Lollipop Update -- No sound/vibration notification when messaging open?

Tee8

May 24, 2015
Visit site
HI folks,
I'm brand new to this forum and tried posting this in another thread, but thought it might be best to start a new one since the other one was a little older and not really specific to this problem. I will do my best to offer the correct information. Is anyone having this same problem -- no sound or vibration notification when SMS is open? Before updating to Lollipop, I used to receive sound and vibration notifications even if text conversations were open. Now, no longer -- and I'm missing important messages. This happened after updating to Lollipop on my Sony Xperia Z1. I have been in touch with Sony as well as my service provider. Neither has been helpful. Both seem to think that all the right settings for sound are applied on my phone. Unfortunately, although I have read that others are also experiencing the same problem on their android devices since upgrading I can't seem to align my settings and menus with what they are referencing in other forums because my phone is different. I even did a reset and repair on my phone, as advised by Sony, to no avail. (more hours of my life I will not get back...) Can anyone help me out? I'm hoping my 'fix' will be something small somewhere in settings, similar to what others have described.
Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I've read similar complaints about the Note 4 and the S5 after updating to Lollipop. I don't know for sure, but I think this is just the manufacturers falling in line with how it works on vanilla Android. On my Nexus 5, if I have my SMS messaging app (Hangouts) open to the specific conversation where I'm receiving incoming messages, those messages don't give me sound notifications (the rationale probably being that the conversation is displayed on the screen, so there is no need to give me an alert as well). If I move to a different conversation, then I get notifications for messages coming into the first conversation.

I think some 3rd party SMS apps will do what you're asking about--Textra might be one of them.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member