Xperia Z1s: No problem with the viewing angle...

surfaday

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I always wonder why reviewers have a problem with the viewing angle of the Z1s and its predecessors. I never look at my phone unless I'm spot on centered over it so I never notice. If my Samsung Galaxy S4 had a better viewing angle, it was lost on me, because once again, I only view the phone straight on.

Not only that, but with our privacy obsessed culture, you'd think narrow viewing angles would be an advantage.

What am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: No problem with the viewing angle...

The problem is that any other angle except straight on makes it difficult to view the screen. A lot of people don't hold their phone that way 100% of the time, and in the cases where they aren't, the Z1S screen is a weakness. A use case for me was if I wanted to check something while my phone was on a desk without picking it up, which I couldn't do because I couldn't actually read anything on the screen. Or, let's say I put the z1 to the right of me at the desk, and a notification came in. Just that difference in angle meant I couldn't actually see what the notification was.

The severity of the problem is also why the Z1 and Z were called out. If the screen just washed out a little, it wouldn't be a big deal. But we're talking full on, cannot see anything at all on the screen, washing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Another overly exaggerated issue. Yes, it fades a bit at certain angles, but still remains totally useable.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Another overly exaggerated issue. Yes, it fades a bit at certain angles, but still remains totally useable.

'A bit' is an understatement. Unless its a mostly dark screen, it washes completely out and is not usable in the slightest.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

tcrosby86

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Funny how I could read this entire thread with the z1s laying on my stomach, and my head barely propped up at all.

Yes it the screen gets washed.out, but it's still totally usable.

Posted via Android Central App

woolster22

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Funny how I could read this entire thread with the z1s laying on my stomach, and my head barely propped up at all.

Yes it the screen gets washed.out, but it's still totally usable.

Must be some gut you have going there...

I kid...

To me it isn't so bad, I tend to keep things dark (on screen) and haven't noticed much issue. Although the weather up here has been gloomy and in full light I could see this potentially being a problem.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Okris27

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
The viewing angle is being over exaggerated but it does wash out a little bit. I can still read what's on the screen at a bad viewing angle but I mostly am looking at the phone straight on when I use it so it doesn't bother me.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The viewing angle is being over exaggerated but it does wash out a little bit. I can still read what's on the screen at a bad viewing angle but I mostly am looking at the phone straight on when I use it so it doesn't bother me.

It's when you're not head on that it's a problem, and you don't always use your phone straight on. It wouldn't be as bad if sony's skin used a lot more dark colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20