Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Xperia Z1s: screen scratches

So to all out there I have been reading about the anti shatter film that if you take it off it voids the warranty. Well it does scratch pretty easy so are you supposed to live with a scratched phone or pull it off and say warranty what warranty lol. Just wondering I did see they make replacement but will that void the warranty still

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    4,373 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

Default Re: screen scratches

Quote Originally Posted by Lambertoid View Post
    So to all out there I have been reading about the anti shatter film that if you take it off it voids the warranty. Well it does scratch pretty easy so are you supposed to live with a scratched phone or pull it off and say warranty what warranty lol. Just wondering I did see they make replacement but will that void the warranty still

If it's still under warranty, than a replacement should be covered. Are you talking about a replacement from a third party source?

Also, put on a screen protector!

Sent from my One Xl using Tapatalk
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson

My One X has served its time...now it's the Note 4's turn

I'm also disappointed in the plastic film on top of. The phone. Does it do anything for the water proofing at all? And the coating that's on the plastic for finger prints. Can it be applied easily of the film is removed on the glass?

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Sorry but a screen protector on top of a screen protector just doesn't work lol...it's a bummer but no it just do the screen doesn't shatter...

Fatasaurus likes this.

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    ROM
    TouchWiz/ ParanoidAndroid

I think this is silly as well. I wish they would've just included a special set of screen protectors in the box with the phone. That way if something happens to it, say it gets scratched up, you can just replace the screen protector with another one.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

I put a screen protector on my phone. Otherwise, it did not dook like there was anything else on the screen.

You guys aren't talking about the removeable shipping protector that should be peeled off in the store are you?

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I had the tmobile crew put a screen protector on mine... Simply because they do a better job than me..

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1s on Tapatalk
    LuvMusic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by surfaday View Post
    You guys aren't talking about the removeable shipping protector that should be peeled off in the store are you?

No, Sony installs what they call a "shatter protector" over the screen which some people believe is a screen protector.....it is not. Reports are that this shatter shield scratches very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatti20 View Post
    I had the tmobile crew put a screen protector on mine... Simply because they do a better job than me..

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1s on Tapatalk
    I did the same thing and everything is working great (and no bubbles)!

I have a screen protector on my z1s and I have no problem with it. Using a Zagg protector

Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk

Guys I remove my anti shattered screen protector and I'm happy to report the Sony logo is not embedded into it and removing it greatly improves viewing angles and of course you could put your own screen protector once the original one is all scratched up.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Now what happens when you try and do the jump on tmobile what will they say

Now what happens when you try and do the jump on tmobile what will they say

If you talking about removing the film, I'm pretty sure they won't have a clue weather the film is on or off. Also if you're jumping in 6 months why do you care about the screen scratches anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by shook187 View Post
    Guys I remove my anti shattered screen protector and I'm happy to report the Sony logo is not embedded into it and removing it greatly improves viewing angles and of course you could put your own screen protector once the original one is all scratched up.

Just curious how did you remove it.Is the glass still flush with the phone? Is the phone still waterproof? Although I have no intention of removeing mine just thought I'd ask.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfercom View Post
    Just curious how did you remove it.Is the glass still flush with the phone? Is the phone still waterproof? Although I have no intention of removeing mine just thought I'd ask.

I removed it by using a razor blade and carefully lifting up the corner then pulled it right off. And yes the glass is still flash with the phone, and I don't see why it wouldn't be waterproof with the film remove.

I also had no intentions of removing into I developed an ugly gash on the center of the screen. I'm also sending this unit back because of the long press issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Good luck with the exchange because you voided your warranty by removing the factory installed shatter protector.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMusic View Post
    Good luck with the exchange because you voided your warranty by removing the factory installed shatter protector.
    :-/ its not a warranty, I'm within my exchange period, but OK... I also keep insurance on my phone so who actually uses sony for warranty?

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I have been thinking the same thing I'm sure tmobile won't notice or say anything about it.. That's the only downside to this phone but every thing else made it beet out all other devices if the nexus 5 had sd slot or a better camera I woulda gotten it if the gs woulda had an sd card slot I'd have gotten it... So this phone really only has one problem I can definitely deal with it

I removed it by using a razor blade and carefully lifting up the corner then pulled it right off. And yes the glass is still flash with the phone, and I don't see why it wouldn't be waterproof with the film remove.

I also had no intentions of removing into I developed an ugly gash on the center of the screen. I'm also sending this unit back because of the long press issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Ah I understand did some goggling and I see what your saying about the film they use. I see it as no big deal but I would go with one of those glass protectors. Good luck on your exchange I hope they don't notice the branding gone missing. So far I've dropped the phone on the street but no damage to the screen. If I do get a nasty scratch I'd do the same as you and just peel the damn thing off and replace it with a glass one.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfercom View Post
    Ah I understand did some goggling and I see what your saying about the film they use. I see it as no big deal but I would go with one of those glass protectors. Good luck on your exchange I hope they don't notice the branding gone missing. So far I've dropped the phone on the street but no damage to the screen. If I do get a nasty scratch I'd do the same as you and just peel the damn thing off and replace it with a glass one.
    Did you read my post? The film does not have the Sony logo on it its on the glass

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Sony just sent me this

Dear Eric,

Thank you for contacting Sony*Xperia Online Support.

We apologize for the delay in this response. We understand that you have concerns regarding the Anti-Shatter Film on your phone. Xperia devices normally have a tempered and scratch-resistant display glass.
    In addition, the glass often has a shatterproof layer, an anti-shatter film (ASF), over it. The ASF is softer than the display glass, and thus less scratch-resistant.
    If the layer is peeled off the display will lose some its shatterproof characteristics.

The purpose of the anti-shatter film (ASF) is to make the display*
    withstand being dropped from greater heights. The anti-shatter film has a positive effect on the sensitivity and accuracy of the touch screen. In the unlikely event of the glass cracking, the ASF can protect against cuts.
    If a user peels off the ASF, the display loses its anti-shatter characteristics.

The ASF is a part of the device construction and helps to protect the display if the phone, for instance if the phone is dropped. Some consumers remove the ASF, which itself doesnt void the warranty of the device. However, any physical or cosmetic damages to the display and/or the back cover where the ASF is removed will void the warranty.

Thanked by:

Default Re: Xperia Z1s: screen scratches

Has anyone gone to their tmobile account on the z1s and run any of the.diagnostics or health report? Mine says my battery is in good shape and then it tells me it is overheating. I just want to know if this is accurate. Just got the phone in January 26 and my battery is overheating according to tmobile health check!!!!!!!

Give your furry friend a hug today :-D

tmob diag test Ha! if your phone is cold to the touch pay no mind it's just marketing...

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock (for now)

Yea I would ignore T-Mobile's diagnostic. If you're really concerned, download some good Battery Diagnostic app from the Play Store. Try Battery Doctor, I think it has a temperature feature.

Motorola Moto X Pure Edition (2nd Generation)
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3

Retired Devices:
    Sony Xperia Z1s, Droid DNA, Nexus 7, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid X2, Motorola Droid, Blackberry Bold 9000, iPhone 1st Generation

Sony just sent me this

Some consumers remove the ASF, which itself doesnt void the warranty of the device. However, any physical or cosmetic damages to the display and/or the back cover where the ASF is removed will void the warranty.

That made me just rethink if I should get this phone, depends what the z2 looks like at mwc I guess.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by techiecappydog View Post
    Has anyone gone to their tmobile account on the z1s and run any of the.diagnostics or health report? Mine says my battery is in good shape and then it tells me it is overheating. I just want to know if this is accurate. Just got the phone in January 26 and my battery is overheating according to tmobile health check!!!!!!!

Give your furry friend a hug today :-D
    I have run it and get the same results. Also the app is listed as a "beta." I call the result a "false positive."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast