that will have LTE. ::::sad::::
    Regard all phenomena as dreams...

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by btort1 View Post
    Hmm well since the US online store released it today, now the only question I have is will this "HSPA+ connectivity" work on AT&T's LTE or is it regular 3g?

I remember apple and at&t changed the signal bar on iphone 4s to 4g even though it wasn't even 4g.

Sorry this is all new to me, all I want is my beloved Z1. I just wanted to confirm this before buying it.

I guess I'll be buying a iphone 5s on contract, sell it and then buy the Z1
    To answer your question. No, the Sony US Z1 will not run on the LTE network for AT&T. It will run on the "4G" which is basically 3G. The Ultra will run on AT&T's LTE though. Or if you want, you can buy the ZL from Sony which will run fine on AT&T's LTE.
    Get rid of all the randomness in the world and you will have a world without hamsters.

Quote Originally Posted by betsuni View Post
    To answer your question. No, the Sony US Z1 will not run on the LTE network for AT&T. It will run on the "4G" which is basically 3G. The Ultra will run on AT&T's LTE though. Or if you want, you can buy the ZL from Sony which will run fine on AT&T's LTE.
    Well I beg to differ the Z1 is running on LTE on AT&T in FL, so there are some networks supporting it, and now for some Z1s they have different reading, which is very interesting 1 will show LTE and other 4G, but both are LTE, the standard reading for 3G on the Z1 is H+ and that is accross the board.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Very few locations use the 1700 band I think, I heard the c6906 version will be the best for AT&T LTE customers. the c6903 works fine on t mobiles LTE also