Worst QC I've ever seen on a device

wmonger

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I moved from Verizon to AT&T to save money by sharing a plan with my fianc? (who is under contract with AT&T). Sold my Verizon unlimited data account and my old phone, and was able to pretty much pay for a new Xperia Z1 (6902 model from Sony Store USA).

First phone was sold to me as "black" but in turn was the white model. The Sony store told me to hold onto it and swap for a black one when they arrived. About 1.5 weeks later I get the new black phone.

White phone: perfect screen, great build quality. Strange issue with calls- lots of static on my end, but those who I speak to hear me perfectly fine.

Black Phone #1: Great call quality, poor build quality. Port covers are not 100% flush with phone. Screen has 4 "hot" pixels. One pixel was right under the back key on the menu buttons, very annoying.

Go back to store, manager allows me to swap for another black phone.

Black Phone #2: Great call quality, great build quality. Get new screen protector for phone and when I peel off the temporary shipping protector Sony installs, notice there are 12 hot pixels and 1 stuck pixel (red). 1 hot pixel and the stuck pixel are in the menu key area of the screen. I am BEYOND irritated at this phone by now.

Go back to store, different manager doesn't see my pixel issue. I explain that I wouldn't come to the store and look like a fool if these things weren't there. He allows me to swap again for another unit, makes me check it in the store. Under the bright lights I was pretty sure the screen looked good. Take it home.

Black Phone #3: Great call quality, great build quality. Screen- perfect, 0 dead/stuck/hot pixels. This time however, there is an issue with the vibration motor. Unlike my first 3 Xperia Z1 phones, this motor buzzes more than it vibrates, and although vibration works, it does not feel as "haptic" as the other 3 does, and is audibly loud when using any of the menu keys or typing.

This phone should be returned as defective and sent back to Sony for QC issues, but I doubt the store would take a 4th return from me, and they already think I'm a nut job. I am making this post as a warning to those who import the phone. If you like to get a "perfect" phone for your $650+, I would highly suggest ordering this phone from a place with a VERY good return policy. While the phone has a beautiful design, and is overall very sold in the hand, these little QC issues drive me nuts- and I'm sure it would irritate most of the users on this forum too. If I did not return 3 phones, I would go back and return this, pay the 15% restocking fee, and pick up a Lumia 1520 tomorrow. I love the phone, and Sony's take on Android is even better than WP8, but the build problems are way too problematic for a flagship from a high end company like Sony.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Wow. Just wow. That's so different from the experience I had with the Sony Xperia Tablet Z. That was one hell of a solid, well built tablet. I can easily recommend it. It's disconcerting that there'd be such a disparity between models.

wmonger

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
The Z1 is incredibly solid and very well built. The issue is with QC letting stuff like motor issues and poor screens make it off of the line and into consumer's hands. I bet if they were manufactured in Japan vs. China these problems would be reduced or eliminated.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I wish people would stop taking their bad batches as an indication of QC for the entire brand. Do you know which phone has the highest QC rating almost every year? If you said iPhone you'd be right. But if you believe there aren't loads of people just like you who also have had terrible experiences with iPhones, you'd be wrong. Welcome to modern electronics, where every single manufacturer has their very own group of bad units.

I also suggest you research Nokia a little deeper, they've had plenty of defect issues of their own over the last 12 months or so.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I wish people would stop taking their bad batches as an indication of QC for the entire brand. Do you know which phone has the highest QC rating almost every year? If you said iPhone you'd be right. But if you believe there aren't loads of people just like you who also have had terrible experiences with iPhones, you'd be wrong. Welcome to modern electronics, where every single manufacturer has their very own group of bad units.

I also suggest you research Nokia a little deeper, they've had plenty of defect issues of their own over the last 12 months or so.

Cut him/her some slack. When its your money it tends to bring new meaning to the situation. So, while you're absolutely dead-on right I can definitely empathize with his/her sentiment.

G2

wmonger

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
The first white phone was purchased 10/26 in NY,the first black was shipped from a store in MA. The 3rd and 4th were from a new batch purchased 11/15. I know there are bad batches, but these 4 came from 3 different places/times.

wmonger

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
And I'm not saying Nokia is perfect, but the phones are significantly cheaper and would be easier to return at At&T if I had an issue.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what to tell you in that case. I've never seen anything mentioned on XDA about those issues, and that's the first place I'd expect to hear about it because those people nit pick like old hens over the tiniest little things.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1

wmonger

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't asking anyone for help, just telling my story so those thinking of importing it (maybe without a warranty, like an ebay purchase) are aware of potential issues.

The phone is an amazing device, if I didn't love what Sony did I would have given up and just returned it.

I am let down by their quality control. I've been a huge supporter of Sony products since the early 90s and have never had a problem like this before.

Not sure what to tell you in that case. I've never seen anything mentioned on XDA about those issues, and that's the first place I'd expect to hear about it because those people nit pick like old hens over the tiniest little things.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I understand, I was burned quite a bit by Samsung and felt the same way. Unfortunately, I've had issues with pretty much every consumer electronics company there is now so I've come to realize the meaning behind the term electronics lottery

wmonger

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
So I was in San Diego for business last week and was still using Z1 #4 (weird vibration motor) when suddenly nobody could hear me on calls. On speakerphone I sounded fine, but on regular talk mode I sounded like I was under water- I had to SCREAM into the mic and hold it up to my mouth (.5 inch away). The mic picked me up perfectly fine in the diagnostics but not in calls. I did a factory reset and still had the problem.

I was lucky enough to find some good people at the Fashion Valley Sony Store who were able to pull my receipts from NY and exchange the phone for another one.

Z1 #5- perfect in every way except for 2 stuck pixels. I can live with them since they're not in the software-menu buttons and they're only visible in certain colors on full brightness. I still love this phone and would not trade it for anything else on the market right now, just very disappointed with Sony's QC. I am hoping that my 5th Xperia Z1 does not have anything strange pop up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12