Ordered new Xperia Z1S through T-Mobile

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Raining here as well. What, did Sony orchestrate the weather for the Z1s release?!?!? ;-)

I'm working from home today so as soon as mine gets here I'll be charging it up and getting to know it.

bro1999

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
So I currently have the Z, and am not eligible to "Jump!" until April 20th. However, I decided to see how much it would cost to upgrade to the Z1s on the website, and it says I can upgrade for $0 down?? I went to the last step before confirming the order, and it just listed me having to pay $10 for a sim card, and the sales tax.

If I actually did go through with the Z1s purchase, what would happen to my Z monthly payment? Assuming I stayed enrolled in jump, would I just pay for the Z another 3 months, then simply turn it in on April 20th, thus wiping the balance owed on it? I spoke with a T-mobile rep, and they said I would be able to turn in the old Z on April 20th, even if I upgraded to the Z1s today. Also said I didn't actually need to upgrade to a new phone at the time of turning in the Z via the Jump program. But I've read on the official T-mobile support forum that a new phone purchase IS required upon turning in the old phone via Jump. I'm confused.

duoFurious

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm really wanting to do this online to qualify for the ps4 $100 bundle but I won't because I'm porting from att and doing the whole pay my etf thing and don't want the phone number port to screw up and lose my phone number for the last 15 years. But I am very excited to get another Sony phone.

Posted via Android Central App

IanMcB

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
So I currently have the Z, and am not eligible to "Jump!" until April 20th. However, I decided to see how much it would cost to upgrade to the Z1s on the website, and it says I can upgrade for $0 down?? I went to the last step before confirming the order, and it just listed me having to pay $10 for a sim card, and the sales tax.

If I actually did go through with the Z1s purchase, what would happen to my Z monthly payment? Assuming I stayed enrolled in jump, would I just pay for the Z another 3 months, then simply turn it in on April 20th, thus wiping the balance owed on it? I spoke with a T-mobile rep, and they said I would be able to turn in the old Z on April 20th, even if I upgraded to the Z1s today. Also said I didn't actually need to upgrade to a new phone at the time of turning in the Z via the Jump program. But I've read on the official T-mobile support forum that a new phone purchase IS required upon turning in the old phone via Jump. I'm confused.

I have an HTC One thru T-Mobile EIP (still owe around $360 on it) that doesn't have any kind of JUMP insurance. Just for kicks I tried to Upgrade my phone to the Z1s last night and it said I had to pay $31 down and $20 something per month, but was all the way to the point of asking me for payment. I didn't do it, but I was confused too. What would happen to the $$ I owe on the One? Would it get rolled into my payments?

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
bro1999, when I ordered the Z1s online it gave me the option to trade in my current phone and apply the value to what I owed on that phone still. I decided to sell myself so didn't do that, but they did provide the option if you want to use that instead. Since you're upgrading outside your standard JUMP timeline you will have to pay off the old phone's amount one way or another, either by selling the phone yourself and paying off at once, or just let it continue to get billed until paid off.

daddyd302

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a different credit card to try? Perhaps it's your bank that is having issues....

I don't know what it is, I just keep getting this "page error". Anyways, I had to call them and the CSR put in my order and I do believe I beat the deadline of 5pm EST. My order was put in with 12 minutes to spare for the deadline. Hopefully I get it tomorrow as I chose overnight.

EDIT: I got a late email, a little after 12 AM CST that it finally shipped. I lost all hope it would be shipped today, but it's already in the city, a few more hours and it should be out for delivery. :)

Last edited:

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Got mine today and first impressions:

OMG the screen is gorgeous. I can see the off angle fade reviewers mention but when viewed straight on it's the most vivid, clear and enjoyable screen I've ever seen on a cellphone.

Even better looking in person, a bit of a handful, feels very sturdy and dense without feeling too heavy.

Sound through headphones was excellent after I got done fiddling with the various sound settings.

Silky smooth and fast performance everywhere. I Like Sony's UI... It's a low key skin.

Very happy with camera so far...background defocus is a bit finicky but I'm liking my photos so far.

Overall first impression is a big thumbs up.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Some examples of quick photos I took:

7ara9a9e.jpg

7a7asuma.jpg

I think because my cat's color is so close to the cupboards behind him that it confused the defocus feature:

2e6esyga.jpg

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Mine sat in processing until 1 am this morning when tmobile decided to finally ship it. I'll be asking for a partial refund of the overnight shipping. (It sat for 14 hours before the label was even created) To top it off, an accessory I bought for it (with free 3-5 day shipping) shipped an hour after I ordered it and was delivered overnight, which is why I'm so mad.

For those that have it: is the frame plastic? I saw the z1 in a sony store with the aluminum, and I know the z1s isn't metal, but I haven't seen a single description of what the new material feels like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
The sides are plastic, but the phone is so thin and so dominated by it's giant glass slab front and backs that it's not really noticeable. There's no cheap feeling to it: It's a very elegant looking phone in a 2001 black monolith sort of way.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The sides are plastic, but the phone is so thin and so dominated by it's giant glass slab front and backs that it's not really noticeable. There's no cheap feeling to it: It's a very elegant looking phone in a 2001 black monolith sort of way.

Is it soft touch like the Z, or shiny?

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

Sides are not soft touch. And as stated above they do not bother me. The glass is so nice you do not notice the plastic.
Phone is very nice, great screen, angles do stink but don't think it will affect daily usage.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

The sides are hard, not soft-touch, BUT they are not shiny, they have a matte finish so they're very unobtrusive. At a quick glance they look metallic to me, and even when touching I don't notice any 'plasticky' feeling to them because they're so narrow.

techiecappydog

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I am up for a new phone with jump program...I love window 8 so I am still considering the z1. Just not sure yet being so tied into android.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The sides are hard, not soft-touch, BUT they are not shiny, they have a matte finish so they're very unobtrusive. At a quick glance they look metallic to me, and even when touching I don't notice any 'plasticky' feeling to them because they're so narrow.

Phone Arena posted some close ups and it looks fine. I'm wondering if they're the same material as the Z, just with a different finish. (The Z's wasn't plastic, but something else) The aluminum would have been nice, but this'll do just fine.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Finally got home and was able to unbox mine. First impressions: this is everything I want in a phone. Stunning design and build quality, and what I expect to be some great longevity/reliability since it's Sony. I anticipate sticking with the Z1s for a while.

Although the display does wash out at angles, it's still a very high quality panel, and definitely higher quality than what the Z offered. Same for overall build quality. After holding it in hand, I can't say I miss the aluminum of the international Z1.

Jaybotics

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey all, I REALLY want this phone, and I just got the Nexus 5. BUT, the only thing that is holding me back is the Sony Software, and T-Mobile bloatware that will come on the phone. How is the community with rooting and all that for Sony phones? I looked at the Z1, and it seemed very bare... I'm not really that needy about getting stock KitKat on there, but it's the Sony skin, and the T-Mobile apps that are really going to kill it for me...

How fluid is it? I absolutely hate lag, and the Nexus 5 is the first Android device that has me switched back to Android because it's so fast, and I don't notice any lag what so ever. Will it be possible to flash a custom rom WITH the sony skin and it's features without the T-Mobile junk in the future?? I really want this phone, it's beautiful, and the camera samples have been really good too..

Thanks everyone for the input.

daddyd302

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Took a few pictures of it. It's almost as big as my Note 3 but the screen is smaller. The phone feels good and much more sturdy then my Note 3. It is a lint magnetic though. I've had one freezing so far and it was on my lockscreen and I had to hold down the power button til it rebooted. It crashed a few times while viewing some of my pictures.

A few hiccups here and there but not bad at all considering I was very hesistant to buy this phone. I was worry about the volume, but it sounded fine to me. The screen is nice and bright but it looks bad at certain angles. Looks really washed up. Performance wise, is very smooth and fast. Looks like a keeper for me.

From left to right, Droid X, Photon 4G, Z1S, Note 3.
_1160018.JPG

Viewing angle is bad....
20140116_023540.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173