Exchanging Z1s: intermittent problem with screen registering long press

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I got my new Xperia Z1s on Tuesday but unfortunately it's going back today and they're sending me a new one. (Though took a bit to get t-mo to do that - see below)

I love the phone overall, but after using it for an hour or so I noticed occasionally I couldn't reposition icons or widgets, or add new items to the screen because it would either treat my long press as a quick tap or just ignore it. The problem was minor at first but over the course of the next day it got worse and worse and worse until it was happening almost all the time. Whenever that problem happened I also noticed the keyboard would get really wonky if I was using swipe style input: it would spit out a bunch of small words instead of the longer word I was going for. It was behaving as if i were repeatedly lifting my finger, which tells me it's the same problem in both cases: they screen was not registering my continued touch, but thinking I had lifted my finger when I hadn't.

I haven't heard anyone else complaining about this (and they would if it were happening to them, it makes the phone really hard to use), so I'm hopeful this is just a bad unit and my next one will work fine!

UPDATE: Someone on XDA responded they had the same issue, and noticed that it only happens when holding the phone, not when it's laying on a surface, and I confirmed mine's behaving the same way. I played around a bit more and the issue seems to happen when my fingers are touching the side of the phone while I hold it.

-------end of technical issue, customer service drama below----------

Called t-mobile, went through the usual obvious stuff, they referred me to Sony, went through the obvious stuff again, they then told me to download this utility and use that to repair the OS in case there were corrupted files. Unfortunately the Z1s is so new that when I got to the step of downloading it said "Oh we don't have software for this phone available." The Sony rep had said if that didn't work that we will have done everything we can and to just exchange my phone with T-Mobile.

No big deal, that sort of thing happens with new phone releases, so I called T-Mobile this morning and said I wanted to exchange for another one. After a bit of a delay the rep came back and said "You have to exchange with Sony, they're not one of the manufacturers we do exchanges for." T-Mobile sold me the phone, T-Mobile gets lots of money from me every month, so I didn't appreciate that response and (politely) told him I thought that was very bad corporate customer service. Bit more delay while he talked to his supervisors again and came back and basically said "Sorry that's the way it is". I then said I just want to return it, so then he said ok I need to transfer you to someone else for that.

After waiting on hold for about five minutes the same guy came back and apologized saying the other department's phones were all busy. He talked to someone one more time and this time she agreed to order me a new phone, and gave me a return address to send my current one to. They'll credit me the shipping costs, plus $10 for my troubles, and in the meantime my replacement should be here tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

If they hadn't done this it would have been a black mark on their customer service reputation with me, which up until now has been excellent, so I'm happy they did the right thing and kept that reputation intact!

Last edited:

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Update: Got my exchange today and so far it's working great, long presses are working every time. If anyone else starts experiencing that issue definitely exchange your Z1s!

Posted via Android Central App

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Good to see you got the issue resolved.

One question - what's the difference between the Xperia Z1 and Z1s? I thought the Z1s was the smaller 4.3" variant, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Good to see you got the issue resolved.

One question - what's the difference between the Xperia Z1 and Z1s? I thought the Z1s was the smaller 4.3" variant, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Whoops, just noticed your question. Given your other thread I assume you're all caught up on the Z1s now! :)

scmurphy13

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the same problems with my touch screen. Doesn't happen much, but when it does, it's annoying. Hardware issue or maybe software? I really don't want to go exchange it. Don't really have time.

Ukyo

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the same problems with my touch screen. Doesn't happen much, but when it does, it's annoying. Hardware issue or maybe software? I really don't want to go exchange it. Don't really have time.

Well you already know this but if it's a hardware issue, software won't really fix it so I suggest you take the time to exchange it while you can and while it's still a fresh issue with Tmo.

RKittman

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same exact problem. I've had my Xperia Z1S for six days. No one at the store or at tech support has been able to help me for the past five days. Finally today someone called me back from T-Mobile and told me they will exchange it at the store for me without the $50 restocking fee. The only problem I have is that they still deny that they have any reports of any similar problems from anyone else. Clearly with everything on this thread there are problems that they have been hearing about. I just wish they would be more forthcoming and admit they have a problem.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the list. My phone was working fine initially but just started developing this problem yesterday :-/

This will be my second Z1s I will be returning.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

scmurphy13

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
I really like the phone, but after a couple replacements with the same problems, I went with the Note 3. If they can fix the problem, I'll go back to it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mobile Nations mobile app

duoFurious

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Having trouble with long press and now typing is becoming difficult and just generally navigation around the phone. I like the phone so much but so many small issues are adding up. Talked to my store and swapping for G2 this evening. So sad. I really wanted this.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
With so many people now with this issue I'm pretty sure its software related. I find it hard to believe it's hardware related. With that said I might still just hold on to it. I sure hope some update will fix it. I just came from the g2 and I'm not really in the mood to go back to it. Definitely enjoying this phone a little better

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I thought I should ask this question, so the guys that originally had this problem and exchange their Z1s for a new one, would you say this solved your problem are there actually Z1s without this issue?

Ukyo

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I don't notice anything on mine. Long press and touch sensitivity feels normal. I do notice lag here and there when launching stuff...

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't notice anything on mine. Long press and touch sensitivity feels normal. I do notice lag here and there when launching stuff...

Thanks for the quick reply, is it possible you can download the app "touch test" from the Play Store and once it's open shut off your screen by pressing the power button then turn it back on, then long press on the screen while you moving around and see if it constantly registers your touch. I will greatly appreciated

Ukyo

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Mine looks to work fine. If I go really fast, there's a few mm lag but the line is continuous and the line eventually catches up when I slow down.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy to report I got my replacement phone this morning I've been like a madman trying to replicate the problem to no avail, touch screen works like a charm. Now only if we could root this baby.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy to report I got my replacement phone this morning I've been like a madman trying to replicate the problem to no avail, touch screen works like a charm. Now only if we could root this baby.

Stupid *** phone, after almost a week of flawless operation this long press issue has decided to show up on my new replacement phone.

I'm starting to think all Xperia phones are plagued with this issue.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Just curious........

I was reading the Sony manual I downloaded and it mentions a phone reset button that is located under the SIM cover / flap. Have you tried pressing that button? It is not a factory reset, it is designed to reset the phone in case it freezes / crashes.....not suppose to wipe your data.

Sorry for your frustrating experience. I've had my Z1s for close to a month now and not experienced this. I wonder if you have a misbehaving app?

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Just curious........

I was reading the Sony manual I downloaded and it mentions a phone reset button that is located under the SIM cover / flap. Have you tried pressing that button? It is not a factory reset, it is designed to reset the phone in case it freezes / crashes.....not suppose to wipe your data.

Sorry for your frustrating experience. I've had my Z1s for close to a month now and not experienced this. I wonder if you have a misbehaving app?

I'll give that a try. The only difference I did, I created a new home page with I sense delete. I'll see if that's the culprit.

I really do want to like this phone but unfortunately I think 3 strikes you're out and I'm going to return it and just wait it out a couple of months to see what the new flagship brings.